Eager to Share Insights on Dominican Republic Real Estate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2024
Punta Cana
No doubt Dominicans are excluded from the world community, by visa requirements which most can never fulfill.
Even married to a Canadian with proof of financial solvency, in many cases travel visas are not issued.
The excuse "We assume that you will not return to your country after expiry of your visa". return air tickets also did not help.

Many don't want to apply for permanent residency, just travel and visit.

However, visa requirements for Dominicans are the result of overstay and illegal work by many, who now screwed it up for all Dominicans.
Living here I see the Dominican attitude of doing whatever they want, fkuk the laws, zero consideration for others, no clue of public comportment.
There are a few exceptions but the majority operates as stated above.

Your government wants affluent foreigners/tourism to stay and enables tax collection through overstay fines.

Most are from the US, CAN, EU.......with some Russians Eastern EU sprinkled in.
Money is gained in Russia and E. EU, China by corruption and crime, that's the government structure.
Real estate purchases and money laundering are the easiest ways.

Refugees from Haiti or other Latin (except drug money) countries don't bring money and are just a burden on the DR.
The overstayers form US, CAN, EU have money and are zero burden, but a net gain.
The drunks and whoremongers are dying out, a thing of the past to a large extent.

Playing by the local rules as Dominicans are doing is skirt the law, screw foreigners by overcharging whenever possible, cry discrimination.
When IN US, CAN, EU Dominicans are treated with respect, helped and not overcharged.

The mentality of average Dominicans will not be changed in our lifetime.
The educated elite which also travels and knows the world will remain a small percentage of the DR population.

I can only hope that foreigners wake up from their unrealistic Tropical Fantasies.
Live here at lest 3-5 years full time, then decide if real estate purchases for gringo prices in USD and monthly maintenance payments in USD are worth it
for lifestyle or ROI.
I live with Dominicans in a Dominican neighbourhood.
It's not for everyone for me only part of the year as I can not stand it full time.
I have many options in N. America and EU, with infrastructure, laws, and much better prices on food and consumer goods.

For those with play money, play and buy in the DR.
For most 500K to one Million USD is NOT a smart financial investment in the DR, with many other attractive options off island.

I understand that you may be a very decent person trying to make a living in the DR.
You can also advertise and pay for your business on dr1.
I understand your perspective, but let's not paint all Dominicans with the same brush. While every country faces its challenges, many Dominicans are hardworking individuals who contribute positively to society and who don't necesarilly want to leave the country.
For most 500K to one Million USD is NOT a smart financial investment in the DR, with many other attractive options off island. <- this is your opinion, but the truth wears many face.

Anyways, when and if I decide to advertise my business, I'll still be commenting here.

Jan 22, 2024
Punta Cana
See my post #19. To which of course you did not respond. Just my point of view. You are involved in an industry that is exploiting the DR at the expense of all that has been good about it. Your family is not Dominican (correct me if I am wrong - but you exhibit the traits of a foreigner - and speak that way as well).

Punta Cana is becoming Disneyland/Orlando with the entire focus on foreign tourists. And, over-run with Airbnb apartments. The real estate business is complicit in these (to my family) obnoxious and undesirable changes. They promote buying apartments to rent them out for short term stays. To the detriment of anyone who wants to live as a resident of the community. For these reasons, we recently sold our homes there that we and various family members lived in. We have invested in land to the north where we may or may not build a home. That was our intention but it looks like the same will happen there (Miches). [The government is spending substantial amounts of money to attract more than 10 million tourists a year. A whole different topic.]

I will also note that the real estate sales industry in the DR is unregulated. Hence, there are many inexperienced, unethical people in the business who like to call themselves real estate agents. And, since they have no experience or skills in the business, they are only able to push to buy the new projects and are incapable of finding a particular property that their clients may want.

We are currently living in La Romana where we have a house.
Yes you are wrong. Born and raised Dominican. A common mistake.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yes you are wrong. Born and raised Dominican. A common mistake.
I did not ask if you were born here. My reference was to your family. To what year do they date their heritage in the RD? My wife's family has traced their heritage back to the 1700's. Before that were Tainos. And, subsequently, a multitude of occupiers.

Sadly, my family's involvment in the DR goes back to the US occupation in the early 1900's.

Fair to say, we can stop with this family history discussion. You came here to promote your industry. It is simply that the RD has been exploited by a sequence of occupiers for hundreds of years. And, the exploitation continues, now at a pace equally intense as at any time in the past.

Exploitation is different than building a country and its social systems. I am all in favor of building good things. In our family we have four small busineses that sell products to a mostly Dominican clientele. We were next going to build a house in Miches, but as you see in my earlier post now possibly not. The vultures are circling there now too.

If someone wants to start a thread about Dominican history, it might be useful. I am occupied at the moment. But, easy to find history through a variety of sources.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I'm going to assign this to NALs
:rolleyes: I guess. Interesting guy. I think he is/was an economist. I see long involved posts. But, I guess I am too slow to get the entire relevance. Actually, I do hope to see a response or comment. Always interested in specific points of views. Whether I agree with them or not. Only a few times have I been sufficiently motivated to call bs on any post. Not never. But rarely. Some are just amusing. Some valuable. Viva DR1.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I did not ask if you were born here. My reference was to your family. To what year do they date their heritage in the RD? My wife's family has traced their heritage back to the 1700's. Before that were Tainos. And, subsequently, a multitude of occupiers.

Sadly, my family's involvment in the DR goes back to the US occupation in the early 1900's.

Fair to say, we can stop with this family history discussion. You came here to promote your industry. It is simply that the RD has been exploited by a sequence of occupiers for hundreds of years. And, the exploitation continues, now at a pace equally intense as at any time in the past.

Exploitation is different than building a country and its social systems. I am all in favor of building good things. In our family we have four small busineses that sell products to a mostly Dominican clientele. We were next going to build a house in Miches, but as you see in my earlier post now possibly not. The vultures are circling there now too.

If someone wants to start a thread about Dominican history, it might be useful. I am occupied at the moment. But, easy to find history through a variety of sources.
Exploited? flashing the victim card eh.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Exploited? flashing the victim card eh.
I don't necessarily think the people that buy apartments to rent them out with the promise they can pay for them with rental income while they are not there are victims. Exploited? Maybe. Maybe not. It is possible in some situations both parties walk away better off ex ante.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Why not just let the OP share her market information on real estate in Punta Cana. Some of you posters on here have lost me thats for sure. And first you think she is an expat in the DR and then when it turns out she is Dominican that becomes the main topic. I don’t understand this forum anymore.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
For years, there was an acronym NIMBY. "Not In My Back Yard" It was used by those who were not against development, but they did not want it near them. Now it seems that around the world, the new mantra is BANANA. "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone" How can you be anti home and hotel development if you live, own, rent or visit homes and hotels? If they are overbuilding in the DR, the situation will correct itself.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Why not just let the OP share her market information on real estate in Punta Cana. Some of you posters on here have lost me thats for sure. And first you think she is an expat in the DR and then when it turns out she is Dominican that becomes the main topic. I don’t understand this forum anymore.
You can be proactive here Aarhus as a DR real estate guru you should reach out to Palm Beach Pam and exchange strategies!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The DR does well with foreign investment. Countries like China have invested millions of dollars in DR infrastructure. There are other countries that do the same. With regard to residential and commercial real estate, I wouldn’t say there is resistance. There is skepticism and caution because in the DR, things are never as they seem.

Property buyers in North America, the UK, and Europe are used to legal safeguards when they purchase or invest in property. The agents have to pass stringent certifications and are legal liable for any wrongdoing. Lawyers involved in the process are well trained in real estate law. A registry of deeds is maintained to track the sale of properties. Squatters rights is not recognized legally.

The DR is the polar opposite. Anyone can sell real estate in the DR with no training and certifications. They are not legally liable for any problems created by their lack of knowledge of the properties they are selling. Many agents misinform buyers and are not taken to court for damages. Certain lawyers take large fees up front and it takes years to get a Deslinde deed registered. Previously it wasn’t expensive and it took less than a year to get your deed. Many buyers have left their property for a period of time and returned to find it occupied illegally by Dominicans and it costs a lot of money and time to get them evicted.

The reality is the DR justice system favours Dominicans and discriminates against foreigners. This forum has hundreds of horror story posts about buyers who have been ripped off by DR agents, lawyers, and the DR justice system.

The posters here are not against you personally. They are very cautious about dealing with the DR real estate system. You happen to be part of it.
More exact is that the DR justice system, like in most countries favors the rich and connected. We have several properties bought before deslinde was considered important, and one is still waiting for proper title and deslind( three years plus). All of our other and more recent purchases have been with completed deslinde with proper title, often with title transfer complete within a month. We have a decent lawyer and a good surveyor. Sometimes it is very complicated when you buy a property that family are selling that the parents owned because every child, and sometimes grandchildren are entitled to their piece of the pie so hunting down people for signatures, is very time involving and complicated by family dynamics.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I don't see where anyone thought she is an expat. Foreigner does not equal expat. So being born here makes you Dominican? I guess so - all the Hatian babies born here are now Dominican. Topic for another day. Too many complicated subjects rolled into this one about real estate. Good call. I'm out. [I'm not saying she's Haitian either just to avoid further confusion :ROFLMAO:]

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
You can start. Contribute with what you know on RE in the DR. I am sure you know something. Maybe share some useful information.

People are sharing useful real estate information.

"
[IMG alt="franco1111"]https://dr00.b-cdn.net/forums/data/avatars/s/63/63027.jpg?1631480362[/IMG]

franco1111

Bronze​

Believe it or not, i have lived here for longer ! Why is there such resistance to foreign investment and to my line of work here?
See my post #19. To which of course you did not respond. Just my point of view. You are involved in an industry that is exploiting the DR at the expense of all that has been good about it. Your family is not Dominican (correct me if I am wrong - but you exhibit the traits of a foreigner - and speak that way as well).

Punta Cana is becoming Disneyland/Orlando with the entire focus on foreign tourists. And, over-run with Airbnb apartments. The real estate business is complicit in these (to my family) obnoxious and undesirable changes. They promote buying apartments to rent them out for short term stays. To the detriment of anyone who wants to live as a resident of the community. For these reasons, we recently sold our homes there that we and various family members lived in. We have invested in land to the north where we may or may not build a home. That was our intention but it looks like the same will happen there (Miches). [The government is spending substantial amounts of money to attract more than 10 million tourists a year. A whole different topic.]

I will also note that the real estate sales industry in the DR is unregulated. Hence, there are many inexperienced, unethical people in the business who like to call themselves real estate agents. And, since they have no experience or skills in the business, they are only able to push to buy the new projects and are incapable of finding a particular property that their clients may want.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't see where anyone thought she is an expat. Foreigner does not equal expat. So being born here makes you Dominican? I guess so - all the Hatian babies born here are now Dominican. Topic for another day. Too many complicated subjects rolled into this one about real estate. Good call. I'm out. [I'm not saying she's Haitian either just to avoid further confusion :ROFLMAO:]
Flaming now, are we.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
People are sharing useful real estate information.

"
[IMG alt="franco1111"]https://dr00.b-cdn.net/forums/data/avatars/s/63/63027.jpg?1631480362[/IMG]

franco1111

Bronze​

It does seem more and more as if the DR wants to grow tourism and isn’t particularly interested in foreigners as permanent residents. So the Airbnb business is growing because tourism is growing. Booming. Permanent legal residents. Not so much.

There is not a real estate licensing system in the DR. But Pamala is an experienced realtor in the Punta Cana area. It’s an advantage for the experienced realtors as you can’t just take a course, get a license and then claim you are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.