Electricity - Outage - Generator

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't understand and probably never will but why do peeps move to this country knowing the problem with electricity and do not budget in a secondary source such as an inversor backed up by a gen set (emergency generator). Also why not have a reliable source of hot water and just plain water in general?

Maybe I am Americanized spoiled but no way would I want to live here and have my electricity go out for four or five hours three days a week.

I know there are a few expats who just pay the price to run the a/c, keep the frig cold and just be happy.

I live in SD and pay the few extra dollars a month to live in a building where I am only without electricity for 20 seconds until the generator kicks in. Plus I spent a few dollars on a couple of UPS so when the lights go out my TV and computer don't skip a beat. I continue to surf or watch a movie without a blink of the eye.

Just sayin'

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Cant imagine there are many expats out there without backup ( inversers, batteries, generators, solar panels, cisterns, tanks, pumps, tinacoa......).

I am in the campo, and the TV does not go off when the luz leaves, the inverser kicks in........ pay a couple of $ more and u wont have the 20 s lapse.......:)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Cant imagine there are many expats out there without backup ( inversers, batteries, generators, solar panels, cisterns, tanks, pumps, tinacoa......).

I am in the campo, and the TV does not go off when the luz leaves, the inverser kicks in........ pay a couple of $ more and u wont have the 20 s lapse.......:)

Not too sure about that cause too many threads get started about what do I need to do for constant electricity. My 20 seconds lapse is no big deal cause that is basically how gen sets are programmed. I can deal with that.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A lot of the expats are dirt poor surviving on minimal social security.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I AM dirt poor......... I survive on....... nothing.......

I complain about the lack of electricity ( say we get 8 hours a day ) and also the fact that the luz is unstable ( on, off, on...... high, low, high, off, on....).
I changed my batteries last year. Downgrade from 12 to 8. The luz has been more reliable. First time yesterday I drained them ( and let them dry uptoo , but that is another story....). In 3 days, we had 4 hours of luz.......

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Lines in, no lines out.

Although our finca is a 'bit remote' we have 24/7 electricity, pure drinking water, hot water supply, good internet and about 350 TV channels.
I planned it that way, because I knew that the country's infrastructure sucks.

So, do not whine about it, provide for it. :laugh:

donP

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
good here in Talaquera. been 3 weeks now constant lights.

Thiefs stole 2 of my inversols and my batteries 4 5hp planta too heavy

I'm fine now- gave my Haytian my shot gun - 3 geese 2 muts and 1 85 lb Pit

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some people really do not have much. some, to my surprise, like barrio livin' and think no luz y no agua is real DR. i like creature comforts so we have backup power, huge cistern and water heater. DR is not the easiest place to be after coming from the first, or even second world country so i prefer to have the basics covered and b?tch about other stuff that irks me.

but i met gringos who live without those little luxuries and seem fine nonetheless. to each their own.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
years ago in sosua we had blackouts (b.o.)at the same time almost everyday... and of course you could rely on it.... only when the b.o. went into the evening did the alternates come on....diesels...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Although our finca is a 'bit remote' we have 24/7 electricity, pure drinking water, hot water supply, good internet and about 350 TV channels.
I planned it that way, because I knew that the country's infrastructure sucks.

So, do not whine about it, provide for it. :laugh:

donP
You should shoot a video of your system. Or do you have some already?

Yours should be the template for off-the-grid living in the DR.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
some people really do not have much. some, to my surprise, like barrio livin' and think no luz y no agua is real DR. i like creature comforts so we have backup power, huge cistern and water heater. DR is not the easiest place to be after coming from the first, or even second world country so i prefer to have the basics covered and b?tch about other stuff that irks me.

but i met gringos who live without those little luxuries and seem fine nonetheless. to each their own.

Living a pretty simple life, but with Internet, Cable Tv, and in the Campo (almost).. Power outages are not so bad around here but yes, sometimes we can be for more than 5 hours without luz... But what, as long as it's during the day, doesn't affect much of my daily routines.. Internet still on... And I have a bunch of books...

But yes, it's in my plans to get an inverser and batteries, just in case we have no power at night and I want to watch TV....

Oct 21, 2014

Ok thanks for sharing out the solution.. I have been facing similar problem..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I NEVER hear of a ?Planta? that didn't take 20, or more seconds to start providing power.
Even those with automatic start.
I have a ?Suegromatico?.
Take 3 to 5 minutes to start.
Depending on how fast my ?Suegro? can run!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Actually I dont have a planta...... the inverter /batteries kick in automaticaly when the luz goes out. No delay.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Also I was wondering. Can the inverser/batteries provide power while being charged by planta ??

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Planta takes more time than that to get rolling!
The Transfer switch can be set for a delay, because, as we all know, the power often goes on & off every few seconds before it Decides if it's going to stay ?OFF? or ?ON?!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC