EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My local area had 3 unplanned outages in the past 2 days. Sarita was quick to respond in all 3 cases, and by the third time, they may have actually fixed the real problem instead of just replacing the fuse that kept blowing in the rain.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sarita is that the local contractor that does work for Edenorte in your area? The fuses on the poles seem to be an ongoing problem where I live too. We had one catch fire not that long ago. Big problems when our local contractor company tried to fix that with a modified fuse that wouldn't fit properly. Sent a major spike down the lines that fried appliances and some of the buried house wires themselves. Fuses and transformers seem to be a persistent weak link in the system that do not get enough preventative maintenance attention.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sarita is that the local contractor that does work for Edenorte in your area? The fuses on the poles seem to be an ongoing problem where I live too. We had one catch fire not that long ago. Big problems when our local contractor company tried to fix that with a modified fuse that wouldn't fit properly. Sent a major spike down the lines that fried appliances and some of the buried house wires themselves. Fuses and transformers seem to be a persistent weak link in the system that do not get enough preventative maintenance attention.
Recently Sarita as been the main contractor used by Edenorte when a report is made with Edenorte. Over a year ago, when we were upgraded to 24/7 power, Sarita did the installation of the poles, wiring, transformers and lights. On what they did, they did well. On my street, they failed to put lights because they were told not to install any pole mounted transformers that could have fed power to the lights. We still have ancient ground mounted transformers with too many houses hooked to them. I have tried to have Edenorte complete the jobs of new transformers and lights, but the morons stonewall any response. At least power is now on 95% of the time instead of 10 hours a day like when I arrived in the DR. That is great great progress, but as usual it is that last 5% that simply cannot be reached.

If the fuses blow a lot, it is either from shorts in cracking high voltage lines during rainstorms , undersized fuses, corrosion from salt air, inadequate capacity in the lines or a combination thereof. We have had them all.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We have discovered that there is no company on the north coast that can properly refurbish an electrical transformer. The transformer must be removed and sent to Santo Domingo to have this done. No transformer for a couple of weeks for service means no power for a couple of weeks of course. Unfortunately the three transformers that service my neighborhood are the responsibility of the residents to look after and that is a logistical mess with no one wanting to pay for maintenance. What a system!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have discovered that there is no company on the north coast that can properly refurbish an electrical transformer. The transformer must be removed and sent to Santo Domingo to have this done. No transformer for a couple of weeks for service means no power for a couple of weeks of course. Unfortunately the three transformers that service my neighborhood are the responsibility of the residents to look after and that is a logistical mess with no one wanting to pay for maintenance. What a system!
Any transformer and wiring that is outside the perimeter of private property is the responsibility of Edenorte to maintain unless you happen to live in Casa Linda perhaps where they seem to have a "unique" approach. I remember when the morons at Edenorte tried to deny this little legal issue, but that is what happens when you have the government running power distribution. The lies and incompetence were staggering. They have improved only recently.

Where I live, anything up to my power meters is up to Edenorte to maintain, repair or replace. The first power outage in the past two days meant a new transformer was needed when one shorted out. I understand Sarita replaced the transformer within one day.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's the problem I think. Our transformers are in a building on private property at the entrance to the community. There used to be a community association that took care of the electricity equipment that has long since disbanded due to the lack of payment of fees by the residents. Now we have three aging transformers that see heavy use as there are lots of houses connected to them. We did find one or two companies that can change the oil in the transformers but none that can actually take them apart and refurbish the innards of these essential components. Some day one or more will fail and then we will be screwed for a long time. I foresee a run on rental whole home generators and jacked up prices for them and their installation. Not a very appealing short term solution but getting people to pay for anything around here is hard. I just shake my head and the short sightedness of the property owners near me especially those that live here full time and are dependent on this equipment working properly.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My power went out in my little corner of Sosua at 7:45 this morning for about an hour . Others in my vicinity but in a different community reported losing power at 02:00 and it was still out when my service went off. Anyone else experience a brief or extended outage this morning?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The La Mulata sector of Sosua lost 1 phase of power @ 07:30 this morning. I suspect this is a localized problem limited to just one area. There was a loud explosion on the main road so a trunk line circuit breaker or transformer blew.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Power was out to a large part of Sosua for about 30 minutes plus/minus but has since been restored.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
One phase dropped out at 02:20 this morning in my Neighborhood of Sosua. So no 220V for pumps and the like. Everything else is running off the inverter. Still out as of this post. Anyone else experiencing electricity delivery problems this morning?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Some communities west of Puerto Plata in the area of Luperon and Imbert should already be without power. The two substations have been taken offline for maintenance between 08:00 - 13:00 as per edenorte. I checked the site last night and there was no mention of the work to be done today.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of Edenorte work scheduled for the next week. Feb 6 - 12. Nothing listed to be done in or around Puerto Plata province. Today Saturday Feb 6 from 8 - 1 a major transmission line from Santiago to Playa Dorado will be down for work. Edenorte does not indicate that this work will cut power outside of Santiago.

Sunday Feb 7 10:00-15:00 pole maintenance will be conducted in and around Constanza resulting in a power outage. The CONS101 and CONS401 circuits will be out of service.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power off at 8 AM Saturday February 20, 2021 for circuit CABT102

Edenorte says a crew is working and they needed to cut power.
No idea when it will be back on again.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Power off at 8 AM Saturday February 20, 2021 for circuit CABT102

Edenorte says a crew is working and they needed to cut power.
No idea when it will be back on again.
And where is that circuit ? Do you know

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, it is my circuit in Cabarete, but it could be all of Cabarete and much more that are without power,
I just know my circuit is down and a crew is working somewhere.
Still up in Sosua. I saw on Dominican Today that EdeNorte has the best 'up-time" of all the four regions. So as Bill Murry would say "We will receive enlightenment - so we go that going for us".

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good to know the issue today is localized. Hopefully an easy fix. It might have to do with recent actions in La Cienaga since they share the same circuit that is currently off.

Edenorte has not been a major problem over the past year. Almost infinitely better than when I arrived in the DR.