Eggs

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Excessive heat WILL degrade the quality of an egg over time.
It is simply a matter of how long you need to preserve them.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Close, but not quite. Eggs shells either washed or not are porous. There's is a slight chance of salmonella, therefore the health authorities in the first world passed a law making it mandatory for businesses to refrigerate eggs.
I dont know if the Netherlands, Belgium and Tenerife are considered first world but all eggs in supermarkets are NOT refrigerated.

Reactions: Seamonkey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you buy them un-refrigerated then you do not need to put them in refrigerator.
If they were bought as refrigerated eggs then you Must put them in refrigerator. In any country not just "over regulated countries such as NA".
If you get home and wash them then you must refrigerate them.
If you buy them from a refrigerator and on the way home in our lovely weather of 99% humidity, condensation forms on them ,put them in refrigerator immediately.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you want the scientific reasons for the posting in #26, the reasons are on multiple sites on the Internet. I did not know these points of information until this tread was opened.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
Eggs come naturally with a "bloom" covering the shell. Protects the inside from any outside contamination. Can be left unrefrigerated. Once that is washed off no more protection from contamination. Refrigeration is necessary at that point. On a side note older eggs peel much easier when making hard boiled eggs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Eggs don't need to be refrigerated. That's a first world issue policed by the Health Unit because they are tyrants. Eggs can last up to 30 days before spoiling. The world's greatest chefs won't use refrigerated eggs as they don't mix, fluff or cook as well.

In my Sosua restaurant we would go through 400 eggs a week and none were ever refrigerated. Nobody ever got sick. I would have needed a standalone fridge just for eggs.
NALS,
this is why I cited 1st world... pointing back to this post

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
In the US most eggs are refrigerated when you buy them so it would make sense you put them in your fridge immediately based on AE's chart.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have kept chickens for the past 10 or so years. What is a criollo egg?
There are two common chicken types here, Gringo chicken and Criollo chicken. I have always been told that the "gringo" chicken was more of a fatter, more tender chicken. The "criollo" more of a scrawnier type that is tougher. So, the "criollo" egg from the "criollo" chicken... I am sure someone here has a better description..lol

Exodusbywind

Jun 25, 2022
Pennsylvania
There are two common chicken types here, Gringo chicken and Criollo chicken. I have always been told that the "gringo" chicken was more of a fatter, more tender chicken. The "criollo" more of a scrawnier type that is tougher. So, the "criollo" egg from the "criollo" chicken... I am sure someone here has a better description..lol
Thanks for the reply!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Fresh, when you crack it open one egg doesn't cover the whole pan and the egg will stand up a lot more. Stick one in a glass of water and one end will float up every time.

Reactions: JD Jones