Electricity rate hikes put on hold

Feb 7, 2007
Problem is the Hike was not 9%, as they said, Hike was in a lot cases 100% and more.

They said 9%. What they failed to say was 9% on every hike calculated from the previous hike (multiplier). What was costing 4.40 pesos per kWh, after the hikes were over in few years was to cost 12 to 14 pesos per kWh.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
But what should the real cost be?
Cost of operations plus an allowance to maintain current equipment and a sinking fund for planned capital improvements.
Where can those numbers be found?

Feb 7, 2007
But what should the real cost be?
Cost of operations plus an allowance to maintain current equipment and a sinking fund for planned capital improvements.
Where can those numbers be found?
Remember, roughly 40 to 50% of all electricity produced is lost. Inefficient transmission (about half of loss), and free electricity (another half of loss).

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Remember, roughly 40 to 50% of all electricity produced is lost. Inefficient transmission (about half of loss), and free electricity (another half of loss).
Ok, the number goes into memory.

Users of electricity need to pay 2 times the amount we actual use plus Cost of administrative operations plus an allowance to maintain current equipment and a sinking fund for planned capital improvements.
So what is that number?
Without it we cannot know how much we need to pay.

The companies that generate electricity are owned by the government.
There is no need to factor in profit margin.
We should only be paying for the true costs.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Users of electricity need to pay 2 times the amount we actual use plus Cost of administrative operations plus an allowance to maintain current equipment and a sinking fund for planned capital improvements.
So what is that number?

I seriously doubt that we will ever know or be able to know the true number. It's not just as simple as looking at income vs expenses or assets vs liabilities. How many of the supplier contracts are padded with an extra 40% or maybe even 100%? How many phantom employees? It would take an army of auditors months to figure this stuff out.

• Wow
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
May I ask the wise men of this forum to estimate how much the average monthly cost for an average 1 bedroom apt, work from home with A/C?

If it is shocking, I'm getting a fan (I'm not in DR yet).

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
May I ask the wise men of this forum to estimate how much the average monthly cost for an average 1 bedroom apt, work from home with A/C?

Don't know anything about rates but do want to say I've been here close to 4 years and never had AC. Ceiling and/or column fans only. Never have a problem.

Reactions: Fiji

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How

How long is a piece of string?

I'll put a ballpark out there of 30 dollars a month

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Depends where you are and how much you're using the a/c. If you're in Punta Cana and only using it to cool your bedroom off a few hours before bed, probably $100 usd/month. If it's a new a/c unit you could probably run it all night and only pay $100 usd/month.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Depends on how many hours per day you run the AC. Likely $45 to $90 dollars if you use the AC 12 hours a day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
1. You must first pay your bill.
2. Then you file a complaint with your electric company.
3. If you are happy with the answer they give you you are done, if not proceed
4. Goto PROTEMCOM with the answer from the electric company and file a complaint with them.

Make decision based on the amount of the bill and how much your time is worth to you.
Much success to you ‼️
If you read the news, at least those using EDESUR will get automatic refunds.
I don't know about the other EDE's.

When my wife was at the Cabarete Edenorte office there were people there that wanted to rip out the managers throat. They were SUPER PI$$ED OFF.
It is long passed time these incompetent corrupt people were not involved in the electric (and water) utility business.

Our bill didn't go up nearly as much as others are complaining about. Just what the new higher rates caused.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Problem is the Hike was not 9%, as they said, Hike was in a lot cases 100% and more.
I have no idea how people were hiked up 100% or more. I would like to see copies of the before and after bills on that.
Our increase was based upon the rate differences, not some doubling as others have seen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

So what is that number?

I don't think this is true for all generators of power. A few may be totally government owned and run. Others can clarify this point who are in the know.
The government runs the power distribution companies in many parts of the DR. The EDE's for example, like EDENORTE for me.
That is how they are able to be so corrupt and have so many people not pay and stick it to those that do, while doing little to make
up for the losses in transmission and theft all along paying themselves wonderful salaries.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

I have a client in a 1 bedroom apartment who seems to use a/c all day. Her bill is about $90 a month. I would start off with a fan and only get a/c if you find you can't live without it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If you read the news, at least those using EDESUR will get automatic refunds.
I don't know about the other EDE's.
My bill did not go up at all.
EDEESTE
I am usually too busy enjoying my life here in the 🇩🇴 to bother with reading the news.
But, I am trying to figure out how reading the news would help me or provide me with any useful information in this case.
But thank you for the recommendation.

EASTSIDE!!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Remember if you are renting here in the Dominican Republic the owner might not have installed a A/C unit.
Then you would also incur the expense of purchase and installation of the unit.