EDTA - Inverter batteries.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
windeguy said:
From all I could read, this verision of EDTA should be 'very' soluble in water. I just took 1 teaspoon and I am having trouble getting that amount dissolved in 8 ounces of distilled water. With that situation, getting a tablespoon per cell into the batteries would be a real challenge. How much were you able to get dissolved in what volume of water? Thanks for any information you can report on that.

When I disolved mine, like Juanita I was able to disolve it in a rather small amount of water. Mine was the supplier in the US of course. I did use a little more water than her, I don't remember the amount offhand. I DID need to put it in a container with a top and shake it, having remembered stirring for a couple of minutes when I had done it for some other batteries. The stuff disolved slower than sugar or salt would have, but disolved in less water I think.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Does anyone have a supply of EDTA in the DR?

I would be happy to drive over and pay a fair price for 2 or 3 kilos.. My batteries are getting pretty beat up after the latest cyclone.

Stephen

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sjh said:
I would be happy to drive over and pay a fair price for 2 or 3 kilos.. My batteries are getting pretty beat up after the latest cyclone.

Stephen

We're in the same position - if anyone has locally, we're also interested in buying (and can take some down to sjh in Nagua). Alternatively sjh, maybe we could split a shipment and buy in the US?

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Also very interested in the 'good' stuff!
More North Coasters!! Peter & Alex, Paul & Kim, Paul Thate - that's 3 more wanting to get a share of the EDTA powder.
E-mail or PM if anyone decides to bring in enough to share!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wrong stuff..

Chris said:
OK, if this is the right stuff, I can order a few bottles tomorrow...
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/battery_equaliser/battery_eq_product.htm
So, tell me, who is prepared to share shipping and import charges and how big a bottle do you want?

I know that there was a post saying "Camachosoft.... And the have "Liquid EDTA" too...""", but I have seen no literature on their website saying that it is EDTA, furthermore, if you import it in liquid form, just imagine the additional transport costs.
We bought ours from http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/ and we were in touch with Melody@bostick-sullivan.com
According to some other literature I have, it is also available from
Trailhead Supply
325 E. 1165 N.
Orem UT 84057
801 225 3931
E-mail trailheadsupply@webtv.net
As we now have definite proof that the photographic quality EDTA sold by Bostick & Sullivan works wonders, we have no intention of using other suppliers.
Even if we can save 2 or 3 bucks a pound, it doesn't seem worth taking the risk, and the returns are so great. We have now restored 38 batteries for less than the cost of buying 3 new batteries and we still have a wee bit left.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks Rocky - Now at least I know what the right stuff is....

Rocky said:
I know that there was a post saying "Camachosoft.... And the have "Liquid EDTA" too...""", but I have seen no literature on their website saying that it is EDTA, furthermore, if you import it in liquid form, just imagine the additional transport costs.
We bought ours from http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/ and we were in touch with Melody@bostick-sullivan.com
According to some other literature I have, it is also available from
Trailhead Supply
325 E. 1165 N.
Orem UT 84057
801 225 3931
E-mail trailheadsupply@webtv.net
As we now have definite proof that the photographic quality EDTA sold by Bostick & Sullivan works wonders, we have no intention of using other suppliers.
Even if we can save 2 or 3 bucks a pound, it doesn't seem worth taking the risk, and the returns are so great. We have now restored 38 batteries for less than the cost of buying 3 new batteries and we still have a wee bit left.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A couple of hints.

Chris said:
Thanks Rocky - Now at least I know what the right stuff is....
If you are planning to use EDTA, it may be a good idea to not be adding any distilled water into your batteries, unless the level is getting near the top of the plates, thus allowing you to add in the amount you want without going through the whole operation of removing acid to make room for the EDTA solution.
If you do have to remove acid,
1) be careful,
2) get a hypo from the farmacy,
3) store the acid for returning it later,
4) aim a fan at you and the batteries, so as to disperse any fumes,
5) be careful to not be connecting or disconnecting batteries while there are fumes present.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
EDTA Santo Domingo

For those of you interested, now about a month of so later, my batteries are working like never before after using the EDTA I bought here in Santo Domingo. Same with my neighbor?s batteries that before only lasted him 2 hours now hold on for 6 hours straight! ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Where can you buy battery acid? I am planning to replace and clean all acid from my batteries and refill them with new one. Where can you buy the acid and how much you have to fill in with referance to water and acid content.
Thnaks in advance.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not a good idea

AZB said:
Where can you buy battery acid? I am planning to replace and clean all acid from my batteries and refill them with new one. Where can you buy the acid and how much you have to fill in with referance to water and acid content.
Thnaks in advance.
AZB
Wrong plan, AZB. I don't know all the scientific reasons, but it's something like this. The acid in your batteries has what is needed to put back what it takes in the charge/discharge cycles, and if you replace it with new acid, you will deplete your batteries.
Stick with what you have and add distilled water when needed.
The only time you add acid to a battery is when they are brand new, if they don't already have acid in them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
juanita said:
For those of you interested, now about a month of so later, my batteries are working like never before after using the EDTA I bought here in Santo Domingo. Same with my neighbor?s batteries that before only lasted him 2 hours now hold on for 6 hours straight! ;)
I'm still interested and a bit mystified.
I had a friend check out the product and he tells me that it is NOT even EDTA.
I don't have a full report on it, and he did mention that he might post something on the matter later on today.
It sure would suit me to get it locally and at a fraction of the price that we are paying for the imported product, and until I find out what this local chemical is and am sure that there is nothing else in there that could eventually damage my batteries, I don't want to chance it.
If you could get the product to me, I would be glad to test it on some old garbage batteries and publish the results.
Not that I am expecting you to go out of your way, but if it happened to be convenient, I would gladly do my part.
Regards, Marco.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Rocky said:
I'm still interested and a bit mystified.
I had a friend check out the product and he tells me that it is NOT even EDTA.
I don't have a full report on it, and he did mention that he might post something on the matter later on today.
It sure would suit me to get it locally and at a fraction of the price that we are paying for the imported product, and until I find out what this local chemical is and am sure that there is nothing else in there that could eventually damage my batteries, I don't want to chance it.
If you could get the product to me, I would be glad to test it on some old garbage batteries and publish the results.
Not that I am expecting you to go out of your way, but if it happened to be convenient, I would gladly do my part.
Regards, Marco.

Marco, I have a full bag at home doing nothing but sitting there, where are you, so to send you some? I'm in Santo Domingo! ;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua

juanita said:
Marco, I have a full bag at home doing nothing but sitting there, where are you, so to send you some? I'm in Santo Domingo! ;)
I'm a bit far away, but if anybody is coming up this way and is willing to bring it up here, it sure would be beneficial for those who want to know.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Rocky said:
I'm a bit far away, but if anybody is coming up this way and is willing to bring it up here, it sure would be beneficial for those who want to know.

If you know of anyone going that way let me know and I'll check on my side! ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
well if juanita's source is not the real thing then I am screwed. I have used that powder in 10 batteries. Until now, I am fully satisfied with the product. I used one table spoon on my 2 yrs plus old batteries at home. I have also raised the charge a bit on my inverter. Now I am charging a bit faster. With the same number of blackout hours, I am never out of charge anymore. I always have lights. before i was getting only 20 mins to an hours out of my batteries, now I am always with lights, even with heavy loads. This dominican powder is working for me.
Good luck.
AZB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
AZB said:
well if juanita's source is not the real thing then I am screwed. I have used that powder in 10 batteries. Until now, I am fully satisfied with the product. I used one table spoon on my 2 yrs plus old batteries at home. I have also raised the charge a bit on my inverter. Now I am charging a bit faster. With the same number of blackout hours, I am never out of charge anymore. I always have lights. before i was getting only 20 mins to an hours out of my batteries, now I am always with lights, even with heavy loads. This dominican powder is working for me.
Good luck.
AZB
First, I hope you're not screwed.
I would be starting to believe that it works, had you not mentioned that you raised the charger setting on your inverter.
This could make all the difference in the world as to how long you can go during blackouts.
I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, I just want some clinical observations and would like to see what happens in the long term.
As I am no scientist, all I can do is rely on the info I have available to me, and as there is a clear warning to use nothing else but photographic quality EDTA, I am a bit concerned about this local product.
A fellow came by here a few weeks ago, who had some of the local stuff and he had a lot of trouble getting it to disolve in a small quantity of water, so I sold him a bit of mine, to get the job done.
As he wasn't impressed by what he had and was satisified with the imported product, I am still leary of using it.
There is only one solution, I need to get a bit to test it.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Rocky said:
First, I hope you're not screwed.
I would be starting to believe that it works, had you not mentioned that you raised the charger setting on your inverter.
This could make all the difference in the world as to how long you can go during blackouts.
I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, I just want some clinical observations and would like to see what happens in the long term.
As I am no scientist, all I can do is rely on the info I have available to me, and as there is a clear warning to use nothing else but photographic quality EDTA, I am a bit concerned about this local product.
A fellow came by here a few weeks ago, who had some of the local stuff and he had a lot of trouble getting it to disolve in a small quantity of water, so I sold him a bit of mine, to get the job done.
As he wasn't impressed by what he had and was satisified with the imported product, I am still leary of using it.
There is only one solution, I need to get a bit to test it.

Rocky,

PM me your info and I will see if I can send you some by Metro bus at the end of this week! Now what will I tell the Metro dudes this white stuff is??? mmmm... :tired: