EDENorte North Coast: Electricity Outages & Restoration Announcements

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed water is precious in most parts of the world.

We NoAmericans are spoiled.... the Great Lakes, etc.... the melting Arctic....lots of it.
The US southwestas to hoard water - and is losing the battle these days

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Water, arguably is the world's most precious resource.Electricity is pretty high up on the totem pole when it comes to necessity.not as vital as water, but pretty damn close.As some one who has family both in the DR and PR I can tell you from first hand knowledge the misery that an extended long term outage brings on.I promise you: the DR is not equipped neither logistically but more importantly, mentally.Whether you believe in climate change or not, the planet is yelling at us to prepare ourselves.Extended outages bring on nightmarish scenarios.Puerto Rico,Virgin Islands,and more recently Texas ( one week) can write you a lengthy novel on the subject. The DR I'm afraid will have a hold my beer scenario if, god forbid they were to have one.A country which has dog eat dog impulses when it comes to something as minor as(comparatively speaking) day to day traffic.It's scary to think of what a long term outage would bring about.

I full agree...

One thing that has never ceased to baffle me, being European, is the amount of water that goes to waste here... In my country, we have lot lot more water available (and it's clean, you can safely drink it, obviously) than here, but still water is treated much much with more respect back home...

It's not so much the end users that waste water, it's the distributors and their incompetency...

During the pandemic, I believe some of the CORAAs asked users to preserve water and then the news showed many mains throwing thousands of gallons of clean water right to the street and the corporation did not do anything, or they fixed it with delay... So they ask end users to save water (many end users don't even have water even though they pay for that...) but their job is just worth nothing...

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Agreed 100% for both CORRAAPPLATA and EDE's. Just add corruption to that incompetency.
Sad but true.In the years to come nations like the DR with their antiquated grids stand to benefit from aging solar installations.As solar farms and consumers who simply want to upgrade to more efficient arrays look to modernize, there is going to be a ton of used panels with substantial remaining lifespans making for a tremendous opportunity to ease the burden on their age-old generating stations.Pipedreams of course, but there will be a blueprint laid out by smaller savvy countries that can and will take full advantage.Just one solar panel on every rooftop feeding back to the grid? dang that would be sweet.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sad but true.In the years to come nations like the DR with their antiquated grids stand to benefit from aging solar installations.As solar farms and consumers who simply want to upgrade to more efficient arrays look to modernize, there is going to be a ton of used panels with substantial remaining lifespans making for a tremendous opportunity to ease the burden on their age-old generating stations.Pipedreams of course, but there will be a blueprint laid out by smaller savvy countries that can and will take full advantage.Just one solar panel on every rooftop feeding back to the grid? dang that would be sweet.
The power company currently, if I understand correctly, charges you to get a bi-directional meter. That needs to go away. It should be encouraged at no cost.
There is a thread that the current blackouts were caused by incompetent employees that were fired and a new crew is in charge.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The power company currently, if I understand correctly, charges you to get a bi-directional meter. That needs to go away. It should be encouraged at no cost.
There is a thread that the current blackouts were caused by incompetent employees that were fired and a new crew is in charge.
by incompetent employees you actually mean they were connected to the previous government. I read they were trained by the GE people and were qualified but wrong politically.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
by incompetent employees you actually mean they were connected to the previous government. I read they were trained by the GE people and were qualified but wrong politically.
Perhaps. But it also seems the power plant was shut down by them. I suppose that could have been political but not incompetence. Read the thread on it and see what you think.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Perhaps. But it also seems the power plant was shut down by them. I suppose that could have been political but not incompetence. Read the thread on it and see what you think.
I don't think that they "shut down" the power plants by choice. From what I read and could understand, it was more like, we shut them down because if we hadn't done so it would have led to even more problems. Just like with a car, if the engine light starts flashing, what should you do? Shut down the engine so you don't damage it.
So the issue is still that the previous administration had not done sufficient (if any) maintenance, and what happens then? Well eventually, you either HAVE to do urgent maintenance that can be VERY extensive, rather than a little all the time, or the thing that should have been maintained will just stop working.
So although I totally agree that this is very annoying with all of the power outages, it's not at all surprising and more a question of past actions (or lack of) that is causing this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think that they "shut down" the power plants by choice. From what I read and could understand, it was more like, we shut them down because if we hadn't done so it would have led to even more problems. Just like with a car, if the engine light starts flashing, what should you do? Shut down the engine so you don't damage it.
So the issue is still that the previous administration had not done sufficient (if any) maintenance, and what happens then? Well eventually, you either HAVE to do urgent maintenance that can be VERY extensive, rather than a little all the time, or the thing that should have been maintained will just stop working.
So although I totally agree that this is very annoying with all of the power outages, it's not at all surprising and more a question of past actions (or lack of) that is causing this.
One power plant was shut down due to incompetence of those running it (despite being properly trained by GE it was mentioned above). They were fired and replaced because they had to shut down the plant because of their mistakes. Lets us say that those guys were instead doing a great job and did not mess up. Would it make sense to have so many power plants off line at the very same time for scheduled maintenance and cause massive blackouts? Either way there is incompetence.

Which brings up another point. People hired for such jobs should be civil servants and not those hired because they were political patronage jobs or someone's second cousin. But that is a entire other story about the corruption inherent in having a power distribution company run by a government.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Power out in Perla Marina SOSU101 as of 12:50 today Wednesday 1st June. It has been om/off in days earlier but only for short periods of a few to 10 minutes.
Olly

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Power out in Perla Marina SOSU101 as of 12:50 today Wednesday 1st June. It has been om/off in days earlier but only for short periods of a few to 10 minutes.
Olly
Still out in Perla Marina as of 18:00 and just now out in Sosua at Villa Ann Marier !
Any one elso off ?

Olly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power off on CABT102 about 7:30 PM . Seems to be off along route 5 as well in Cabarete.

Was power off a lot this past week in Cabarete?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Power has been off in Sabaneta area (SABY101 and 102) since 12 noonish today and is still off now. Is anyone in Cabarete and/ or Sosua off too or any other surrounding areas like Gasper/ Jamao etc?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power has been out since about 1:25 PM today when a fuse blew out that feeds our subsection of CABT102 in Cabarete. The fuse was replaced at 4:50 PM, but power is still not back on. Anyone else on CABT102 without power as well now? Edenorte said there is still a problem further upstream that they are working on.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Anyone know the latest time frame to restore power on the North coast or what the reason was it was off most of the night?