Eggs

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was pleasantly surprised to see the prices of eggs in DR. Coming from the USA, where they are $6-7-8 a dozen, more in some places, it’s one of the few things that is cheaper here.

What I never noticed before is the label saying to keep refrigerated. They’re always just stacked up in the supermarket or colmado, and many here don’t refrigerate the eggs they buy. Is this something new, or did I just never read the label before?

I took a photo but it won’t upload. My internet here is weak.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe new government regulations that require farmers to wash the eggs before sending them to market?
Or previous refrigeration?
Here is an interesting ink that tells us everything we always wanted to know about eggs and their storage.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
I was pleasantly surprised to see the prices of eggs in DR. Coming from the USA, where they are $6-7-8 a dozen, more in some places, it’s one of the few things that is cheaper here.

What I never noticed before is the label saying to keep refrigerated. They’re always just stacked up in the supermarket or colmado, and many here don’t refrigerate the eggs they buy. Is this something new, or did I just never read the label before?

domestic food has price controls, as far as eggs go, I've never seen them refrigerated, so any type of egg I'm cooking is 'well done'

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What irks me is when you buy a dozen and they're mixed sizes.

ENDY eggs are really bad about that. A dozen "Extra Large" will have two or three itty bitty eggs, maybe 3-4 very large and the rest are medium sized.

I got a dozen of "Granja Libre" at Bravo today for $159 pesos.

For the price, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003

AE. If the label said refrigerate then I hope they were refrigerated where you found them. The link to the article provided by flyinroom is spot on. The hen applies the bloom which will give it natural bacterial protection. Once that's washed off then that egg requires nearly constant refrigeration. If some retailer there is displaying eggs that have been washed, in unrefrigerated areas, then you are probably taking a bit of a chance on their quality. I worked on the UF ag farm for a couple years during my undergraduate studies and would stop by the UF poultry unit and pick up flats of unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs that me and my two college roommates ate as our primary protein source as poor college students. Nothing wrong with them and they sat on our counter until eaten.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE. If the label said refrigerate then I hope they were refrigerated where you found them. The link to the article provided by flyinroom is spot on. The hen applies the bloom which will give it natural bacterial protection. Once that's washed off then that egg requires nearly constant refrigeration. If some retailer there is displaying eggs that have been washed, in unrefrigerated areas, then you are probably taking a bit of a chance on their quality. I worked on the UF ag farm for a couple years during my undergraduate studies and would stop by the UF poultry unit and pick up flats of unwashed, unrefrigerated eggs that me and my two college roommates ate as our primary protein source as poor college students. Nothing wrong with them and they sat on our counter until eaten.

They were NOT refrigerated at the supermarket. They were on shelves under the produce tables.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
There was a recent thread about eggs, full of good info, merge the threads? I searched for it and didn’t find it

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That’s the brand I bought. It says “manténgase refrigerado”.
Maybe those are imported eggs from the USA vs Dominican created eggs?

There is an issue right now concerning rice as US rice will now be able to enter duty free into the DR. Dominican rice producers are not happy about this. Many think they will not be able to compete and rice production will disappear in the DR (along with that the thousands of jobs in rice production, including thousands of Haitians in the rice paddies.) Representatives of US rice producers were recently in SD, further increasing the worry among Dominican rice producers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Label
E78D7733-D7D8-41B8-A3AC-72F12962CA32.jpeg

Reactions: NALs

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have seen that sticker before. Ours don't have it. They are Grade A Grande in a 18 egg carton. I will check Bravo tomorrow when I go
Don Chichi, cofounder of Granja Mayra in Licey al medio Santiago... Carretera la Chiva, and founder of Fabrica de alimentos balanceados Cibao SA, also cofounder of Ciudad Marina Luperón.
Familia Fernández Licey, Santiago.

JJ

Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have seen that sticker before. Ours don't have it. They are Grade A Grande in a 18 egg carton. I will check Bravo tomorrow when I go

On the way home from the airport last Saturday, my BIL stopped at the new Ole on 27 de Febrero near Nunez de Caceres so we could grab some groceries. That’s where I bought the eggs.

Also first time I’ve seen a huge moving 2-story escalator that you roll your cart onto.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
On the way home from the airport last Saturday, my BIL stopped at the new Ole on 27 de Febrero near Nunez de Caceres so we could grab some groceries. That’s where I bought the eggs.

Also first time I’ve seen a huge moving 2-story escalator that you roll your cart onto.
Isn't there one at Mega in SDE?