Duarte & Paris Revitalization

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The president Luis Abinader started the works on the modernization of Duarte Ave with Paris. Former mayor David Collado and other members of the private sectirs such as the Vicini's abd Bonetti's and others are behind this change. This is the first phase.

oBuDoF.png

Juan Bautista Vicini, Ligia Bonetti, David Collado, Carolina Mejia (current mayor) and others during the event of initiation earlier today.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another declaration by Juan Bautista Vicini. A lot of emphasis on returning the public places to the city's citizenry (ie. sidewalks).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.
This area is notorious for street crime
day or night and dangerous as hell after 8pm
when (pre China) all of the shops close.

It's a major thoroughfare for some of the most
crime ridden neighborhoods of this country.

The illustrations pictured wouldn't provide
enough space for half the vendors who currently
sell their wares in and around that intersection.
I wonder where they'd be relocated too?
Good luck with it.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.
This area is notorious for street crime
day or night and dangerous as hell after 8pm
when (pre China) all of the shops close.

It's a major thoroughfare for some of the most
crime ridden neighborhoods of this country.

The illustrations pictured wouldn't provide
enough space for half the vendors who currently
sell their wares in and around that intersection.
I wonder where they'd be relocated too?
Good luck with it.

Really? I didn't know that. It's a bit seedy to me, but the last time I was there, about a month ago, there were the tourist police shoeing away the putas.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Going from 3 lanes to 1 is going to be a major headache. Each vendor with their little kiosk will overflow their wares out into the street and the folks shopping will end up in the only remaining lane.
A lane, BTW, where buses and publicos stop to drop off and pick up passengers and make 3 lanes virtually impassable. Imagine 1.
This will look nice when they build it, but will look like your worst nightmare come true after a month.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently, a part of the merchants will be relocated elsewhere (remains to be seen to where) and the rest will get a spot in the new kiosks. Supposedly, it's based on seniority, so merchants that have been there the longest will get priority to receive a kiosk.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
My opinion. Shops should only be on 1 side of the street. If they are moving it they should put it in the Mercado Modelo area that way all shopping can be in the same location.
The thing is there are already shops on both sides of the street.

The problems are those shops spilling out on the streets with their merchandise (If they don't, somebody else will), and the space you see in the pictures is the area below the elevated highway where folks started setting up shop on tables.

The merchants who have legitimate stores along Duarte and Paris have long ago given up on getting merchant squatters off the sidewalks and accepted that it can actually be good for business because it draws more people to the area.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is almost surreal.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This is almost surreal.

I never doubted this was going to come to fruition. David has a habit of keeping promises.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I never doubted this was going to come to fruition. David has a habit of keeping promises.
Well, partial promises is more like it. Look what he did with the malecon. It has to be the only malecon drive in the world that in a way resembles two-face.

u68bea.jpg

Most projects that David undertook when he was major tended to be like that. Hopefully that has changed now that he's the head of the Tourism Ministry.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This is the area underneath the elevated highway.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Yea, I think that's what NALS' vids show. I was never at the corner of Duarte/Paris, only on Duarte and on Paris for a bit. Generally the Boca Chica - Parque Enriquillo and back route.
Yep, you were a few blocks away.

A lot of people in those videos didn't look overjoyed at whats coming. Fatima in the second video was downright disrespectful to the reporter.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Remember that not too many people were joyed when the construction started of the first line of the metro. Plus, few saw any benefits.

Now people want metro lines on the left, on the right, and on the center. Of course, now that the people want a metro, the government cools down on expanding it. lol

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Remember that not too many people were joyed when the construction started of the first line of the metro. Plus, few saw any benefits.

Now people want metro lines on the left, on the right, and on the center. Of course, now that the people want a metro, the government cools doen on expanding it. lol
My guess is they're taking a second look at the original plans that were laid out for the entire system.

They are also working at nIght expanding the first line and adding more tracks due to the demand. The local news doesn't even cover that.

I bet we'll see something else happening in the not-so-far future.