Electric Car Charging stations?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mike,

People have the option to charge their EV's at home with either 220, or a fast charger that you pay a company to come out and install it in your garage. Rich people in the DR can certainly afford it many times over.

With electric motorcycles or scooters, you can charge them with 110 or 220 in most cases.

How many rich people can do this, Frank? In the DR, in Santo Domingo, Santiato , Puerto Plata? What number versus the total population? In 20 years are there going to be many more rich than poor or about the same?

EV motos: that could happen at a much faster rate if they become practical for the DR

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Let me just clarify, I don't expect this to happen overnight in the DR. I'm talking 5, 10, 15, & 20yrs from now things will be completely different then they are right now. That's how it happened in northern Europe.

It started with a small EV company "THINK," and just escalated from there. Now you can even see electric bicycles everywhere in Europe.
Exactly.

And now when the technology are developed and proven in other countries, it may not take that many years, even here in RD.

Even the Chinese car manufacturers looking to RD for a piece of the cake, deals are set up.

China, not Tesla, is driving the electric-car revolution

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't get me wrong on this discussion. I am for electric cars. They will certainly rid the DR of a lot of bad auto mechanics when they are the only things on the road. Imagine one of the first shade tree mechanics who reaches into a location of an EV he dare not go and touches a couple of hundred volts DC.....

Electric motos are a dream here. Imagine the lack of sound from them.

Last edited:

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Electric motos are a dream here. Imagine the lack of sound from them.

But there are solutions for the alfa male moto drivers, no worries.

Consider starting import of Soundracer, get any sound you like!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
But there are solutions for the alfa male moto drivers, no worries.

Consider starting import of Soundracer, get any sound you like!

In this country you can hear the sound of MUSIC coming from more than 4 blocks away.
I used to have an AMET living across the street from me. He had 4 20 inch speakers in his trunk.
He liked bachata i always knew when he was coming home. and As soon as he started the car in the morning
I GOT MUSIC !!!!

I once asked him if they were against the law ! His reply was I am the law !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those guys won't switch to EV's willingly. Imagine being able to go only a few miles per charge because your stereo system draws 10kW.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
I can't help but agree with your message. Changes are happening and as more of the public demands grow for electric cars, the companies will have to adapt.

I believe CEPM has already installed three electric car charging stations in Punta Cana/Bavaro, and one in Bayahibe. Right now they are free of charge but in the near future, maybe they will install a way to pay for the service. The cost for one full charge is extremely low, a little bit over a the price for premium gas.

While not very well-known, in 2013 Congress passed law 103-13 to incentivize the importation of hybrid and electric cars. CDEEE is taking notice as EDESUR is planning to install a charging station in the South; like CEPM, private companies like gas stations and restaurants have installed charging stations in the Distrito Nacional and on the highway towards the north. Likewise the investment of InterEnergy Group in the East, currently there are two car dealers that provide the service of installing these stations and selling only electric cars.

This future looks promising, even if there will be -more- obstacles on the way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The few token charging stations in the country might be good "marketing" for the sales of EVs.

After the 50% of on import duties, ITIBIS and first registration fees, what are the prices of new EV's in the DR?

And what does it cost to install a level 2 charging station (a 220V version) in the DR?

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
The few token charging stations in the country might be good "marketing" for the sales of EVs.

After the 50% of on import duties, ITIBIS and first registration fees, what are the prices of new EV's in the DR?

And what does it cost to install a level 2 charging station (a 220V version) in the DR?

This will add many new jobs. For example the need for more tow trucks to tow cars to charging stations. Lots more poliece to control the line's of cars and fights over who is jumping the que. Like parkidores there will be pushadores for those who can not get a tow truck. And then what do you do while the charging is going on. There will be many vendadores ambalante selling food beer rum and whatever turns them on. The need for public latrines will be imperative as nature can not waite. Maybe someone will make a portable potty they will rent to driver in need. Near by parking for the ones who have car problems. [ Electricity is not magic if it's not working no go. You cant get a gas can full of electric on every corner. ] This is just a fue new jobs that will spring up Dominicans will think up many new things to go with the new TEC. ! And be ware of windshield washers and the fights they will produce. cars keyed tires flattened and who knows what.
But just like all new tech. It sooner or later survives here or they will be exporting used electric car's from the D.R.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unlike vehicles with a combustion engine, all batteries including those in electric vehicles have a finite number of drain/recharge cycles. The cost of a replacement battery pack for a standard electric car varies by manufacturer but for the sake of argument, let's say it's in the neighborhood of $7000.00 USD.

Purchasing a used electric vehicle comes with the real risk of a required battery pack replacement in the not too distant future. Avoiding this inevitable maintenance cost would be a strong motivation for someone to sell their EV and having it passed along to someone else to deal with.

Those who drive electric vehicles know or at least they should that know that coming to a dead stop due a completely drained battery is bad for the batteries. Similarly charging them to a full 100% charge every time is not optimal. Ideally when the battery drain reaches 20% charge left, it's time to stop and recharge. At 80% - 90% it's time to unplug and get back on the road. Drivers of these vehicles either operate them within these constraints or accept that they will be shelling out big dollars sooner than they might otherwise have to.

For puttering around town, an electric vehicle can make a lot of sense as city driving speeds and frequent start/stops is when the electric engine is most efficient. Those with a need to drive for hours at a time at highway speeds do not see the same efficiency return on their investment.

The electricity needs to be flowing for a power station to work. If you need juice to get home and the power is out, at the very least your car is going to be parked until the electricity comes back. Or you choose to drive beyond the lower recommended energy reserve level and cumulatively shorten the life of the batteries each time you do that. Where I live this sometimes means a wait of up to six hours. Not sure I'd like to hang around for that length of time just so I can get myself and my car home, to work or to the bar to watch the football game, which would be long over if I have to wait for the power to come back on most times.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just spoke with a friend in the US I went to college with and worked with at a number of different jobs back in NY. He was in the Navy and was the reactor room operator on the Nimitz. He is an excellent software engineer who also understood electronic hardware better than most. We built Intel 8008 microprocessor systems back in our early college days to learn about microprocessors at the dawn of their existence and use them to help monitor linear accelerator experiments.

My friend just purchased a Hyundai Kona . The battery is guaranteed for life. He is going to take a trip from upstate NY to Florida with it using an app that shows where all the charging stations are. Then he will spend a month in Florida and return to NY. He loves the Kona.

I think it will be some time before EVs in the DR are sold with lifetime battery guarantees. I have no doubt, the number of charging stations is sure to grow over time and so will the number of EVs.

We just lost power , on Christmas day. I guess my EV would not be charging now if I had one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just a thought. Once all the Jeepetas sold are battery powered and the politicians are also forced to use electricity to charge them , that could be the "Driving" force to keep the lights on 24/7.

We have been off, back on, and now off again as I wrote this and the previous post.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
The cost of a replacement battery pack for a standard electric car varies by manufacturer but for the sake of argument, let's say it's in the neighborhood of $7000.00 USD.
I have a friend that has a Tesla model S and he was told that a new battery pack was $22,000.USD

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I did a little bit of research to figure out the mean replacement cost. I am sure that every manufacture of high end electric vehicles has a range of battery prices and some performance vehicles will certain take a higher end battery for a higher cost.

Between the two types of vehicles I can only think a few infrequent repairs that would total a similar high price. With an EV you know without a shadow of a doubt that if you keep that EV long enough, you will be needing a new battery pack. If a manufacturer warranties the batteries for the life of the vehicle, I'd be interested in seeing the fine print on that offer.

But to each their own. An EV may be just what is needed in some family's circumstances. At this point, EVs should not be considered an equivalent drop in replacement for a liquid fuel vehicle.

We'll just have to see where the technology is in 10 years.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
With an EV you know without a shadow of a doubt that if you keep that EV long enough, you will be needing a new battery pack.

If you keep ANY vehicle long enough, you also will be needing a new car.

Batteries are warrantied to last at least eight years and should last even longer. It’s best to think of them as lifetime components of the vehicle – they should last for as long as the car does.

And if considering a EV in this climate, buy one with liquid cooling of the battery pack.

From 2010 to 2019, lithium-ion battery prices (when looking at the battery pack as a whole) have fallen from $1,100 per kilowatt-hour to $156/kwh—an 87% cut. From 2018 to 2019 alone, that represents a cut of 13%.

Do not predict the future by using past prices.

It is now anticipated that pack-based cell prices will dip below the $100/kwh mark in 2024.

But we will need hundreds of thousands to millions of electric cars over their full lives to have enough data to make definitive statements about battery life. Remember that manufacturers only design cars for lives of 10 to 12 years and 100,000 to 150,000 miles to start with, though Toyotas and a few other brands often last far longer.

Thus far, data shows Tesla batteries have only lost about 10 percent of their energy capacity after 100,000 miles.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A 10% loss after 100,000 miles is not an issue. As you state, more statistics are needed on battery life and they will be coming fairly soon.

I just saw a TV news piece about the UK Police buying electric cars. Turns out they are not fast enough to catch the criminals and are being repurposed. Duh. They did not have a spec for top speed? That and the problem of time to recharge was also a big, not a small, issue.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
A 10% loss after 100,000 miles is not an issue. As you state, more statistics are needed on battery life and they will be coming fairly soon.

I just saw a TV news piece about the UK Police buying electric cars. Turns out they are not fast enough to catch the criminals and are being repurposed. Duh. They did not have a spec for top speed? That and the problem of time to recharge was also a big, not a small, issue.

Thames Valley Police, which has 25 green vehicles, said: 'The greatest challenges will come from the ability to match advances in vehicle related technology to operational requirements.'

It has warned that the demands of tactical pursuit and containment – ways of ending a high-speed chase – would clash with 'autonomous braking' technology, just as caps on maximum speed would inhibit emergency response.

In addition 'day running lights' on modern models would undermine 'surveillance requirements'.

In addition, when you are buying Nissan Leaf’s and expect them to be awesome fast cars and rapid charging, well that speaks from itself. Poor decisions happens everywhere.

Look at a real EV Police Car. My son has one, without the extras. Previously he owned a Leaf for many years and he saved a little fortune on gasoline and not needed to pay in the toll booths.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
What happens to the D.R. economy when its biggest source of income, exorbitant auto petrol taxes, dries up ?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..the new Toyota Prius..will charge on any 120 outlet, then your home becomes a charging station...