Duck, Duck, Goose.... First time in 9 years I've seen this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Public Ministry arrests three people for the deaths of hundreds of migratory birds in Montecristi.​

MONTECRISTI (Dominican Republic) .- The Regional Attorney for the Environment and the Defense of Natural Resources in this town brought to justice three people accused of killing hundreds of ducks and other migratory birds in the Los Conucos community.

Through the arrest warrant 611-1 2020, issued by the Judicial Office of Permanent Attention Services of the Investigative Court of the Judicial District of Montecristi, the regional attorney for the Environment, Sonia Espejo, obtained the arrest of Salim William C. Nicolas, Pedro Andrés Almonte and José María Duquela (a) Muela.

The detainees are in the preventive prison of the National Police of Montecristi, to be presented before the Investigating Court that will hear the request for coercion measures.

The defendants are accused of hunting hundreds of birds, including wild ducks, from Florida, United States, and then displaying these animals on social networks, as a sign of pride, in violation of the General Law on the Environment (64 -00), Biodiversity Company Law (333-15), Protected Areas Law (202-4) and various resolutions of the Ministry of the Environment that prohibit the hunting of these animals that fly into the country seasonally.

The presentation of the accusation details that the men had uploaded videos to social networks, displaying the dead ducks. In addition, the Public Ministry initiated an investigation that allowed it to identify the scene of the events, obtain witness statements, locate those responsible, and finally capture them in coordination with the National Environmental Protection Service (SENPA).

Magistrate Espejo expressed that this fact cannot go unpunished, given the magnitude of the damage to biodiversity and nature caused by these people, by indiscriminately killing these birds, which move from Florida to the Dominican Republic and take refuge in the mangroves and other trees of the Montecristi province.

He highlighted that he has met with the main civil, governmental and police authorities of Montecristi, Dajabón and Santiago Rodríguez, with community leaders, churches, fathers and mothers clubs, with environmentalists and people who ensure the care and protection of Natural Resources, in search of raising awareness about the respect that citizens should have for the environment and natural resources and the sanctions that the violation of Law 64-00 implies.

Source: CitySantiago.com

It's about time the government started enforcing these types of laws.
CLUE:
Education is key.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I would hope not. They need to pay for sure. I'm assuming the fines they could get are enforceable. But I can't see prison as being productive in this case.
Well they did kill "hundreds of birds". I don't know if the DR is part of the migratory bird act like the US, Canada and Mexico.
That sort of behaviour is punishable by prison time here, as well as a hefty fine.
Nor was it said what the birds would be used/killed for. Farm raised game animals can be sold in restuarants here. Wild caught?
Fines, loss of business and possible jail time. Conversely, some game officials will let a small violation go under sustanence hunting. Like the need to feed family in some cases.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Well they did kill "hundreds of birds". I don't know if the DR is part of the migratory bird act like the US, Canada and Mexico.
That sort of behaviour is punishable by prison time here, as well as a hefty fine.
Nor was it said what the birds would be used/killed for. Farm raised game animals can be sold in restuarants here. Wild caught?
Fines, loss of business and possible jail time. Conversely, some game officials will let a small violation go under sustanence hunting. Like the need to feed family in some cases.

Yea it's punishable by jail time but again, is it productive? I would vote no.

Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There is a time and a place for killing.
This wasn't justified in my opinion. I say give them each a few years in prision as a warning to others who (carry the wild animal gene) may get the urge to do someting like this in the future.... don't.

Reactions: bienamor

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Why, because they killed birds? You might feel different if they blew away the cat/dog on your porch.
Same attitude about killing.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Why, because they killed birds? You might feel different if they blew away the cat/dog on your porch.
Same attitude about killing.
Shooting wild game is a sport. I have been doing it for decades (legally). Many birds and animals are considered pests and have little or no bag limit.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Shooting wild game is a sport. I have been doing it for decades (legally). Many birds and animals are considered pests and have little or no bag limit.
I’m sure if these guys had taken a dozen birds each, they wouldn’t have drawn so much attention to themselves.
Hundreds between 3 men? No plans to dress and clean them or feed them to people in need?

The pests are the men, not the birds.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I’m sure if these guys had taken a dozen birds each, they wouldn’t have drawn so much attention to themselves.
Hundreds between 3 men? No plans to dress and clean them or feed them to people in need?

The pests are the men, not the birds.
wrong! killing certain types of invasive species is considered a service to the ecosystem, that's why there is no limit on hunting and killing them. feral pigs, prairie dogs, crow, fox, cayote etc. Shooting crow and prairie dogs is a sport and no one eats them

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
wrong! killing certain types of invasive species is considered a service to the ecosystem, that's why there is no limit on hunting and killing them. feral pigs, prairie dogs, crow, fox, cayote etc. Shooting crow and prairie dogs is a sport and no one eats them
This thread has nothing to do with invasive species. You’re taking it out of context.

If the men killed 100 Lionfish, they probably wouldn’t be in trouble. What do feral pigs, prairie dogs, or coyotes have to do with the Dominican Republic? Stay on topic.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This thread has nothing to do with invasive species. You’re taking it out of context.

If the men killed 100 Lionfish, they probably wouldn’t be in trouble. What do feral pigs, prairie dogs, or coyotes have to do with the Dominican Republic? Stay on topic.
wrong again ! the article was about "poaching" and I was giving an example just as you attempted to do with "lionfish". Putting men in jail for shooting game seems drastic, especially when a drunk driver will not even get a second look from the P.D. We are in a country that encourages cock fighting everyday all over the island but a couple of guys shoot some birds that the U.S.A says are protected and its jail time....bogus

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
You’ve gone from invasive species, to species not found in the Dominican Republic, to cock fighting.

The birds shot were not invasive.

The species you named (except crows) are all foreign.

I only see the point about cock fighting.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
You’ve gone from invasive species, to species not found in the Dominican Republic, to cock fighting.

The birds shot were not invasive.

The species you named (except crows) are all foreign.

I only see the point about cock fighting.
please try to stay on topic, are rats invasive ??

• Wow
Reactions: Sailor51

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Know from whence you speak. Crows ARE covered under the migratory species act. as are vultures and buzzards.
Never heard of "...eating crow..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.