Ebola and The Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
(Part 1)

Interesting non-political perspective from a nurse named Dustin Tolar who is experienced with infectious diseases:

Ebola, A Nurse's Perspective
Part 2:

Thank you for reading. Please feel free to comment.

Symptoms* I have had a lot of comments in regards to this. I picked my words carefully, but I never imagined getting thousands of views an hour, or my article getting picked apart, but I will try to elaborate now. I said spread, the virus, I did not say you were contagious. What I meant by this, was the summation of two concepts. To fully explain everything I could write a book, but this is meant to be short and sweet. The first concept is that of a fomite. We have established that the virus can survive for an unspecified amount of time outside the host, and we have established that sneezing/coughing is a perfectly logical method of transmission. So if patient A is infectious/contagious, they sneeze on patient B, but then patient B goes home and picks up their sisters 1 6 month old, who rubs his face, and licks all over your shoulder, he could very well have just orally consumed large quantities of the virus, therefore become patient C. Patient B never got sick, the virus never entered their system, yet they are responsible for spreading the virus to someone else. This is why the 5 exposed kids are so important, there may only be a 2% chance or whatever that they’ll get sick, but if they went to school, and each rubbed up against 500 kids in the hallways, you now have 2500 exposed kids, 50 of which will statistically become infected, 25 of which will probably die. No I do not have a source for the 2%, that is just an EXAMPLE number used to represent the relatively low likelihood of contracting the virus if exposed, granted the R0 factor of R2 is correct. Remember, heal the patient, PROTECT the community. The second concept of this is defining “symptom”. Lets assume it means anything other than your baseline condition. That means the first signs of being contagious, are also the more mild symptoms, sneezy, achy, nausea, flu-like symptoms. So who is going to wake up, feel a little under the weather, and think, crap, I have Ebola, better get quarantined, no, THAT’S how you start fear mongering and mass panic. Again, flu season is upon us, the initial stages of Ebola are like the flu, and its human nature to be in denial, so many people, if infected, would hope its just the flu and wait it out, they are not showing symptoms indicative of Ebola, but they ARE symptomatic of something, and therefore, by the CDC definition, would be contagious. Its also normal procedure for people to be symptomatic BEFORE seeking medical care, so technically, everyone will be contagious, BEFORE knowing they have Ebola. But like I said before, I omitted this lengthy explanation because I didn’t feel it was necessary for the point of the article.

ADDENDUM: Sadly, I feel the need to point out that the title of this blog is “Ebola, A Nurse’s Perspective”, not “A Nurse’s Guide to Surviving the Apocalypse”, or “How to Become an Ebola Expert in 15 minutes”. It could just as well be “Hamburgers, A Chef’s Perspective” and no one would be hounding me over grammar, a misplaced comma, or wanting citations as to why I say it should be on the grill 5 minutes per side of 7 minutes per side. The point is those things are irrelevant to the goal of the article, this is MY perspective (a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.) I don’t have to prove anything, the point of my article is to take what the uneducated (in a medical sense) journalists say, what the talking heads on TV say, and then let you know what the people say who are on the front lines. That’s like discrediting your grandads account of what happened when he stormed Normandy beach, because its not what your history teacher told you. Have I experienced Ebola first hand? Nope, have I experienced a WHOLE lot of other things that the majority of the population has not? You bet your ass I have, and I felt the need to take the time to hopefully help other people out a little. So please keep that in mind, I’m not perfect, but my experiences are my experiences, and I wanted to share them with you, to let you inside the head of a nurse for a minute.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This is by a long margin the most important topic one must clearly understand to avoid fatalities close to home.

The DR is NOT ready for anything called EBOLA. Zilch, nada!

Being proactive doesn't mean to ask questions on de-boarding, or to go visit tourist that could potentially be carriers after the effect. Once Ebola lands in the DR, it will be a miracle to isolate it, least of all have control over the trail it left behind.

The guidelines offered by WHO or the CDC are just that: Minimum acceptable safety standards. They don't address the reality of a virus that can kill with efficiency and even now lacks a weakness to anything drug makers can muster.

We already know the point of spread, where it stands on the eastern hemisphere and how still lucky we are not to have an outbreak with all the travel back and forth.

It's the sane and most logical solution to have all travel from any point outside to our hemisphere, take a quarantine time-out.

Europe, Africa, and possibly Asia are already exposed or in the way to it as we know it. Why wait for an outbreak here on our side?

Ebola should be treated solely as a WMD on the loose.

If even one of you still thinks that a pair of nurses donning protective gear and facing a lethal killer virus like Ebola, somehow would skip protocol and be exposed on their own dime as said by the CDC, do I have a continent to sell you for a nickle.

I have been following the Ebola threat ever since it reached alarm level on the U.N. When you start to see DOCTORS that are EXPOSED day after day to Ebola stricken patients and still think it was by bad luck or skipping protocol they got infected in their volunteered time there, boy!

This is like saying a gunsmith that takes care of cooked bullets from guns, will somehow see fit to skip protocol and point the barrel of the gun holding the cooked cartridge to his forehead as O.k. to do so.

Those healthcare workers and doctors were infected because the virus already mutated and found new ways to travel to other hosts.

Imagine this for a minute: Would the powers that be, post online/media that there's a strain of the virus that can be airborne and infect a sh*t load of people?

What do you think will happen?

Obama, instead of leading the American Continent as the world superpower and neighbor should, is dragging his feet once again on a critical issue that will affect every American denizen. Be clear that I meant American as on the American continent, not just a slice between Canada and Mexico.

It's doable! By just picking two isolated islands (one of each side, Pacific and Atlantic) where to have planes land and quarantine the travelers until cleared to gain entry to any country on our backyard.

We're acting like kids that found a half interred object on the lawn and use an stick to probe it, only that the thingy is a 1,000,000,000 kiloton nuclear weapon ticking away with no fail-safe... That is Ebola as we must know it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am sure, the Secret Service and the FBI are already looking for her.... :alien:

donP
Could be. HIS piece was about the most real-world solid I've read.

As a sidenote, Tom Clancy used weaponized Ebola as a subplot in his book, Executive Orders. Good read.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You were quiet correct.

Bronzee took segments from the WHO article and posted them selectively, and totally out of context. Even to the extent of leaving out key words in a sentence, which , when left out totally changes the thrust of the point being made. Then making completely inaccurate interpretations as if it were also part of the article.

Extremely disingenuous, especially when discussing something like Ebola.

Really??? Show me where key words in a sentence were left out. I chose the paragraphs
to be posted. You want to learn more about it? Then go to the link and read it. That's why
the link is posted. I posted the paragraphs that had to do with the topic.

The WHO has stated that now a person can get ebola through indirect contact also not just
through direct. And that is what I posted.

Tell me what inaccurate interpretations are not part of the article.

Last edited:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You were quiet correct.

Bronzee took segments from the WHO article and posted them selectively, and totally out of context. Even to the extent of leaving out key words in a sentence, which , when left out totally changes the thrust of the point being made. Then making completely inaccurate interpretations as if it were also part of the article.

Extremely disingenuous, especially when discussing something like Ebola.

and you talk about people watching too much foooookin fox network.......you're just as brainwashed by the foooookin bbc ........now go and read the fooookin report and prove Bronzee wrong.....or (and I hate to say this) Pichardo.....

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
fOR YOUR INFO THE EBOLA VIRUS HAS MUTATED AND IS STILL MUTATING THE LONGER
IT SPREADS THROUGH PEOPLE. BUT ACCORDING TO SOME EXPERTS IT HAS NOT
MUTATED TO AIR BORNE BUT IT HAS MUTATED IN OTHER WAYS. BUT IT CAN BE SPREAD THROUGH DIRECT AND INDIRECT CONTACT AS WELL. IF SOMEONE IS INFECTED AND A PERSON
DOES NOT KNOW IT AND TOUCHES ANYTHING THAT PERSON TOUCHED, HE TOO CAN BECOME INFECTED.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-warns-deadly-virus-changing-contagious.html

Ebola Is Rapidly Mutating As It Spreads Across West Africa : Goats and Soda : NPR

BUT ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE OR THE WRITER NOT ME IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE
THAT I DID NOT ADD ONE WORD OR THOUGHT IN THE ARTICLE. IT IS THE WRITER OF
THE ARTICLE WHO IS SAYING IT.

SO WHO IS TWISTING THE WORDS FROM THE ARTICLE? AM I THE WRITER?
THOSE ARE NOT MY WORDS.

WHO LEFT OUT KEY WORDS? i GOT THEM FROM THE ARTICLE, SO HOW COULD I HAVE
LEFT OUT ANY KEY WORDS. DID I WRITE THE ARTICLE?:rolleyes:

I LEFT NOTHING OUT IF YOU WANT TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE IT IS THERE FOR ANYONE
TO READ.

BY THE WAY POST THE LINK FROM WHO FOR ALL OF US TO READ.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS GET OVER YOUR HATRED OF DOMINICANS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING
ON THIS SITE IF YOU CANNOT STAND DOMINICANS?

GO PICK ON SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT. I AM JUST WASTING MY
TIME DISCUSSING A TOPIC SUCH AS EBOLA WITH THE LIKES OF YOU.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
From the man who discovered ebola :

'In 1976 I discovered Ebola - now I fear an unimaginable tragedy'

The virus is continually changing its genetic makeup. The more people who become infected, the greater the chance becomes that it will mutate ...

... which might speed its spread. Yes, that really is the apocalyptic scenario. Humans are actually just an accidental host for the virus, and not a good one. From the perspective of a virus, it isn't desirable for its host, within which the pathogen hopes to multiply, to die so quickly. It would be much better for the virus to allow us to stay alive longer.

Could the virus suddenly change itself such that it could be spread through the air?

Like measles, you mean? Luckily that is extremely unlikely. But a mutation that would allow Ebola patients to live a couple of weeks longer is certainly possible and would be advantageous for the virus. But that would allow Ebola patients to infect many, many more people than is currently the case.

But that is just speculation, isn't it?

Certainly. But it is just one of many possible ways the virus could change to spread itself more easily. And it is clear that the virus is mutating.

'In 1976 I discovered Ebola - now I fear an unimaginable tragedy' | World news | The Observer

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I KNEW it......!!!!................ It's all the Dominicans fault.

A little suggestion.............. If you are going to quote from an article it would be an idea to put it into QUOTATION MARKS......... rather than write, as you did,..."Read this which I posted in the other
Ebola thread"

It's really you and Hammmeryboy that should actually read the WHO bulletin....... Get the link yourself.

It's useless to argue with ignorance....!!

I don't need to put anything in quotations. Everyone who read it knew and understood. If you
would've read the link instead of coming out like a bat of of hell, you would've gotten it, instead
of running your mouth and ending having to put your foot in it.

Talking about ignorance? Look at yourself really good in the mirror. Words fail me to describe
your rants. The only one not to get it. Who's the ignorant one?:rolleyes:

Good! Next time don't quote me and all will be fine.

And no I do not need to read the WHO bulletin as much as you do. I prefer to
her about ebola from experts.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
If you do not wish to plagiarize someone else's writing, thoughts and interpretations, you should put their words into quotation marks. It's not difficult.

Taking credit for writing something, and then, when it is pointed out to be a load of nonsense, saying.......ohhhhhhhh....that wasn't me......... I just copied it from some other guy,,,,!! ....."Everyone who read it knew and understood"........Oh yeah.......how do you come to that conclusion.......gimmie a break.

It's useless to argue with ignorance.

Something is seriously wrong with you. Go see a shrink.

Yes, it is useless to argue with ignorance. If you would've gone to the link and read it like everybody
else did/does then you would know. No one else had a problem with it except you.

That's why links are posted, read it!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
If you do not wish to plagiarize someone else's writing, thoughts and interpretations, you should put their words into quotation marks. It's not difficult.

Taking credit for writing something, and then, when it is pointed out to be a load of nonsense, saying.......ohhhhhhhh....that wasn't me......... I just copied it from some other guy,,,,!! ....."Everyone who read it knew and understood"........Oh yeah.......how do you come to that conclusion.......gimmie a break.

Raaaayyyy,
You got Nurse Ratchet all riled up!
She's now spelling in CAPITAL letters and her persecution complex has kicked in.
Be careful she may write you private hate mail and threaten to report you to Robert!

Ebola is deadly serious, the death toll is now over 4500. The DR is poorly equipped to deal with it. Panicking people will not help.
Ebola patients have been successfully treated for the disease.
Ignorance is like a deadly virus.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Unbelievable! Now the other one crawls from underneath his rock.The duo ( Heckle and Jeckle).
Go crawl back with your so called happily married wife, yeah it shows just how happy you are!:cheeky:

To discuss the truths and findings of ebola is creating panic? So who are the ones that are fearful?

If to know the truth creates panic, then truly ignorance is bliss for many.

Yeah, they have a vaccine for EVERYONE so no need for the ignorant to worry, keep dreaming.

Last edited:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I read a quote the other day (just for you raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay i put it it quotation marks):

"The general public doesn't know what's going on. Worse yet is they don't even know that they don't know."

Looks like a few fit into this category......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ms.,...?LL SPICE? is following the conspiracy theorist guidelines.
If you have no reliable facts to support your THEORY, use PERSONAL ATTACKS to discredit your adversary.
Add to THAT, she has fallen back on the Dominican rule, If you don't like what they say, call them a LIER!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No hope for this ONCE IMPORTANT THREAD NOW!!!!!

She has turned it into a ?PI$$ING WAR?.

?NO FUI YO?!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Hammeryboy.......... It's the internet. You will find commentary to support, defend, and strengthen any argument on any subject. There are wackos everywhere with a keyboard.

But, you should also be prepared for your silly comments to be scrutinized.

Bronzeeee has made a big issue of this World Health Organization bulletin and has been rabbaling on about it in several threads. Only thing is, she obviously did not read the bulletin. She also did not quote from it. She took someone else's wacko commentary on it, which omitted words and sentences to suit their agenda.

She makes a big deal out of the WHO bulletin..............and then cheerfully writes....." And no I do not need to read the WHO bulletin as much as you do. I prefer to her about ebola from experts."

Spreading disinformation is not helpful on a subject like this. This is a terrible disease that by all accounts is going to get worse before it gets better. But, to spread fear on a disease that has had 20 major outbreaks in forty years, all controlled, is disingenuous at best.

I 'm spreading disinformation and yet not one of you clowns can point out what that disinformation
is. Yes, I just did go on the WHO website and it states that ebola can be transmitted through
direct AND indirect contact. Your partner when I asked him to post what he said stated to look
it up yourself. So I am just to believe the nonsense that comes out of his mouth and yours with
nothing to back it up. Now who is the ignorant one.

Spreading fear? Again who is scared? The only ones who are babbling about it is you and your
sidekick. Now I know that to disclose the truth means fear. So if your scared then don't
read the threads, and just think happy thoughts and it will go away.

From WHO:

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with
infection resulting from DIRECT contact through broken skin or mucous membranes with
the blood, secretions, organs, or other body fluids of infected, symptomatic persons,
and INDIRECT contact with environments contaminated with such fluids.

Translation: whatever the infected person touches is contaminated.

DId you read the bulletin? Obviously not.:classic:

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/EVD_WestAfrica_WHO_RiskAssessment_20140624.pdf?ua=1&ua=1

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I 'm spreading disinformation and yet not one of you clowns can point out what that disinformation
is. Yes, I just did go on the WHO website and it states that ebola can be transmitted through
direct AND indirect contact. Your partner when I asked him to post what he said stated to look
it up yourself. So I am just to believe the nonsense that comes out of his mouth and yours with
nothing to back it up. Now who is the ignorant one.

Spreading fear? Again who is scared? The only ones who are babbling about it is you and your
sidekick. Now I know that to disclose the truth means fear. So if your scared then don't
read the threads, and just think happy thoughts and it will go away.

From WHO:

Ebola then spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with
infection resulting from DIRECT contact through broken skin or mucous membranes with
the blood, secretions, organs, or other body fluids of infected, symptomatic persons,
and INDIRECT contact with environments contaminated with such fluids.

Translation: whatever the infected person touches is contaminated.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/EVD_WestAfrica_WHO_RiskAssessment_20140624.pdf?ua=1&ua=1

You and your sidekick sound so much alike I got confused. It was you whom I asked to post the link
from WHO as you were the one babbling about it.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You and your sidekick sound so much alike I got confused. It was you whom I asked to post the link
from WHO as you were the one babbling about it.

Can I join and make a trio? I haven't got Chicky yet, and I am not getting Ebola. And, I spend half my time in the DR, and the other half in Africa! I should be dead by now. Must be the rum.

Propaganda and fear mongering...

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Can I join and make a trio? I haven't got Chicky yet, and I am not getting Ebola. And, I spend half my time in the DR, and the other half in Africa! I should be dead by now. Must be the rum.

Propaganda and fear mongering...

Tell that to WHO not me. I really don't care.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
is.

Classic,,,,,yes indeed......... Now you have gone from simply disingenuous to outright dishonest. You were ranting and raving, and quoting about a WHO bulletin of 6th October. Now, as if to substantiate your b/s, you quote a line from a completely different article.......Gimme a break....!

And then you give YOUR own translation......hee hee......."Translation: whatever the infected person touches is contaminated. "

Your idiotic translation is not required. That is my point..!... Nobody needs you to translate a perfectably well written document, with your far reaching slant.

You say..." Translation: whatever the infected person touches is contaminated. "

Here are the exact words.....verbatim, from the bulletin you sited.

"The Ebola virus is transmitted among humans through close and direct physical contact with infected bodily fluids, the most infectious being blood, faeces and vomit.

The Ebola virus can also be transmitted indirectly, by contact with previously contaminated surfaces and objects. The risk of transmission from these surfaces is low and can be reduced even further by appropriate cleaning and disinfection procedures.

WHO is not aware of any studies that actually document this mode of transmission. On the contrary, good quality studies from previous Ebola outbreaks show that all cases were infected by direct close contact with symptomatic patients. "

Your translation again........"whatever the infected person touches is contaminated"

And you managed that translation from this....."good quality studies from previous Ebola outbreaks show that all cases were infected by direct close contact with symptomatic patients. "

SMH Yes the surface can be cleaned and disinfected IF someone knows that the surface was touched
by an infected person. But IF someone who does not know it and touches it CAN become infected.

If someone walks into an infected person's house without realizing it and touches some surfaces
he can become infected. The virus is in the fluids.

I quoted the MODE of transmission NOT the proper way to clean or disinfect
contaminated materials as that was not the topic.

Check the studies when it was conducted as there are recent updates since the
virus is constantly mutating the longer it is infecting people.

Continue trying to lessen your fears any which way you can. I am done talking to some
ignorants believe what you want. Time will tell.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Keep repeating yourself like a parrot. When the ebola virus hits your area, don't do anything.
Just stay where you are you'll be just fine. :classic: That is what you convey. Yes, everyone
will listen to you.

Proven wrong you say? Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.