Eggs

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Many Americans are surprised and sometimes worried when they see stacks of unrefrigerated eggs in DR supermarkets and colmados. I admit I refrigerate them as soon as we get home. Someone gifted me a decorative wooden rooster thingy for my counter, made to hold over a dozen eggs there; I don’t use it. Anyway, I thought this was appropriate: (keep your responses about DR please)

9B501A06-F0FC-4445-AFA5-C0B64750523F.jpeg

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
How about the street vendors in pick-up trucks with stacks and stacks of eggs in the summer with outside temps in the 90's.

I'm sure (lol) they rotate the stacks of eggs. 🔥

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Eggs don't need to be refrigerated. That's a first world issue policed by the Health Unit because they are tyrants. Eggs can last up to 30 days before spoiling. The world's greatest chefs won't use refrigerated eggs as they don't mix, fluff or cook as well.

In my Sosua restaurant we would go through 400 eggs a week and none were ever refrigerated. Nobody ever got sick. I would have needed a standalone fridge just for eggs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Eggs don't need to be refrigerated. That's a first world issue policed by the Health Unit because they are tyrants. Eggs can last up to 30 days before spoiling. The world's greatest chefs won't use refrigerated eggs as they don't mix, fluff or cook as well.

In my Sosua restaurant we would go through 400 eggs a week and none were ever refrigerated. Nobody ever got sick. I would have needed a standalone fridge just for eggs.
Very interesting about the way they mix/fluff/cook better.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I need to start buying eggs more frequently and stop storing them in the Reefer.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I wonder a bit about this bloom....it's best not to think about it I guess.

Remember, once refrigerated, they must be refrigerated after that. It is very difficult to find eggs that have not been refrigerated here in Canada unless you have a farm near by.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am just going to say that the storage temperature of an egg matters (washed or unwashed).
I would do a little research to learn what what science has shown.
The idea is to preserve your eggs in the best quality until they can be consumed.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
All this is very interesting about eggs. In the DR we keep ours out in an egg rack on the counter and in the US in the refrigerator. But in the DR we never have that many at one time.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
1st world eggs are washed before sale..... that's the difference.... they need refrigeration
Close, but not quite. Eggs shells either washed or not are porous. There's is a slight chance of salmonella, therefore the health authorities in the first world passed a law making it mandatory for businesses to refrigerate eggs.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I noticed that many eggs, mostly the ones I buy from the trucks, don't have firm yokes. When I break open the egg to fry a dippy egg ( yellow soft) the yolk is broken, not a nice little dome. Most eggs I buy in the store have a firm yolk and make good dippy eggs.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
My refridgeration is a premium on board so ... let eggs warm to room temp. Thin film of petroleum jully and they keep well for a month. Could be more but haven't gone much past it.

Reactions: Seamonkey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I noticed that many eggs, mostly the ones I buy from the trucks, don't have firm yokes. When I break open the egg to fry a dippy egg ( yellow soft) the yolk is broken, not a nice little dome. Most eggs I buy in the store have a firm yolk and make good dippy eggs.
Yep. What I like to call "Healthy eggs." I'm no expert, but I think that is a combo of either old or lack of proper nutrition. Yolks break easily, and really difficult to do over easy without breaking. I've given up on making the perfect eggs.

I tend to prefer the Endy "extra large" eggs over the smaller ones that come from organic farms.