Educators, I Need Your Help.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I plan on helping/tutoring a boy entering 6th grade in just a couple of weeks. It is, I suppose, a not very good public school that is located in one of the poorest barrios of the capital.
My sessions with him will be on weekends only and of course pertain to the work he did the previous week. Hopefully I will expand on what he was taught.

Can anyone post the core curriculum of what is taught in 5th and 6th grade. (In a public school in the DR).
TIA
PS. I could also use 5th grade curriculum so that I know what he has been previously "taught".

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have just a small piece of advice.

If he has textbooks, make certain if you work from them that the information they present is correct.

I have seen high school textbooks in Puerto Plata that presented grossly wrong information.

As "La Profe" I spent thirty years teaching sciences, especially Biology. My baccalaureate and graduate degrees are in that discipline.

I was horrified to see a student reading a textbook that had mixed up the identification of the flower parts involved in sexual reproduction. That is such a basic concept, but the book had it wrong. It is incredible that a book publisher or classroom teacher would not notice such an error.

Jan 9, 2004
I have just a small piece of advice.

If he has textbooks, make certain if you work from them that the information they present is correct.

I have seen high school textbooks in Puerto Plata that presented grossly wrong information.

As "La Profe" I spent thirty years teaching sciences, especially Biology. My baccalaureate and graduate degrees are in that discipline.

I was horrified to see a student reading a textbook that had mixed up the identification of the flower parts involved in sexual reproduction. That is such a basic concept, but the book had it wrong. It is incredible that a book publisher or classroom teacher would not notice such an error.
Sadly, you are correct.

If the OP wants to tutor in different subjects, I would recommend Khan academy. Lots of courses in Spanish..............and free. They have a stellar reputation and the list of course offerings is quite long and lots of them in Spanish;

My stepson loves their Economics course Finance and Capital Markets (interest/debt/housing/stocks/bonds/investing/personal finance, etc.) as a break from his extra Khan math/science homework sessions during the regular school year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Aug 21, 2007
I doubt the school has text books. What subject are you tutoring him in? What subjects does he have in school? Can he read? How well? Can he add, subtract, multiply, divide?

These may seem like ridiculous questions, but I promise, they are not. First, evaluate what he can do. Then, help with where he needs the most help. If he seems like a strong student, then ask to see his notebooks to evaluate what he is learning. They will let you know what is "taught" day by day in school.

If you need more specific help regarding how to improve reading or help with specific areas of math, let me know.

The 60 kids we tutor in our little Jamao are 11-13 years old and cannot read a single word and do not know phonics.

So never assume.

Good luck!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I doubt the school has text books. What subject are you tutoring him in? What subjects does he have in school? Can he read? How well? Can he add, subtract, multiply, divide?

These may seem like ridiculous questions, but I promise, they are not. First, evaluate what he can do. Then, help with where he needs the most help. If he seems like a strong student, then ask to see his notebooks to evaluate what he is learning. They will let you know what is "taught" day by day in school.

If you need more specific help regarding how to improve reading or help with specific areas of math, let me know.

The 60 kids we tutor in our little Jamao are 11-13 years old and cannot read a single word and do not know phonics.

So never assume.

Good luck!
I'm coming in late in the game with him. I found very easy ways to test him on his abilities on the Kahn website. They have the tests by grade level. I tried out the tests myself and I bet even though he is entering 6 grade he could not pass the 4th grade tests. We'll see. Im going to the states this weekend and I'll buy some basics for him and we will start in about 3 weeks.
Thank you for your response and I will contact you as to his progress.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here are some websites that you can try.

You should be able to make free accounts or at least do trial versions for a couple of weeks/month. Some subscriptions are very expensive, others are not.

Epic Books (English &Spanish)
Storynory (English only)
RAZ Kids (English &Spanish)
Oxford Owl (English only)

IXL Math

XtraMath - should still be free, allows for daily practice and does not allow progression until mastery. It will make him do a placement test before starting. I believe it’s in English only, but you can read the initial instructions to him.

Most reading tests to determine his reading level or Lexile are best administered by someone trained to do it, or an experienced teacher. But the pandemic has brought in major changes to homeschool options.

Be sure to keep his confidence up and encourage him a lot.