EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ordinarily I would give you the benefit of the doubt, but being the bitter man your are I will continue to disagree. It is planned incompetency of course it is. These aren't random acts of human stupidity. It is a racket. It is the textbook definition of a racket.

That said, the Edes don't have any sort of priority for your circuit. They have no priority for places like Boca Chica or Los Alcarrizos. They dope up the circuits were folks pay big bucks for electric. I don't care what kind of strong language you use old chap.
The non-random acts of human stupidity continue today here on the north coast. You are correct that they will cut us bumpkins off in favor of other locales.

Power was off at just after 12:00 noon (Cabarete and confirmed in at least parts of Sosua). Edenorte says they know and are "working on it". I am not sure why they need to work on anything other than eventually turning it back on.

I expect power back at either 4 PM or 6 PM based upon their ordinary precious power cuts.

The one, actually two things, I do have bitterness about here in the DR are the government run water and power companies. I am not fond of one of the annual licensing procedures, but this is the wrong thread for that, and I have some annoyance they don't offer snowbird visas. So that is where the bitterness and/or annoyance is.

Edenorte has somewhat improved over time and the water company has steadily worsened. You can disagree all you want, but you would be wrong about their continued poor performance, yet correct about its deliberate nature. At least it seems like you get a part of that reality.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
All the more reason to install solar and batteries plus a windmill and if applicable a stream turbine generator. If I were building I'd also be incorporating passive solar design and making use of shade trees, etc...

Self-sufficiency, especially in places like the DR, is essential, no? That goes for all aspects...home security, food, water, power...
Keeping 💯 here brother.
The fact that you have to point this out to long term residents is amazing to me.
But alas, I have pointed out before being a man of action is harder than wishing.

For the record, I have an inverter and four batteries.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keeping 💯 here brother.
The fact that you have to point this out to long term residents is amazing to me.
But alas, I have pointed out before being a man of action is harder than wishing.

For the record, I have an inverter and four batteries.
I have an inverter and 8 batteries. I also have a generator. I am virtually NEVER without power from one of three sources.

As for solar, yep, the sun shines during the day, but the worst interruptions come at night. My property is not set up for enough solar panels to go off grid, but I could reduce my bills by getting approval for a bi-directional meter.

If only the sun shone at night, I would certainly have gone solar long ago,

What I don't like is Edenorte turning the power off. It is a really simple concept that has zero to do with how I back up my electricity, no matter how many times D'arcy or DR Solar, etc.. point out solar panels. Are those solar panels going to run AC in the bedroom on a hot night?

Power on CABT102, surprisingly went back on. All is good until the morons have another outage.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have an inverter and 8 batteries. I also have a generator. I am virtually NEVER without power from one of three sources.

As for solar, yep, the sun shines during the day, but the worst interruptions come at night. My property is not set up for enough solar panels to go off grid, but I could reduce my bills by getting approval for a bi-directional meter.

If only the sun shone at night, I would certainly have gone solar long ago,
I don't need the sun to shine at night.
There is technology for that if you are running off grid solar
They are called: Batteries
New flash!! This just in
The WIND blows at night too. 🤪
What I don't like is Edenorte turning the power off.
Why is that?
This is just my perspective...but if you are fully backed up and never without power it would seem to me that you are good to go.

I know it simply does not matter to me when the power from the electric company goes out.
I only have an inverter and four batteries.
You can rest comfortably at night knowing that yours is bigger than mine.
But my back up system serves me well in the very small apartment that I have in my barrio on EASTSIDE!!

I choose not focus on the negatives or let them get me down in life.
I am not angry.
I do not have a problem with the opinions of others.

It is a really simple concept that has zero to do with how I back up my electricity, no matter how many times D'arcy or DR Solar, etc.. point out solar panels.
This strikes me a being angry as the post from @D'Arcy (Apostropheman) was not directed at you nor any other person.
My post was not directed at you nor any other person.
Maybe it is just how you write?
I'm ok with it.
Be as angry as you like
Power on CABT102, surprisingly went back on. All is good until the morons have another outage.
Yep, "morons"
Never seen that sort of language used by an individual who was happy.
That is what you need.
More happy words in your vocabulary.

Have a great day brother!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can never have too much backup in DR. We have two inverters, one for the house (fans, outlets, etc) and one only for the refrigerator/freezer and a separate chest freezer. We also have a generator that we unfortunately have to use all too often. We have a well, cistern, two tinacos, and there have been times that we’d be waterless without the generator to run the water pump.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You can never have too much backup in DR. We have two inverters, one for the house (fans, outlets, etc) and one only for the refrigerator/freezer and a separate chest freezer. We also have a generator that we unfortunately have to use all too often. We have a well, cistern, two tinacos, and there have been times that we’d be waterless without the generator to run the water pump.
Very expensive solution but very nice to have.

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Once capital expenses are taken care of the cost of maintenance for an electric power back up system is measured much more in time than money. The exception to that is fuel for the generator and cost of replacing the batteries (every five to seven years for lead-acid)

But the expats among us here on DR1 who cannot not afford such solutions may sit in the dark for free. 🤪

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For those that seem to be a bit dense. I did mention the two utility companies are what really do pi$$ me off here. They frequently anger me. And yes there are morons that work at those companies. I know this from first hand experience over 20 years.

Just because I have the backup I need does not mean I like paying for repairing inverters, buying batteries, purchasing fuel for the generator, and having to put up with moronic responses from all levels of government employees that "work" for those companies. It is a really simple concept to grasp. Most of my neighbors are in agreement, but they don't post on DR1. So carry on thinking it is some outlier situation here in the DR. It is not.

For those that contend the solar panels charge the batteries, of course that is a potentially good idea. For now Edenorte or a generator charges my batteries.
Yes batteries, I have had battery inverter systems for my house since I bought it. It came with them. They have been repaired and replaced more times than I care to count. Thanks Edenorte.

For those that mention windmills? There is virtually no wind at my location at night unless we have a passing storm. Cabarete has significant wind
from about 2 PM until just before sunset. A wind turbine makes ZERO sense in my location.

Solar panels make sense to reduce my bill unless I greatly increase the number of batteries and go off grid from the 8 Trojan T-105's I already have. By the way, if your batteries are lasting 6 years it is because you are hardly using them. Lead acid batteries just sitting on float for several yeas will have greatly reduced capacity you would not even notice until you have an extended blackout.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I’ve lived in various areas/cities here, the last year in a new apartment in Puerto plata I’ve had hardly any power outages. No generator here. Maybe ten minutes a week I lose power. There seems to be prioritizing going on bc I’m near shopping hospitals busy commerce that need juice.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For those that seem to be a bit dense. I did mention the two utility companies are what really do pi$$ me off here. They frequently anger me. And yes there are morons that work at those companies. I know this from first hand experience over 20 years.

Just because I have the backup I need does not mean I like paying for repairing inverters, buying batteries, purchasing fuel for the generator, and having to put up with moronic responses from all levels of government employees that "work" for those companies. It is a really simple concept to grasp. Most of my neighbors are in agreement, but they don't post on DR1. So carry on thinking it is some outlier situation here in the DR. It is not.

For those that contend the solar panels charge the batteries, of course that is a potentially good idea. For now Edenorte or a generator charges my batteries.
Yes batteries, I have had battery inverter systems for my house since I bought it. It came with them. They have been repaired and replaced more times than I care to count. Thanks Edenorte.

For those that mention windmills? There is virtually no wind at my location at night unless we have a passing storm. Cabarete has significant wind
from about 2 PM until just before sunset. A wind turbine makes ZERO sense in my location.

Solar panels make sense to reduce my bill unless I greatly increase the number of batteries and go off grid from the 8 Trojan T-105's I already have. By the way, if your batteries are lasting 6 years it is because you are hardly using them. Lead acid batteries just sitting on float for several yeas will have greatly reduced capacity you would not even notice until you have an extended blackout.
Yeah, I forgot about the windmill (marine 400 something or another) that we bought and shipped down. You need a LOT of wind. We have a strong breeze off the Caribbean, and we had high hopes. It was mounted on a tall pole on the roof of one of our detached buildings, and it was quite the talk of the campo. They called it “El avioncito de Don AE”🤣. I forgot to mention it because it’s been in the garage for probably 5 years. Wind not strong enough. Anyone want to buy it??

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yeah, I forgot about the windmill (marine 400 something or another) that we bought and shipped down. You need a LOT of wind. We have a strong breeze off the Caribbean, and we had high hopes. It was mounted on a tall pole on the roof of one of our detached buildings, and it was quite the talk of the campo. They called it “El avioncito de Don AE”🤣. I forgot to mention it because it’s been in the garage for probably 5 years. Wind not strong enough. Anyone want to buy it??
I was hoping for a loan

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Maybe you could set up a fan next to it to spin the windmill. Talk about endless energy!!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe you could set up a fan next to it to spin the windmill. Talk about endless energy!!
There was some guy the other day on Facebook that said all that was needed in an EV car was an alternator to keep the battery charged.
By the way if you are considering an EV count on about 45-55% of the manufacturer's advertised range for real life range

Reactions: La Profe_1

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
This thread is not about electrical power back up systems but please indulge me while I correct information being given by those that prefer to flap their gums rather than actually inform us.

Here is what I am not doing:
1. Recommending to anyone that solar and wind power are the best electrical power back up system options for their particular situation.

Let's start with wind:
Savvy installers typically mount their wind turbines on towers 24 to 37 meters high. Sometimes as high as 55 meters. At those heights, the winds are substantially stronger than they are near the ground.
If the wind turbine is not mounted right from the beginning the performance will be affected.

Those that are just bit angry can spend time calling the people that run the system names all they want, I prefer to mount a wind turbine correctly, not joust at the electrical companies that fail to do what their core business requires from them: that is generate and distribute electricity consistently.

Batteries
If you discharge a sealed AGM battery to 50% capacity you will get on average 500 charging cycles.
Now, I'm not very smart according to many posters here on DR1 (I will not name names to protect the guilty).
Let's do the math...
5 years will give you 100 cycles a year
12 months in a year will give you 8 cycles a month
That gives you two outages a week where you can discharge your batteries down to 50% capacity without degradation.
The key is fully charging a lead acid battery again after a discharge cycle.
Please, I am not an engineer. And I am not giving advice.

It is now an exercise left for the reader to tell me what "you are hardly using them" means. It should be noted that @bob saunders made a post that said his batteries lasted for 7 years.

Now, I have my electrical engineering friend come over each year and he puts that "ting a ma jig" on the battery terminals and it gives a read out of some type and he tells me the health of each one of my batteries. Actually that how found out I needed to replace my last set. You see when I am not smart enough to do something, I find someone smarter than me and pay them to do it. 🤪

How does that expression go?
Those who THINK they know it all, really do irritate the ones of us who actually do.🤣

Should any of us have to know any of this stuff? NO‼️
In fact, other than the basic laws of electricity I didn't know any of it before I moved to the 🇩🇴.
@D'Arcy (Apostropheman) mentioned something about needing to be a rugged individual if you live here in the 🇩🇴
I have found this to be true.
Doing things on my own as a man of action has proven much more useful to me than spending my time wishing things were different.

I use a battery back up system to provide power to my buildings that are on grid (in a grid down situation). And I use batteries to provide power to my buildings that are off grid (period). I am familiar with solar and wind energy generating power systems. And I do not suggest they are the answer for everyone.

But to deny that they are option that might work for some people is make an attempt to nullify my personal experience. Now I understand that is desirable outcome for some. Unfortunately for them they cannot do it. So, I will continue to contribute the options and experience that I have accumulated over the years of living in 🇩🇴 to the content of DR1.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This thread is not about electrical power back up systems but please indulge me while I correct information being given by those that prefer to flap their gums rather than actually inform us.

Here is what I am not doing:
1. Recommending to anyone that solar and wind power are the best electrical power back up system options for their particular situation.

Let's start with wind:
Savvy installers typically mount their wind turbines on towers 24 to 37 meters high. Sometimes as high as 55 meters. At those heights, the winds are substantially stronger than they are near the ground.
If the wind turbine is not mounted right from the beginning the performance will be affected.

It is good you are not recommending the above at all because it would be useless during most of the day when there is NO wind at all even at 38 meters in Cabarete. So, it is good you don't recommend it.
Those that are just bit angry can spend time calling the people that run the system names all they want, I prefer to mount a wind turbine correctly, not joust at the electrical companies that fail to do what their core business requires from them: that is generate and distribute electricity consistently.
Edenorte does continue to suck, Perhaps you realize this point, but I suspect you probably still do not.
Batteries
If you discharge a sealed AGM battery to 50% capacity you will get on average 500 charging cycles.
Now, I'm not very smart according to many posters here on DR1 (I will not name names to protect the guilty).
Let's do the math...
5 years will give you 100 cycles a year
12 months in a year will give you 8 cycles a month
That gives you two outages a week where you can discharge your batteries down to 50% capacity without degradation.
The key is fully charging a lead acid battery again after a discharge cycle.
Please, I am not an engineer. And I am not giving advice.

I will never purchase AGM batteries, but do use Trojan T105 wet cell batteries. They provide a better cost trade off. Keep in mind I have had battery inverter systems since I moved to the DR. I just don't like having to maintain them because of the incompetence of the power company.

A/C does not work from the battery back up. The AC is used at night in my house. Once again, no wind at night and my batteries are not used for AC. So it can be a problem when power is off at night and only battery backup is used for ceiling fans until power is eventually restored.
It is now an exercise left for the reader to tell me what "you are hardly using them" means. It should be noted that @bob saunders made a post that said his batteries lasted for 7 years.

If the batteries are hardly used by someone, they will "last" as in not go into thermal runaway and need to be disposed of for quite a few years, but the capacity will still diminish over time because the warm temperatures in the DR will degrade the batteries. Trojan T105 batteries are the best I have found for the climate here.
Now, I have my electrical engineering friend come over each year and he puts that "ting a ma jig" on the battery terminals and it gives a read out of some type and he tells me the health of each one of my batteries. Actually that how found out I needed to replace my last set. You see when I am not smart enough to do something, I find someone smarter than me and pay them to do it. 🤪
He should checking the specific gravity of each battery cell to get the beast idea of the battery health.
How does that expression go?
Those who THINK they know it all, really do irritate the ones of us who actually do.🤣
I am a retired electronics design engineer with a Masters Degree in electonic design. I have spoken the technical support people at TRACE (before they were purchased, Trojan Battery and Interstate Battery. I have studied their manuals and understand the electronics, chemistry and physics of battery inverter systems. Most of my posts right here on DR1 explaining these thing (hundreds of them) were exactly deleted some years back.
Should any of us have to know any of this stuff? NO‼️
In fact, other than the basic laws of electricity I didn't know any of it before I moved to the 🇩🇴.
@D'Arcy (Apostropheman) mentioned something about needing to be a rugged individual if you live here in the 🇩🇴
I have found this to be true.
Doing things on my own as a man of action has proven much more useful to me than spending my time wishing things were different.

I use a battery back up system to provide power to my buildings that are on grid (in a grid down situation). And I use batteries to provide power to my buildings that are off grid (period). I am familiar with solar and wind energy generating power systems. And I do not suggest they are the answer for everyone.

But to deny that they are option that might work for some people is make an attempt to nullify my personal experience. Now I understand that is desirable outcome for some. Unfortunately for them they cannot do it. So, I will continue to contribute the options and experience that I have accumulated over the years of living in 🇩🇴 to the content of DR1.
No wind or solar power for you? Of course solar is an option for some people and wind for far fewer in the DR.

Perhaps some day I will be "rugged" enough to not be upset at having to maintain battery/inverter systems and a generator to make up for the incompetency and corruption at Edenorte, but I doubt it. Those are the options I use now. Wind power would be a completely wasted effort in my area, but solar could help reduce my bills and perhaps provide power during daytime outages.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What really frosts my flakes is for months Corraplata did not provide water yet I paid the 616 pesos flat fee.
Then the water comes back after 5 weeks and suddenly my consumption is way up - even though for the majority of the month they delivered no water.
Honestly I think they are as incompetent as EdeNorte

At least EdeNorte has never been completely down for 10 weeks straight.

Seems a flat fee should be waived when no water is pumped

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
It is good you are not recommending the above at all because it would be useless during most of the day when there is NO wind at all even at 38 meters in Cabarete. So, it is good you don't recommend it.

Edenorte does continue to suck, Perhaps you realize this point, but I suspect you probably still do not.

I will never purchase AGM batteries, but do use Trojan T105 wet cell batteries. They provide a better cost trade off. Keep in mind I have had battery inverter systems since I moved to the DR. I just don't like having to maintain them because of the incompetence of the power company.

A/C does not work from the battery back up. The AC is used at night in my house. Once again, no wind at night and my batteries are not used for AC. So it can be a problem when power is off at night and only battery backup is used for ceiling fans until power is eventually restored.

If the batteries are hardly used by someone, they will "last" as in not go into thermal runaway and need to be disposed of for quite a few years, but the capacity will still diminish over time because the warm temperatures in the DR will degrade the batteries. Trojan T105 batteries are the best I have found for the climate here.

He should checking the specific gravity of each battery cell to get the beast idea of the battery health.

I am a retired electronics design engineer with a Masters Degree in electonic design. I have spoken the technical support people at TRACE (before they were purchased, Trojan Battery and Interstate Battery. I have studied their manuals and understand the electronics, chemistry and physics of battery inverter systems. Most of my posts right here on DR1 explaining these thing (hundreds of them) were exactly deleted some years back.

No wind or solar power for you? Of course solar is an option for some people and wind for far fewer in the DR.

Perhaps some day I will be "rugged" enough to not be upset at having to maintain battery/inverter systems and a generator to make up for the incompetency and corruption at Edenorte, but I doubt it. Those are the options I use now. Wind power would be a completely wasted effort in my area, but solar could help reduce my bills and perhaps provide power during daytime outages.
I'm not sure what's more amusing; that someone's posts were deleted, the unsaid implication that it was on purpose/a conspiracy, that years later they're STILL complaining about it or reminding us about them, or that regardless of who a thread or post might be directed at, if at anyone some here have to try and make it all about them. The's not all about you Mickey ;) LOL :p

Buying an inverter and batteries is the norm for all that can afford them, ever with a generator as an option. Solar power is an excellent solution for virtually anyone with the means to purchase and maintain the hardware. Wind and river/stream/water power less so but when they are the right fit, they work extremely well and are excellent options. Buying a generator, especially a larger one, is an excellent backup but most people will not bother, although once you have one.....you'll probably not want to give it up ;)

That they're not a 100% fit for everyone is a given and filling threads with personal exceptions is not helpful.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

I respect your opinion
And I have shared mine.
Exposure to the ideas of others is how I learn.
Thank you for sharing.
Have a great day my DR1 brother ‼️

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The electric company that provides my electricity is Edeeste.
They have never provided electrical power to the places where I need it consistently.
I did not like it.
So I took action.
After 6 months of sitting in the dark after moving to the Dominican Republic I learned about inverter systems and batteries.
I purchased a power back up system.
I got burned on the entire purchase.
The seller had repurposed the components inside of my inverter and sold me used batteries.
Lost all my money.
Bought a new inverter and batteries.
I have replaced my original inverter since then with an upgrade and purchased a new set of batteries.
I am happy now.
My lights stay on.
I do not feel the need to rage against the electrical production machine here in the 🇩🇴

Although others may do so all they like. 🤪

EASTSIDE!!

Just for the record, I cannot use wind power on EASTSIDE!!
But it works just fine at my casa de campo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What really frosts my flakes is for months Corraplata did not provide water yet I paid the 616 pesos flat fee.
Then the water comes back after 5 weeks and suddenly my consumption is way up - even though for the majority of the month they delivered no water.
Honestly I think they are as incompetent as EdeNorte

At least EdeNorte has never been completely down for 10 weeks straight.

Seems a flat fee should be waived when no water is pumped
You might be sounding angry, be careful or someone will point that out. LOL

Yes CORRAPPLATA is even worse now than EDENADA. We do get about 5lbs of pressure every other day, I have a work around for that, but only when Edenorte provides power. So, back to that power situation that won't be solved by solar panels or batteries again, let alone tilting at windmills--My pumps run on street power.