Drug cartels set up operations in the DR to reach US and Europe

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Carteles-Narcotrafico-operan-en-RD-Diario-Libre-1024x663.png

Diario Libre has been covering reports that large drug cartels have set up operations in the Dominican Republic with apparently little done to shut these down now under the Abinader administration. Diario Libre reports the Global Organized Crime Index indicates the Dominican Republic continues to be an important transshipment point for cocaine, heroine, and extasis and a destination for cannabis. The country’s geographic location makes it a stopover for exporting to Europe and the United States.

Diario Libre points out that statistics of the DNCD indicate that in the first three quarters of the year 23,326.7 kilograms of cocaine were seized. In most of the confiscations of drugs, no one has been convicted.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The wording should be changed from, "have set up operations" to "have existed many years under previous administrations and continue to exist". The Diario Libre article makes it look like they arrived yesterday. What has happened is the cartels have used their ample resources to fully modernize their logistics thus outclassing the ability of pressured authorities who lack similar assets to help thwart criminal drug operations.

Regards,

PJT

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
But where are the details?? Are the drugs coming from South America by air or by sea ?? Are they being forwarded by air or by sea.?? And in what part of the DR . And what evidence is there that this problem has grown?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
But where are the details?? Are the drugs coming from South America by air or by sea ?? Are they being forwarded by air or by sea.?? And in what part of the DR . And what evidence is there that this problem has grown?
One sign could be the economy growing when it isn’t getting any easier to conduct business in the DR. If anything harder.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes, I can see that could be evidence of growth. I do remember that the DR had installed a radar system to cover the entire island so that the authorities could monitor flights and shipping. I wonder if this system is still functioning. I also remember that the DR drug agency changed nearly all their senior personal in some areas so I wonder if this agency is functioning better.. I can not understand why drugs from Colombia or Venezuela need to be transited in the DR when they could go directly. A transit just adds another point of detection.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, I can see that could be evidence of growth. I do remember that the DR had installed a radar system to cover the entire island so that the authorities could monitor flights and shipping. I wonder if this system is still functioning. I also remember that the DR drug agency changed nearly all their senior personal in some areas so I wonder if this agency is functioning better.. I can not understand why drugs from Colombia or Venezuela need to be transited in the DR when they could go directly. A transit just adds another point of detection.
The transit to the DR is a form of shell game the drug traffickers, mafias use to hide the movements of drug assets, launder their money, and make weapon deals. There is so much trafficking going on in the DR the authorities cannot nail it down. Cut off one head of the Hydra and two more appear to replace it.

Regards,

PJT

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
thank you ,,nice analogy and it seems that we need a Hercules. So you believe that the DR is used for drug transits because it is a good country to wash money . I thought that had been knocked on the head but maybe this is the money that will be used to develop the South West .

Reactions: aarhus

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A lot of the boats and aircraft that are bringing in the drugs don't have the range to make it to Europe.