Educators, Mothers and Dads: Tell me what is taught in public schools

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All of us know the public schools system in the DR is horrible. We have beat this to death and there is no need to waste a lot of time on a known fact. What I am interested in is: What is taught in each of the grades from 1-6 in arithmetic , spelling, writing reading? Is there a core plan, a lesson plan that the teachers need to follow? Who sets that plan? How is the teacher's performance measured? How are the students graded?

I have a serious interest in this subject and if you have nothing to add other than "the system sucks."..pass this thread by. Please.

Reactions: aarhus
Aug 21, 2007
The schools have a curriculum. Go to the District office and ask to see one. The curriculum is similar to what is taught elsewhere in the world. Teachers are required to write lesson plans that follow the curriculum and course of study. There are low level administrators who supervise and follow up to see that these plans are written each week. What is missing is good pedagogy and no one supervises that, to my knowledge. There is no individualization and no follow-up to see that objectives that were not accomplished are retaught.

Teachers are evaluated, but at least in Jamao nearly everyone gets a good evaluation. Students are graded for the most part based on paper and pencil tests. If a teacher here in Jamao likes a student, special accommodations are made. If not, then the child's mark will reflect that.

There are, from my point of view, two issues that will keep education from improving. 1. Education cannot be political, as it is now. Directors, teachers, and other positions cannot be appointed based on political party instead of knowledge and competence. The education system needs continuity, not changes with each political party, In addition, the teacher's union has too much power that protects bad teachers, absent teachers, and prevents implementation of good practices. 2. Teachers need materials to diversify their teaching. They can learn all the methodology there is, but if they don't have supplies to teach using that methodology, then all goes to waste. The methodology needs to be changed from rote learning to STEM and problem solving based learning. Reading must be emphasized.

I can give specific examples to back up these points, but instead will give others a chance to provide input.

My two cents.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I agree completely with Lindsey. When I read the original post, the first thing that occurred to me was to stop relying on memorization. It has its place, but turning the students into simple tape players, repeating without understanding, is not real education.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I had my 6th private session yesterday tutoring an 11 year old boy in English. I plan on going further with him with his regular studies when school starts but I'm really concerned because I cannot understand how he is about to enter 6th grade. I can be wrong, and it's early in the game for me, but I have a sense he is about 3 grades behind even the barest of education. I hope I'm wrong and that's the purpose of this OP. I need to know...where should he be entering the 6th, 5th, 4th grade level (of a public school).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Re: Pedagogy
Yesterday I wanted to break it up a bit and for me to get more creative with my approach so--- I took him to my "mini-farm". I have tomatoes, cucumbers (which is a problem word for him), PEPpers, flowers. So that became part of the vocab, later when we returned to my apartment. We wrote them, said them and used with other words from previous lessons (big, bigger, red , tree, green etc.) Then on to numbers in english that we began on Sat. I noticed he was taking a lot of time to give me the sequence of the numbers so I took out my domino set so as to flip the tiles at him and get a response. He said can we play dominos? Bingo! Sure, we were off to the races. I told him to move the spead up a touch. and I had to kick him out because it was 2 1/2 hours already. (and he was beating me at dominos.)
I'm trying the best I can with no formal teaching experience.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I had my 6th private session yesterday tutoring an 11 year old boy in English. I plan on going further with him with his regular studies when school starts but I'm really concerned because I cannot understand how he is about to enter 6th grade. I can be wrong, and it's early in the game for me, but I have a sense he is about 3 grades behind even the barest of education. I hope I'm wrong and that's the purpose of this OP. I need to know...where should he be entering the 6th, 5th, 4th grade level (of a public school).
We have a boy that didn't go to school through the whole pandemic and now he has returned. At 12 years old and six feet tall we could not put him back where he was before the pandemic so now, we are playing catch up three grades in one year, and he wasn't a great student to begin with. Thankfully he is a nice well-mannered boy and listens to the teacher. I am not sure how many years ago it started but they try not to fail any child regardless of how poorly they have learned.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First find out what his basic knowledge is, then go from there. With subjects like math, you can't move on until the basics are well known. Step by step logic.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
First find out what his basic knowledge is, then go from there. With subjects like math, you can't move on until the basics are well known. Step by step logic.
Exactly Bob my plan. I have been waiting for him to return to school so that I can determine, is he third grade level, 6th grade....what? Fortunately he is extremely well mannered. Respectful, and hangs on every word I say. We'll see very soon.

Reactions: aarhus

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
We have a boy that didn't go to school through the whole pandemic and now he has returned. At 12 years old and six feet tall we could not put him back where he was before the pandemic so now, we are playing catch up three grades in one year, and he wasn't a great student to begin with. Thankfully he is a nice well-mannered boy and listens to the teacher. I am not sure how many years ago it started but they try not to fail any child regardless of how poorly they have learned.
I'm afraid this is what has happened to my 11 year old student. I shutter to think this boy is at a 3rd grade level. I need to see his work when public school opens.