Electric bill up 200% anyone?

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
I went to pay the electric bill and it's now 200% higher than ever. I've heard from another person the same thing happened. They claim there is an unpaid bill and there's excessive usage. I have all the bills and receipts and the new story is that there must be something wrong with the meter. When I log into the edesure account there is no bills or payment history from any month in 2023, it ends december 2022. A couple of possibilties, I accidentally found you you can lookup anyone's bill using the 6 digit contract number, because i made a typo, so it seems like there is weak security probably? Also could be they just decided to raise the rates without warning. This happened in California about 20 years ago where they just raised the rates a crazy amount, 200% is a big jump i think, and everyone made noise about riots and stuff but nothing happened and people just paid their bills and they have never gone back down.

But hopefully it's just a mistake and will get ironed out.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There are endless reasons the E's will give you for an accelerated bill. A hidden charge is in the case you suddenly increase your normal consumption by some x%. In this case they factor the whole consumption at the highest kw charge. 200% is doubtful. I would think someone is pegged to my meter in true lambon fashion.

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
200% is mathematically correct. The entire 2023 bill and payment history is gone from my online account, and their office was full of people with the same problem. I heard from one who's bill was 21,000 - way overboard. Also, as I understand the only way to get the right amount is to go to their actual office. It's not a use-fee problem. If you were affected by whatever happened, it seems like it will get resolved if you go in their office. Calling did no good.

• Wow
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you were affected by whatever happened, it seems like it will get resolved if you go in their office. Calling did no good.
Agree 100%. For the past few days we have been trying to get status on a new account. Wife has called dozens of times. NEVER has made actual contact since she went there last week to open the account with our vitals. Me the, big shot, went on line to their website and their "Vitual Office" Wasted 30 minutes of my time playing the fool. You see I'm up early...because we will be first on line at their office this morning. Things only get done here (and everywhere) with the face-to-face method. Funny that the mafia taught us that with their debt collection ideas. LOL.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My wife went into their office and they straightened it out. Sounds like a computer problem to me.
My aunt has been having that problem several months, we fill a reclamation 2 months fine and then again same problem, the new bill now rised 100% so today go back again to fill a new reclamation. In my house in april I got also 100% increas, so in May I didnt pay as they gave me a credit.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It used to be possible to see my status on line, how much power I was using at the moment, and see my bills.
Once in a while I get an email for one of the two bills I signed up for paperless delivery.
All of that fell apart on Edenorte's web site and they obviously don't care to fix it.

We have to go to the office at the end of the month to see what the bill is.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Did anyone see the notification I posted a while back about them raising their rates?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I nearly died from the covid and when I came out of the hospital the doctor suggested we go to the coast and I must exercise to get my blood to recover. We were in Cabarete for 6 months and when we got back Edenorte informed us that they were changing our meter because our usage had dropped dramatically.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
It used to be possible to see my status on line, how much power I was using at the moment, and see my bills.
Once in a while I get an email for one of the two bills I signed up for paperless delivery.
All of that fell apart on Edenorte's web site and they obviously don't care to fix it.

We have to go to the office at the end of the month to see what the bill is.
I don't know what you're talking about. I log into my oficina virtual a few times per week to see my charted consumption to-date. I just verified it now when I read your post. What exactly do you find is broken, or are you just whining as usual?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know what you're talking about. I log into my oficina virtual a few times per week to see my charted consumption to-date. I just verified it now when I read your post. What exactly do you find is broken, or are you just whining as usual?
Same here. That's pretty much how I learned how to trim my usage.

expatdr1

Jun 9, 2021
Santo Domingo
I went to pay the electric bill and it's now 200% higher than ever. I've heard from another person the same thing happened. They claim there is an unpaid bill and there's excessive usage. I have all the bills and receipts and the new story is that there must be something wrong with the meter. When I log into the edesure account there is no bills or payment history from any month in 2023, it ends december 2022. A couple of possibilties, I accidentally found you you can lookup anyone's bill using the 6 digit contract number, because i made a typo, so it seems like there is weak security probably? Also could be they just decided to raise the rates without warning. This happened in California about 20 years ago where they just raised the rates a crazy amount, 200% is a big jump i think, and everyone made noise about riots and stuff but nothing happened and people just paid their bills and they have never gone back down.

But hopefully it's just a mistake and will get ironed out.
My bill went from average of 3,800 pesos to 30,000 pesos in December. When went to complain it went down to $7,000 pesos returned to normal for awhile and Bill in May was $15,000 pesos complained the company dropped down to 9,000 pesos and again this month. So fought with edeneste, they did not drop it. Put in case with Protecom we will see what happens. Edeneste claimed was using more electricity, funny thing I have not even been in the country for 2 months so not sure how my usage actually went up.....The other person that lives with me was still at home, but they do not use A/C (their choice) they prefer fans. They watch tv our stove is gas, makes no sense at all to me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Same here. That's pretty much how I learned how to trim my usage.
Are you talking about real time KWH usage online ? I don't know where that is possible as it would take internet connected meters

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My bill went from average of 3,800 pesos to 30,000 pesos in December. When went to complain it went down to $7,000 pesos returned to normal for awhile and Bill in May was $15,000 pesos complained the company dropped down to 9,000 pesos and again this month. So fought with edeneste, they did not drop it. Put in case with Protecom we will see what happens. Edeneste claimed was using more electricity, funny thing I have not even been in the country for 2 months so not sure how my usage actually went up.....The other person that lives with me was still at home, but they do not use A/C (their choice) they prefer fans. They watch tv our stove is gas, makes no sense at all to me.
Mine has doubled over last summer and nothing has changed, Yes I put the Inverter AC on when I go to bed for two hours , same as last summer.
I think their must be something in the works because all my neighbors seem to be realizing the same jumps
At this point Florida Power and Light is cheaper electricity

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Are you talking about real time KWH usage online ? I don't know where that is possible as it would take internet connected meters

How else would I be able to look at my daily usage on their website?

But let's be honest here; I take the readings with a grain of salt. Why? Because I'm home all day every day, and my routine doesn't change much from day to day. So, how would they come up with these weekend readings?

1689685417218.png

Last edited: