Eden Norte getting slammed (And rightfully so)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Seems Eden Norte is getting called out now by Puerto Plata Digital for the all too frequent outages.
It has been everyday now for at least a week, and last night for several hours and again this morning.

With an 'up time' of maybe 70% I would say those are abysmal numbers for a utility that boasts 24/7.
Maybe more like 18/7 of late.

https://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=33356

Sep 22, 2009
Seems Eden Norte is getting called out now by Puerto Plata Digital for the all too frequent outages.
It has been everyday now for at least a week, and last night for several hours and again this morning.

With an 'up time' of maybe 70% I would say those are abysmal numbers for a utility that boasts 24/7.
Maybe more like 18/7 of late.

https://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=33356
The Ede- mafia is a corrupt system of contractors that build power infrastructure to break. Today is perfect so they have lots of outages which require double time or hazard pay.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The Ede- mafia is a corrupt system of contractors that build power infrastructure to break. Today is perfect so they have lots of outages which require double time or hazard pay.
I doubt there is such a thing as hazard pay in DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The electrical hassle is one of the most frustrating things about living in the DR.

I remember the first time it happened.
I looked at the wife, hey, the electricity is off.
Yes.
Is it going to come back on?
Yes.
When?
Maybe in an hour, maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.
I cannot sleep in this heat. I am going to a hotel.
Loud laughter from the whole family.
Now they are all gringoized and its, oh my god, I cannot stand this heat one more minute.
Now I laugh.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The question is how long is it going to be this time. On and off several times (at least six) for me since last night. Now been out for several hours. I'm expecting to be in the dark for the next day or two

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The question is how long is it going to be this time. On and off several times (at least six) for me since last night. Now been out for several hours. I'm expecting to be in the dark for the next day or two
Yes I am sure they will be blaming downed lines on fallen limbs, which they almost never trim.
But from here to Puerto Plata the main lines are all up or were mid afternoon and yet the power is out.
God forbid that Eden Norte crews would put down their rice and beans and go out in a wind storm.
I am sure they leave that work to contractors, yet they operate under the same rules..............manana

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Apparently power cables are down in or near Cabarete so Edenorte power likely to be off overnight.
Also trees observed down on highway between Sosua & Cabarete.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I still have no power in El Batey. Came on around 10pm last night and something blew a few hours later. Nothing since.

Sep 22, 2009
The power infrastructure in Cab/Sosua and many areas along the NC, is horrific. I have had a very pleasant experience with the more expensive privatized service out here. We suffered years and costs for backup in Cab

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A lot of power flickers and fluctuations in Sosua today. mostly under voltage issues tripping on the ups or the inverter.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I hate to praise Edenorte, but personally I was pleasantly surprised by the short time of outages here in my part of Cabarete, considering there were a lot of fallen trees and branches yesterday in the area. My friend and I were talking about how we had seen them trimming trees from the power lines recently. Surely it couldn't have been in anticipation of hurricane season, could it?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
coincidence Tree trimming is one of their favorite reasons for the weekly maintenance power cuts.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
And how about this? Yesterday afternoon we were coming down the road from Jamao to Sabaneta, when the road was blocked by a concrete power pole fallen right across the road a few minutes before our arrival. Surely it would be hours before a crane could clear it. The only way back to Cabarete would have been to turn around and go back through Moca and Santiago or Tenares. We were contemplating the other option of just going back to a colmado and waiting it out with a few beers, when we noticed that someone had found a big chain and they were going to try to pull the pole to one side with a truck. Then, before this probably dangerous move could be completed , an Edenorte crane appeared as if by magic and moved the pole, surely not more than fifteen minutes after it had fallen. It was probably a coincidence that it was passing, but nevertheless we gave big thanks to Edenorte!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
24x7 just means they are willing to listen to you complain if the power goes out. It's not really a service level agreement.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
And how about this? Yesterday afternoon we were coming down the road from Jamao to Sabaneta, when the road was blocked by a concrete power pole fallen right across the road a few minutes before our arrival. Surely it would be hours before a crane could clear it. The only way back to Cabarete would have been to turn around and go back through Moca and Santiago or Tenares. We were contemplating the other option of just going back to a colmado and waiting it out with a few beers, when we noticed that someone had found a big chain and they were going to try to pull the pole to one side with a truck. Then, before this probably dangerous move could be completed , an Edenorte crane appeared as if by magic and moved the pole, surely not more than fifteen minutes after it had fallen. It was probably a coincidence that it was passing, but nevertheless we gave big thanks to Edenorte!
That does sound unusually efficient.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
24x7 just means they are willing to listen to you complain if the power goes out. It's not really a service level agreement.
That is by far the best description of Edenorte I have ever seen.
I have a vast amount of experience with their incompetence and corruption.

Reactions: GringoRubio

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
coincidence Tree trimming is one of their favorite reasons for the weekly maintenance power cuts.
Our power was out for 24 hours from yesterday afternoon to this afternoon. While power was off, a tree trimming truck entered our development,
Two of our residents were begging, then screaming at them to help restore our power. They just said no, they were not contracted to do that.