Electrical Bill problem

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
gmiller261 said:
I stand corrected. 400% form last October. That's wrong, very wrong.

How was it that you used 1,235 kWh if there was only electricity for 8 hours per day? Did they exaggerate those hours?

I don't know if this is true or not but I've seen it printed in the newspapers here, that the power companys extrapolate your bill out from the hours that you did have power. In other words lets say you get exactly 8 hours per day. They take your usage of power for those 8 hours and charge you for the other 16 hours that you did not get. But in reality you would not be using power at that rate if we had it for 24 hours. Because when the power is on, we are running everything. You have your a/c on, your hotwater heater on, you dryer on, your invertor is sucking down as much power as can come in also. This apparently is how they are trying to make ends meet each month.

If you read the news today, the head of the energy institute stated that the REST OF THE WORLD pays 5 - 6 cents per kilowatt hour.

The basic cost of electricity in the DR, for it's poorest people, starts at twice that rate.

He also stated that electricity should only cost 6 or 7 cents per kilowatt hour in the DR.

So the bottom line is, my bill would be $61 - $74 USD in any other country in the world. But here my bill is $263.90 USD.

Welcome to the 3rd world.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
For those of you that figure you are coming in under the 1,000 rate, think again.

I just saw another friend's bill for this month.

His total usage was 884 kWh.

He was charged at a HIGHER RATE THAN ME. 7.90

So at what level do they decide not to use the ky jelly now? 500? 750?

Grab your ankles y bienvenidos.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Think I've got an answer!

I studied and studied my bill, I've even run it under Marco's nose but yesterday I actually got my calculator out and checked all the numbers. It says I used 1754 kWh. At the bigger rate of 7.87 RD per unit. The meter reading said current 38873 previous 38477 (spot the problem yet)? That's right! The numbers don't add up. 38873-38477=396!

I skipped into EdeNorte and they have agreed it is wrong and are apparently going to issue another bill.

The trouble is that we're so used to the machines not getting it wrong that we've all stopped checking. Hopefully this will resolve a few of those big bill blues!

Thanks for everyone's help - I'll keep you posted.

Simon

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Simon & Nicky

Good for you. Let's see what they try next.

gringo in dr:

They are insane. I smell class act suit. I'd rather spend that money on several good lawyers and embarrass them one more time.

The first thing the lawyer will do is go public and wait for the thousands of potential clients.

Extrapolate... crap.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
gmiller261 said:
Good for you. Let's see what they try next.

gringo in dr:

They are insane. I smell class act suit. I'd rather spend that money on several good lawyers and embarrass them one more time.

The first thing the lawyer will do is go public and wait for the thousands of potential clients.

Extrapolate... crap.

Is there even such a thing here?

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Democracy

Well, no not that... but

Money talks and bullsh.. walks.

You can't tell me that as corrupt as the whole system is, someone can't find someone even more 'corrupt'. Sorry I mean (PC) money conscience. Not just one lawyer, 5 lawyers.

Yes, I know we are in a 3rd world country, but contrary to popular belief it can work for you (sometimes).

And yes I do believe a group can get satisfaction. Operative word ?satisfaction? may be not a pound of flesh.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Must Be Dreaming,or you don't live in the DR!

There is nothing "Legal" you can do that will make a damn bit of difference! Just do what a vast majority of the dominicans do,"Steal" your electricity!It gives me GREAT satisfaction to run my "Air" all the time(Well,as much as there is power!)and not pay for it!! Saame goes for water heater,fans,TVs,3 "Fridges" etc.,and that doesn't count my apt.!
I'll pay,when everyone pays,until then,I'll play by Dominican rules!
You can paY FOR THE "POOR",THE gOVERNMENT,and everyone else who doesn't pay!Cris Colon

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Criss Colon said:
There is nothing "Legal" you can do that will make a damn bit of difference! Just do what a vast majority of the dominicans do,"Steal" your electricity!It gives me GREAT satisfaction to run my "Air" all the time(Well,as much as there is power!)and not pay for it!! Saame goes for water heater,fans,TVs,3 "Fridges" etc.,and that doesn't count my apt.!
I'll pay,when everyone pays,until then,I'll play by Dominican rules!
You can paY FOR THE "POOR",THE gOVERNMENT,and everyone else who doesn't pay!Cris Colon

Cris, unfortunately I think you have the only solution. If you can't beat them, join them.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Sorry Chris

I do not play the victim well.

I believe this issue can and should be addressed, may be just more effort than you want to invest.

And if 'living' in the DR makes you complacent then I do not live there.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
gmiller261 said:
I do not play the victim well.

I believe this issue can and should be addressed, may be just more effort than you want to invest.

And if 'living' in the DR makes you complacent then I do not live there.

Ever been bitten by a mosquito? How did you take that? We are all victimized from time to time, what matters is how we put it in perspective.

I am beginning to suspect you don't live here, because if you did you would learn the difference between complacency and being unwilling to throw good money after bad, and that there are many projects available here that will demand all of your effort and get you nothing but tired.

I just got my power bill, and was billed for a total of 650 KWH, which makes sense mathematically.

I was billed 6.5 pesos per KWH for all usage over 300 KWH, about 17 cents per KWH. The total bill was 3000 pesos, alot considering the crappy service but I can afford it.

It would still cost more to run my own generator, and it would still take me nearly 20 years to pay off a solar investment at that rate.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
MrMike said:
Ever been bitten by a mosquito? How did you take that? We are all victimized from time to time, what matters is how we put it in perspective.

I am beginning to suspect you don't live here, because if you did you would learn the difference between complacency and being unwilling to throw good money after bad, and that there are many projects available here that will demand all of your effort and get you nothing but tired.

I just got my power bill, and was billed for a total of 650 KWH, which makes sense mathematically.

I was billed 6.5 pesos per KWH for all usage over 300 KWH, about 17 cents per KWH. The total bill was 3000 pesos, alot considering the crappy service but I can afford it.

It would still cost more to run my own generator, and it would still take me nearly 20 years to pay off a solar investment at that rate.

Ok so somewhere between 651 and 884 they charge one set rate of just under 8 pesos. Anyone know what that exact number is?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You should file a written complaint with Protecom explaining why the bill is outrageous. Look at your consumption for the last year, if there is a spike for the last period, there is something obviously wrong. Multiply the kilowatt-hours consumed by the stated rate. I've seen simple mathematical mistakes that can be easily remedied.

Edenorte CANNOT cut your electricity off while the complaint is reviewed.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Thank you Mr Guzman

For those of you who feel you are paying more than your fair share. I personally would pay Mr. Guzman to write the letter and have further conversations with the ?Authorities?.

If after all is said and done, the figures are correct for current situation, then so be it. At least someone in charge may think twice about ?the normal way of doing business?. And things may ?improve?, go figure.

Those of you who feel it is ?good money after bad? or ?There is nothing "Legal" you can do that will make a damn bit of difference!? then of course do not.

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
great advice

electrical bill

It's very true sometimes you have to turn these matters over to an attorney. It's worth fighting. It's not right when the bill has spiked suddenly for no reason.

I have contacted my attorney who put in a written complaint to the office. So my case is being reviewed .

good luck to everybody who is fighting the same fight.

LA Woman :cool: