Electricity rate hikes put on hold

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-tarifas-electricas-Presidencia-1024x573.png

President Luis Abinader announced a stop to the programmed increases in the tariffs of the government power distributors – EdeSur, EdeEste and EdeNorte. The President said he favors an amendment to the Electricity Pact ruling that calls for increases in the tariffs every three months to remove the electricity subsidy gradually. President Abinader said he would propose the change to the Economic and Social Council (CES) that coordinated the pact agreement.

While the increases should be under 10%, many households and businesses have complained of increases of upwards of 50% without more consumption. Some households and entities report a doubling of their power bills. This has caused resentment of many at a time when inflation is already at a recent record high. Most Dominicans are connected to the national electricity grid that the government power distributors...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"The power increases come at a time when Dominicans have learned that the power distributors have been subject to major government corruption."

It is a solid move not to ask people to pay more until you know the government officials running the operation are not lining their pockets with money being paid by the people for electricity.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If the Dominican Republic was to go private with the electrical generation system they would need a very strong, independent regulatory agency that put the consumer first or in my opinion they would be going from the frying pan into the fire.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't know too many Dominicans, but the ones I do are all grumbling and it is way more than a 10% increase. My fixed rate unit has doubled in two billing cycles, my metered unit at least a 35% jump per KWH.
And they are all blaming Abinader - he can count on backlash as the "factura de la luz" is a major issue for Dominicans

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How long can they hold off on huge rate hikes with these numbers:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If the losses are due to inefficiencies, graft and corruption, elimination of that leakage may eliminate the losses and no more increases may be needed. But don't tell me to pay more if I am lining your pocket. I want to purchase electricity.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The problem mostly is that electricity companies are making an average up never down, my aunt was complaining a lot that every month electric bill was to expensive, she was saving electricity as crazy and every month hiking the bill, so we open a case with EdeEste, they said everything was calculated correct, then we went to PROTECOM and open a case with them, they went to investigate to the home, checked the meter, asked to turn on some electrodomestic and then turn off, read it and left. Final decision was the EdeEste wasnt reading the meter and overcharging since January, the letter gave the company 30 days to refund all extra money they charged.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The decision to abolish the CDEEE due to all the corruption is understandable however it would have been better had they thought a bit more about the problems it would cause going forward before doing so. Until this country stops allowing these politicians to rape and pillage public funds... very little if anything will ever change.

The privatization of any government controlled institution is often done in order to increase profits not to improve efficiencies.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
My aunt got 15,000.00 pesos refund, and last bill was the most expensive for 5,000.00 pesos was not included in the months revised we made another complaing for them to make real reading of the last month too.

My bill went up this past month, do I need to reclaim my money or the adjustment to the factura would be done automatically?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My bill went up this past month, do I need to reclaim my money or the adjustment to the factura would be done automatically?
1. You must first pay your bill.
2. Then you file a complaint with your electric company.
3. If you are happy with the answer they give you you are done, if not proceed
4. Goto PROTEMCOM with the answer from the electric company and file a complaint with them.

Make decision based on the amount of the bill and how much your time is worth to you.
Much success to you ‼️

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
1. You must first pay your bill.
2. Then you file a complaint with your electric company.
3. If you are happy with the answer they give you you are done, if not proceed
4. Goto PROTEMCOM with the answer from the electric company and file a complaint with them.

Make decision based on the amount of the bill and how much your time is worth to you.
Much success to you ‼️
You can make the complain with Protecom online. Protecom Online

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The weird thing about the recent hikes is that the government has been announcing it will start to increase the electricity bills since last year as a consequence of reducing its subsidies to the sector. No one was complaining while it was announcements. The the hikes begin and whoa, people are now shocked at them.

The kicker? The hikes are suppose to continue for several years. Even if the government puts the hikes on hold, that is simply to calm the population and then the hikes resume.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I pay a total of nine bills, two at the higher commercial rate so any increase is quite a jump. If I get consistent service a few hundred pesos more per bill doesnt bother me, I can afford it, many can't.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
The weird thing about the recent hikes is that the government has been announcing it will start to increase the electricity bills since last year as a consequence of reducing its subsidies to the sector.

The jest is totally on you if you do believe the highlighted part. How much do the CEO's of the EDE's make a year, how much raise have they given to themselves?

Let me see how erudite you really pretend to be with the answers.

No one was complaining while it was announcements. The the hikes begin and whoa, people are now shocked at them.

No one is shocked -- people are shocked at the abuse and the false pretenses.

The kicker? The hikes are suppose to continue for several years. Even if the government puts the hikes on hold, that is simply to calm the population and then the hikes resume

DR 101 of course.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The weird thing about the recent hikes is that the government has been announcing it will start to increase the electricity bills since last year as a consequence of reducing its subsidies to the sector. No one was complaining while it was announcements. The the hikes begin and whoa, people are now shocked at them.

The kicker? The hikes are suppose to continue for several years. Even if the government puts the hikes on hold, that is simply to calm the population and then the hikes resume.
I complained.
I also said rather than Dominicans being proactive and asking more questions about the details of this arrangement, it would generate another "reactive" (never proactive) response.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Problem is the Hike was not 9%, as they said, Hike was in a lot cases 100% and more.