El español dominicano

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Dominican expressions

I watched this video today and enjoyed it. This You Tuber has a very relaxed style which is a plus when providing information. In this video she gives the meaning of some very local expressions. Great visuals as well.

For those who are new to the DR or around Dominican speakers for the first time should find this video helpful.

BTW there are more videos on this topic from this You Tuber. I will get to them bit by bit.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is the video to compliment the one above in post #61. In this one the You Tuber gives examples of the expressions in possible real life scenarios.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a video with a few common Dominican slang words. I like this You Tuber. She gives very simple explanations of common Dominican slang. For example, the meaning of vaina, chercha, chin, manin etc.

I may have posted this video a while back in another thread but it is perfect for this one too.

Feliz viernes a todos.

Chao,

-MP.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a really good video by El Pachuli Show about the three main dialects of Dominican Spanish- cibaeño, sureño, capitaleño. It is quite informative with good examples and humour. It is good to see that Caribbean Spanish is getting visibility and more analysis. It is more than just about dropping the S. The video is all in Spanish. If you can understand it is worth the time to have a look.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Linguistic comparison: el español cubano 🇨🇺 vs el español dominicano 🇩🇴

This is a good mini presentation with lots of examples comparing linguistic aspects of the spoken language in both countries.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Insults and understanding what they mean is an important part of language. You may not use them but it is good to understand what people are saying.

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Listening to the spoken language is the best way to train your ear. By simply listening you get a feel for the speech patterns, intonation, cadence. Just keep listening. It gets easier.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yes, good that you subscribed to her channel. I think she should speak more in Spanish but I know she is teaching so it is all good. She has a nice accent dominicano pero muy claro.

I think the guy in the video speaks like the average Dominican- accent, intonation and speed. In my opinion, it is not even fast. There is faster Spanish out there. If you get to practice just listening (and listen again) eventually you will start to hear the language.

I will look for some more videos that are focused on listening comprehension and if I find any I will post them.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
They are asking their viewers:

Is Dominican Spanish hard to understand?

Do you think it is hard to understand Spanish spoken in the Dominican Republic and if so why and give examples?

Comments here 👇

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They are asking their viewers:

Is Dominican Spanish hard to understand?

Do you think it is hard to understand Spanish spoken in the Dominican Republic and if so why and give examples?

Comments here 👇

I am used to it I by now. Concerning the video, I think they both speak quite clearly, but the man speech pattern sounds more typical to my ear.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The reason I find it a little hard is that many people speak so fast and there is usually a lot of background noise in this country! :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Spanish I was used to before coming to the DR was Andalusian so I had few problems. It is not the only place where people drop the S, Ls are pronounced as Rs and vice-versa, or where '-ado' endings are pronounced 'ao.' But yes, some people do speak too fast and don't bother to slow down when speaking to foreigners.

The woman in the video has a US English accent, the man sounds more Dominican.

Reactions: Africaida

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
My take is:

Caribbean Spanish is spoken at a rapid pace compared to the rest of Latin America ✔

Speech patterns can be categorized in the Spanish language in general. Every region or country has its own characteristics ✔

The quality of Spanish including speed will vary. Compare the Spanish you hear at the colmado vs. on the street, vs the bank teller, vs the journalist vs the university prof etc. Big difference although all speakers will exhibit characteristics of Dominican speech.

In the video (in my opinion):

the guy sounds dominicano.

the lady sounds less Dominican (maybe) because of her English but by no means like an English speaker 100%. She has a lot Dominican nuances. It is easy to tell that Dominican Spanish is her foundation.

I think it is hard to sound pure anything once you are living outside of the country where xxx language is spoken. I think the way she speaks Spanish is perfect for those who want to learn.

-MP.

Last edited: