Earthquakes in the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ENmB6yFU4AAiQWA.jpg

From a Twitter response on the PR quakes.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Please report on the earthquakes in Puerto Rico and if this is the same fault that runs through the Dominican Republic.

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
This is the 3rd large quake in Puerto Rico in a few days, every time getting stronger. Yes it is the same fault line that runs through the Dominican Republic.

Did anybody feel this quake in the Punta Cana area?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/us/puerto-rico-earthquake-tuesday/index.html

Woke up the wife this morning in El Cortecito, Bavaro, PC. She said the floor shook and doors rattled for about 5-6 seconds.
I slept through it (around 4:20 am local time)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My wife says she felt it at around 4:20 as well. We are in the Uvero Alto area.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Nature has done a flip flop

If one sees the earthquake activity of the DR and Puerto Rico on the USGS website over the years an interesting anomaly can be determined. Up until now most reported quakes have been to the north of the island along the Puerto Rican Trench fault line. It appears over the past week there have been very few reported quakes of all magnitudes along the trench. All, if not most recent activity has been clustered in the south of the island and its close offshore locations. This south region up until recently has had a low percentage of seismic activity compared to that occurring the northern trench. Its as if nature has done a flip flop.

Wonder if there is an explanation.

Regards,

PJT

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you choose to live in an area that is prone to sizable earthquakes, it's a safe bet that if you stay long enough, you'll be in one.

That big one you referenced, it's still coming some day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This happened the day before I came to live in Cabarete full time. I flew here from California via New York where I attended my father's funeral. A noteworthy time for a couple of reasons:

2003 Dominican Republic earthquake
The 2003 Dominican Republic earthquake occurred on September 22 at with a moment magnitude of 6.4 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII. The shock occurred on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic near the town of Luperon, Puerto Plata and north the city of Santiago de los Caballeros