EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow. You must have changed something cause that's not what you have spouted for 20 years. Congrats.

Everyone has choices. Some less then others, and many have more. Everyone still has choices.

20 years of phone calls and being were I was 20 years ago somehow didn't work for me....19 years ago. Lol.
18 years ago when I moved here full time, I realized I needed a generator. There was always a battery and inverter system.

I have never been without power for any length of time. I was without Edenorte power VERY often back then. That lack of service is what I always complained about. What changed? Edenorte finally provides power almost 24/7 after twice trying to extort over $100,000 US from our development to provide 24/7 power. My set up remained virtually the same through all this time, I just run the generator a whole lot less.

A person in an apartment or renting a home may have the choice to move, but not install a Solar system.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
EdeNorte must be taking 4 days to do work a real power company could do in 2 hours.
Please deliver us from a bad hurricane this year

Reactions: windeguy

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I can somewhat agree with DR Solar, if you think it's an issue and you are REALLY dependable on electricity, then get some kind of set-up. It's not THAT expensive. Since the day I came here 10 years ago, I've always had an inverter with 2 batteries. Because EDENORTE actually started providing "24/7" electricity just when I had moved here, I didn't see the reason to have more batteries. So I've stuck with 1 inverter (around 10-20k pesos, sometimes even cheaper) and two batteries (around 15k right now), and there you have enough power to at least go without power and have a computer and lights on for more than half a day, which is the normal amount Edenorte outages lasts. So I don't really understand how moaning about it on an expat forum helps, instead of actually doing something about it.

Reactions: DR Solar

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can somewhat agree with DR Solar, if you think it's an issue and you are REALLY dependable on electricity, then get some kind of set-up. It's not THAT expensive. Since the day I came here 10 years ago, I've always had an inverter with 2 batteries. Because EDENORTE actually started providing "24/7" electricity just when I had moved here, I didn't see the reason to have more batteries. So I've stuck with 1 inverter (around 10-20k pesos, sometimes even cheaper) and two batteries (around 15k right now), and there you have enough power to at least go without power and have a computer and lights on for more than half a day, which is the normal amount Edenorte outages lasts. So I don't really understand how moaning about it on an expat forum helps, instead of actually doing something about it.
DR Solar pushes solar power like an evangelical pushes religion. Yes, I complained for over 15 years about the lack of 24/7 power from Edenorte. Yet DR Solar thought I "never did anything about it" because I didn't get solar panels. I went to the offices in Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata to try and get 24/7 power and twice they tried to extort over $100,000 US from my development to "upgrade our telephone poles" since what we had would not work if the power was left on all the time. I nearly pimped slapped the moron that told me that. The power was on so little that I had to change batteries every years due to constant deep discharges. Another reason I complained. My last set of batteries were 4 to 5 years old because of improvements in the power over recent years.

I have ALWAYS had a battery-inverter system since my house came with them, and I quickly purchased a generator for the really bad times from Edenorte and their incompetence and fraud. Yet DR Solar would say I did "nothing".

Now that the power is off very little except for the occasional fuse blowing or maintenance outage, I have little need for adding solar panels in any number unless I want to push down my power bill. I simply charge my batteries off the grid and hope I don't need to use them. Maybe someday, but that is unlikely at the moment. Most of my neighbors abandoned their battery/inverter systems and have no back up any more.

Now back to the reports of any power outages. Still on going today in Sosua?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The rumor is that power will be off again today and maybe tomorrow. I couldn't find any confirmation on the edenorte site when I looked.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I read that they have resolved the issues at the Sosua substation, But it docent say whether or not power will be cut off

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
DR Solar pushes solar power like an evangelical pushes religion. Yes, I complained for over 15 years about the lack of 24/7 power from Edenorte. Yet DR Solar thought I "never did anything about it" because I didn't get solar panels. I went to the offices in Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata to try and get 24/7 power and twice they tried to extort over $100,000 US from my development to "upgrade our telephone poles" since what we had would not work if the power was left on all the time. I nearly pimped slapped the moron that told me that. The power was on so little that I had to change batteries every years due to constant deep discharges. Another reason I complained. My last set of batteries were 4 to 5 years old because of improvements in the power over recent years.

I have ALWAYS had a battery-inverter system since my house came with them, and I quickly purchased a generator for the really bad times from Edenorte and their incompetence and fraud. Yet DR Solar would say I did "nothing".

Now that the power is off very little except for the occasional fuse blowing or maintenance outage, I have little need for adding solar panels in any number unless I want to push down my power bill. I simply charge my batteries off the grid and hope I don't need to use them. Maybe someday, but that is unlikely at the moment. Most of my neighbors abandoned their battery/inverter systems and have no back up any more.

Now back to the reports of any power outages. Still on going today in Sosua?
I'm not at all attacking you or saying anything specific about you or your specific setup. Your disagreement with DR Solar is your deal that I have no interest in participating in. I just did a personal observation. I totally agree that it's very annoying that being 2021 it's still an unstable electrical power grid. But hey, look at Texas how they managed things a couple of months back. Be happy you don't have to pay 4000% than you should pay just because the electrical supplier isn't able to supply enough power to everyone. And still, we are all here in DR, so what can you really expect? Based on how things actually work down here, I find it amazing that the electrical grid is actually this stable. In a year we maybe have these kinds of issues a handful of times. So if this still bothers you (and I don't mean you Windeguy personally, as you have already fixed your situation) and you can't be without electricity for 1 day once every month or even more seldom than that, then get your own personal backup system. It's better than just complain about how bad everything is. Sadly more and more people just complain about how bad things are, instead of actually thinking of how many benefits they have. Yes, a lot of things really SUCKS down here, such as example the need to spend money to have 24/7 electricity. But in my own case, I can work 3 days a week from home and spend time with my family all week long and live like a king down here, instead of going back to my home country and work 5 days a week from some other location, only see my family in the weekend and still struggle to put food on the table. So if something is bothering you, try to fix it, if you can't learn to deal with it, instead of just moaning all the time. And once again, I'm not personally talking about ANYONE, just a piece of general advice.

Reactions: johne and DR Solar

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm not at all attacking you or saying anything specific about you or your specific setup. Your disagreement with DR Solar is your deal that I have no interest in participating in. I just did a personal observation. I totally agree that it's very annoying that being 2021 it's still an unstable electrical power grid. But hey, look at Texas how they managed things a couple of months back. Be happy you don't have to pay 4000% than you should pay just because the electrical supplier isn't able to supply enough power to everyone. And still, we are all here in DR, so what can you really expect? Based on how things actually work down here, I find it amazing that the electrical grid is actually this stable. In a year we maybe have these kinds of issues a handful of times. So if this still bothers you (and I don't mean you Windeguy personally, as you have already fixed your situation) and you can't be without electricity for 1 day once every month or even more seldom than that, then get your own personal backup system. It's better than just complain about how bad everything is. Sadly more and more people just complain about how bad things are, instead of actually thinking of how many benefits they have. Yes, a lot of things really SUCKS down here, such as example the need to spend money to have 24/7 electricity. But in my own case, I can work 3 days a week from home and spend time with my family all week long and live like a king down here, instead of going back to my home country and work 5 days a week from some other location, only see my family in the weekend and still struggle to put food on the table. So if something is bothering you, try to fix it, if you can't learn to deal with it, instead of just moaning all the time. And once again, I'm not personally talking about ANYONE, just a piece of general advice.
You have to work? Sorry to hear that. I have not done that since before I moved here in 2003.

Now lets get back to Edenorte's power outages. Which, admittedly have been less for me in recent years, which greatly discourages my desire to turn to "green" power.

I would suggest to DR Solar to start a thread providing a real world cost benefit analysis of installing a solar power system, with bottom line payback times, a failure/repair analysis with MTBF for batteries, charge controllers and panels, costs to get a bi-directional meter from the power company, etc.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You have to work? Sorry to hear that. I have not done that since before I moved here in 2003.

Now lets get back to Edenorte's power outages. Which, admittedly have been less for me in recent years, which greatly discourages my desire to turn to "green" power.

I would suggest to DR Solar to start a thread providing a real world cost benefit analysis of installing a solar power system, with bottom line payback times, a failure/repair analysis with MTBF for batteries, charge controllers and panels, costs to get a bi-directional meter from the power company, etc.

That would really be interesting. I hope he does it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Getting back to the purpose of this thread...

Lots of scheduled power outages for Sosua and the surrounding areas tomorrow Saturday June 19 2021. Some circuits are scheduled to go out in the morning, return, then go out again in the afternoon. If the screen capture below is difficult to read, the info can be found in the maintenance schedule posted on the edenorte site on the noticias page. I question the limited duration of some outages but we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Wow

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

With all due respect Windy...how does one put a "value" on quality of life style issues? Krike has been very clear in his posting about not only costs but what is more important to him in the big picture. I agree with him and believe in life being very short and why shoud one live with just a day without Luz if that inferfes with their life? There are alternatives to all these problems. EVERY problem that is part of DR living can be solved ...IF one desires. And yes, I understand this is not a big deal with you (the one day) but we are not all the same. That I know you would agree with. :)

Reactions: Kricke87

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect power to be off tomorrow from 9AM until 5 or 6 PM, instead of just 2 PM.

(Makes me just want to run out and get some solar panels while they keep fixing the same cheap Chinese junk over and over. )

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With all due respect Windy...how does one put a "value" on quality of life style issues? Krike has been very clear in his posting about not only costs but what is more important to him in the big picture. I agree with him and believe in life being very short and why shoud one live with just a day without Luz if that inferfes with their life? There are alternatives to all these problems. EVERY problem that is part of DR living can be solved ...IF one desires. And yes, I understand this is not a big deal with you (the one day) but we are not all the same. That I know you would agree with. :)
That becomes a philosophical discussion beyond the scope of this particular thread. Not ALL problems here can be solved, at least not in a reasonable fashion, so I don't agree with that. But let us have another thread for that discussion. I was making a joke about people here having to work, by the way.

For tomorrow, Edenorte will not provide power for me between 9 AM and 2 PM (more like 5 or 6 PM is likely) and that means my water pump will not function during this time. When I do have water, it is less than 10 lbs of pressure so it will fill my cistern but not reach 2nd floor apartments at all. Even if I dug a well, I don't currently have a generator or inverter system of sufficient capacity to power a pump to maintain water pressure during such power outages. Sure, I could by and install such inverters or generator but it would be anything but easy based upon how my house was built- I would consider that solution as unreasonable yet potentially possible. Installing solar panels would not alone relieve that problem at all. Tomorrow will be a situation of two inept government run utilities in parallel. We are fortunate the government does not control the air supply.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That becomes a philosophical discussion beyond the scope of this particular thread. Not ALL problems here can be solved, at least not in a reasonable fashion, so I don't agree with that. But let us have another thread for that discussion. I was making a joke about people here having to work, by the way.

For tomorrow, Edenorte will not provide power for me between 9 AM and 2 PM (more like 5 or 6 PM is likely) and that means my water pump will not function during this time. When I do have water, it is less than 10 lbs of pressure so it will fill my cistern but not reach 2nd floor apartments at all. Even if I dug a well, I don't currently have a generator or inverter system of sufficient capacity to power a pump to maintain water pressure during such power outages. Sure, I could by and install such inverters or generator but it would be anything but easy based upon how my house was built- I would consider that solution as unreasonable yet potentially possible. Installing solar panels would not alone relieve that problem at all. Tomorrow will be a situation of two inept government run utilities in parallel. We are fortunate the government does not control the air supply.
OK. In the literal translation of the word"anything is possible" I understand your point.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Please take the discussions that do not relate to upcoming power outages and the current power situation on the N. coast somewhere else. This thread is intended to be an easy way to learn of power outages and the current situation where you may reside based on the input of those also affected. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power off at 10:40 AM on CABT102 for the announced 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM power outage today.