Economic Imperialists should go home if Haiti is to solve its own problems internally

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
I don't have the report function either and I bet many others don't. It might be good if people checked and posted here if they also don't have it. I might be a systemic issue.

Perhaps you could post the instructions, not PM them. Is is possible that it has been turned off for new accounts with an update or something?
Thanks to whoever "flipped the switch" so that miraculously there's now the report option.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, my man.
I am having a great Saturday night.
Most likely much better than yours.
And quite lucid. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you ‼️
Life is short...pray hard.

Hey, what are the odds on a miracle tomorrow morning❓
Greater than Haiti not remaining a failed state for at least another 100 years.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is the potential game changer for Haiti:
Oil in Haiti
- By Dr. Georges Michel ------------

Since time immemorial, it is no secret that in the basement of the two states that share the island of Haiti and the surrounding waters, there are significant deposits of oil still untapped, it No one knows why. Already in the early twentieth century, the physical and political map of the island of Haiti, erected in 1908 by Mr. Alexander and Henry Poujol Thomasset, reported a major oil field in Haiti near source of Rio Todo El Mondo, Tributary Right Artibonite River, known today as the River Thomonde. (the word he would Thomonde de Todo El Mondo?) the deposit of oil in question straddles the boundary between the boroughs of Hinche and Mirebalais in a mountainous area located at the foot of the chain of the Black Mountains, direction due west of Thomond.

The same map indicates an oil field in the plain of Azua Dominican, a short distance north of the Dominican Republic in the town of Azua. According to our information, the latter bearing the Dominican Republic had been operating effectively in the first half of this century it had produced up to 60,000 barrels of oil per day and had been closed because it was considered to then "sufficiently profitable. Always remain in the Dominican Republic, was announced in 1982 it was discovered in front of the plain of Azua, a huge oil field offshore the coast of Barahona, but that this deposit had been left untapped.

Perhaps that what the Imperialist are really after! www.lngplants.com/HaitiGeology.htm

Olly and the Team

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I hate to keep repeating myself...but must I remind ALL here that the nation of Haiti was founded because they got tired of "Economic Imperialists".

Quick review of history will help everyone get up to speed on this issue.
Now just because the "Economic Imperialists" were run out of town once, does not mean they are not running their same game in a different way.
History?....The French left because they were run out of town....or they left because there was little money left to be had...........

Reactions: Russell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It would be Haiti's like that the oil would attempt to be exploited when oil is no longer used in the world because of all the Green Power.

But seriously, it takes economic imperialists to bring that oil to the surface and that is something we don't want, do we?
Imagine Haiti becoming the next Norway.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It would be Haiti's like that the oil would attempt to be exploited when oil is no longer used in the world because of all the Green Power.

But seriously, it takes economic imperialists to bring that oil to the surface and that is something we don't want, do we?
If oil wells were drilled and producing in Haiti, only a limited few would become filthy rich from the profits.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If oil wells were drilled and producing in Haiti, only a limited few would become filthy rich from the profits.
Precisely JD, those very same Economic Imperialists that risked their money to drill the wells would profit. That is how the world works.
To think it would somehow rescue Haiti is a fantasy.

Reactions: Russell

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
History?....The French left because they were run out of town....or they left because there was little money left to be had...........
They left because the British made it too hot for them to remain, and there is a tacit, unwritten agreement between them both and the Yanks not to go there as an occupying force ever again. Which is a tragedy because, trigger warning ahead, if Haiti had HARD colonialism as their fellow Francophone peeps in the region (Martinique, Guadeloupe and Cayenne), they would be nowhere near the mess they are now. And before everyone draws his/her knife at me, just ask anyone on one of those places if they would change places with the average Haitian Jean/Jeanne....

Reactions: USA DOC

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
They left because the British made it too hot for them to remain, and there is a tacit, unwritten agreement between them both and the Yanks not to go there as an occupying force ever again. Which is a tragedy because, trigger warning ahead, if Haiti had HARD colonialism as their fellow Francophone peeps in the region (Martinique, Guadeloupe and Cayenne), they would be nowhere near the mess they are now. And before everyone draws his/her knife at me, just ask anyone on one of those places if they would change places with the average Haitian Jean/Jeanne....
Occupying force on a more permanent arrangement*.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Not only it takes economic imperialists, but more crucially, it takes those very same people having boots on the ground to bash all the necessary heads that need to be bashed in order for law and order to finally reign again there, after 200 something years.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I am curious...are all the elites all over the world parasitic or is just the ones in Haiti
If it is just the ones in Haiti your mission (should u choose to accept it Mr. rfp) is to explain to me why you think they are the only ones who are parasitic.
Because continental and Caribbean elites at least try to put up a show about caring for the people they rule over and occasionally do something about the situation in their countries. Haitian elites don't even try, and treat the country more as an ancien regime tax farm with which they get the funds necessary to keep on partying hard in Paris, Miami or Montreal...

Reactions: rfp

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Needs to be mentioned that the french side of this Island when it was first a colony it was the richest in the Caribean... until the soil was overused... then of course it was sold to the slaves who had worked that land, who then formed the country of Haiti The french then collected payments from the new country of Haiti for many years...and from this the seeds of what there is today were sown..........

Reactions: Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Needs to be mentioned that the french side of this Island when it was first a colony it was the richest in the Caribean... until the soil was overused... then of course it was sold to the slaves who had worked that land, who then formed the country of Haiti The french then collected payments from the new country of Haiti for many years...and from this the seeds of what there is today were sown..........
For a time them (Saint-Domingue) and Jamaica were head by head as far competing for the sugar world market went, but eventually them Haitian/Dominguans left the Jamaicans behind due to them having the undivided attention of their metropolis as far as funding their plantations was concerned, while the Jamaicans had to compete with plethora of other economic interests in Britain for the necessary funds. There was also the maroon situation, which in Jamaica was far direr than it was in Saint-Domingue, despite all the romanticizing Haitians do about their own maroons. The reality was that for many XVIIIth century observers, either Jamaica or the Suriname were thought to be the place where the first hit against plantation colonialism would happen, but then the French Revolution came and changed the entire ballgame.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Saint-Domingue became rich and remained rich all the way to the Haitian Revolution which put up in smoke much of that wealth. Saint-Domingue wasn't just the richest colony in the Caribbean, it was the richest colony ever created in the history of humanity. Its yearly production amounted to one-third of all the French production in the world. It had to be the biggest creator of wealth on a per kilometer basis than France itself. Cap François (now Cap Haïtien) was considered the Paris of the West Indies because of its extreme beauty, the many fountains and gardens that filled its streets and squares, and the appearance of the buildings themselves. The harbor became the busiest with the most merchant ships of any city in the Americas and had the greatest shipping lanes with Europe, greater than cities like New York or Boston.

Then, the new country of Haiti being in charge mostly by illiterate uncultured people who had no idea what they were doing didn't help. The land was never sold to the Haitians, the reparations that Haiti's government agreed to pay France (Jean Pierre Boyer is the responsible one for agreeing to those terms) was for the lost value of the slaves. That agreement was agreed to and put in effect more than two decades after Haiti became an independent country.

Another thing I have noticed for many years is that some people want to put the blame for Haiti's deforestation on the French. I haven't read most of historical documents and books by visitors to Haiti. The few about Haiti that I have read is because they are attached to entire sections focused on the Dominican Republic. Since its there, might as well read them too after reding the parts on the DR. Others are historical books about Haiti or Saint-Domingue that I own I knew before hand that there are many sections where the DR is mentioned, but the books are in no way focused on the DR, nit even one chapter is devoted to the DR. When it comes to forest cover, I don't know what percentage of Haiti was still covered. What I do know is that many of these books (and the visits themselves often by the auther of the book) were published many decades after Haiti became independent but still in the 1800's. Plus, over 80% of the Haitian territory is mountainous. When the describe that the mountains are covered in verdure and that these are some of the most beautiful scenery they have seen, you bet it catches the attention. I thought the French are responsible for why deforestation became so intense in Haiti and the Haitians inherited this deforested land? How come they talk of the mountains everywhere in Haiti covered in tropical vegetation well after Haiti became a country?

Last edited:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
What was, is and should be are distanced far from one another.
There is no question that big oil and huge mining companies could generate a short term "boom economy" but what about the "bust" years , what happens to the people then. What happens when the Royalties stop... nothing thats what!
During the BOOM years the people get jobs, then when bust there are no social nets to catch them as in NORTH America and Norway.
If billions of dollars of AID did not even bring potable water to Haitians over a 10 year period what would we expect from an Natural Resources Boom.
I am old enough to say that i will never see this in my lifetime.
So very sad and exploitable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Saint-Domingue became rich and remained rich all the way to the Haitian Revolution which put up in smoke much of that wealth. Saint-Domingue wasn't just the richest colony in the Caribbean, it was the richest colony ever created in the history of humanity. Its yearly production amounted to one-third of all the French production in the world. It had to be the biggest creator of wealth on a per kilometer basis than France itself. Cap François (now Cap Haïtien) was considered the Paris of the West Indies because of its extreme beauty, the many fountains and gardens that filled its streets and squares, and the appearance of the buildings themselves. The harbor became the busiest with the most merchant ships of any city in the Americas and had the greatest shipping lanes with Europe, greater than cities like New York or Boston.

Then, the new country of Haiti being in charge mostly by illiterate uncultured people who had no idea what they were doing didn't help. The land was never sold to the Haitians, the reparations that Haiti's government agreed to pay France (Jean Pierre Boyer is the responsible one for agreeing to those terms) was for the lost value of the slaves. That agreement was agreed to and put in effect more than two decades after Haiti became an independent country.

Another thing I have noticed for many years is that some people want to put the blame for Haiti's deforestation on the French. I haven't read most of historical documents and books by visitors to Haiti. The few about Haiti that I have read is because they are attached to entire sections focused on the Dominican Republic. Since its there, might as well read them too after reding the parts on the DR. Others are historical books about Haiti or Saint-Domingue that I own I knew before hand that there are many sections where the DR is mentioned, but the books are in no way focused on the DR, nit even one chapter is devoted to the DR. When it comes to forest cover, I don't know what percentage of Haiti was still covered. What I do know is that many of these books (and the visits themselves often by the auther of the book) were published many decades after Haiti became independent but still in the 1800's. Plus, over 80% of the Haitian territory is mountainous. When the describe that the mountains are covered in verdure and that these are some of the most beautiful scenery they have seen, you bet it catches the attention. I thought the French are responsible for why deforestation became so intense in Haiti and the Haitians inherited this deforested land? How come they talk of the mountains everywhere in Haiti covered in tropical vegetation well after Haiti became a country?
Deforestation was a combination caused by primitive farming methods and burning the trees to make charcoal due to the American embargo on cooking gas.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

The trees... because the Haitian goverment paid the french government for years with tree lumber... and then of course because people in Haiti cook with charcoal...The glory days of Saint-Domigue are long gone and sadly and probably never to return.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The trees... because the Haitian goverment paid the french government for years with tree lumber... and then of course because people in Haiti cook with charcoal...The glory days of Saint-Domigue are long gone and sadly and probably never to return.....
The key words are 'never to return'...