Embarrassing Las Terrenas After Semana Santa 2021

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I'm curious as to what the attraction is for those in SD with LT. It just seem so far to me and there are closer places. I've never been there so there may be something I'm missing.

They are closer places, but LT has km of beautiful beaches and many private luxury villas with pool. It s very convenient from the capital, it s a 2h trip on the highway.
Come on down for a weekend, I will show you around! :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Being right here in Las Terrenas, I would say this SS2021 wasn't the worst ever. Of course there is a large amount of trash, but the new mayor is very efficient & it was all clean by mid-morning on Sunday. Of course I 100% dislike the noise, but then what can we expect if we stay in a beach town during Semana Santa? On a personal note, I am tremendously enjoying my soundproofed apartment in those occasions (!!!) The Covid thing? Either they all die, or it doesn't transmit the way they say on TV, because nowadays here, people don't really wear masks anymore, and there is no more social distancing. But I am not seeing people getting sick. (disclaimer, I am not a doctor!) I would say the biggest issue Las Terrenas is having with massive influx of Sto Dgo tourists is the transit. Not enough space for those huge jeepetas to cruise & park. That is the real big problem. And about noise issues, now Dominican youths start to react on social medias against gringos because they want to protect their noisy lifestyle. Basically, it's either you embrace it, or shut up about it, or you are told to go back to your country. I expect some more conflicts on that level.

Traffic was indeed TERRIBLE. I feel sorry for these people living on Ballenas and Punta Popi, impossible to get around (even my concho couldn t work because it was at a stand still).

A villa next door to me played House music for 72h straight. Annoying to drink my coffee on my terrace with boum boum boum non stop but that s only once a year. Call me crazy but after a year of being confined, I was happy to see young people having fun. I know I would have lost my mind if I were in my 20s and lived through a pandemic.

Reactions: Buster Rhyno

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
here in Cabrera - while doing my walk with the dogs in La Entrada beach there was trash in piles for the most part. Trash cans would make a huge difference Mr Mayor !!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Being right here in Las Terrenas, I would say this SS2021 wasn't the worst ever. Of course there is a large amount of trash, but the new mayor is very efficient & it was all clean by mid-morning on Sunday. Of course I 100% dislike the noise, but then what can we expect if we stay in a beach town during Semana Santa? On a personal note, I am tremendously enjoying my soundproofed apartment in those occasions (!!!) The Covid thing? Either they all die, or it doesn't transmit the way they say on TV, because nowadays here, people don't really wear masks anymore, and there is no more social distancing. But I am not seeing people getting sick. (disclaimer, I am not a doctor!) I would say the biggest issue Las Terrenas is having with massive influx of Sto Dgo tourists is the transit. Not enough space for those huge jeepetas to cruise & park. That is the real big problem. And about noise issues, now Dominican youths start to react on social medias against gringos because they want to protect their noisy lifestyle. Basically, it's either you embrace it, or shut up about it, or you are told to go back to your country. I expect some more conflicts on that level.
Both the UK and Brazilian strains have been found in the DR, the second one in particular is hitting young people the hardest.

A person with the Brazilian strain in the USA has a recent travel history to the DR.

"MDH also reported that the CDC identified one additional patient with the variant – also a metro area resident – with recent travel history to the Dominican Republic. This case had a symptom onset date of Jan. 10, 2021."

If the Brazilian strain has spread in Las Terrenas, symptoms should arise within two weeks. Until then, infected people will look and feel fine. All it takes is one infected person to start the spread.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD Jones

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I personally know someone,a woman, who was "employed" doing that, they made a non-liveable wage (8k a month or less if I recall), had to be on the beach at 4 -5 AM and the best part...were "fired" before the 3 months was up, then re-employed when the next batch was nearing 3 months.
A young man that does some part-time work for me also had this type of work before Christmas. It was a three month stint as well, cleaning the Juan Dolio beach in the early morning hours. As I recall he worked from 6-10 am in a group of 4 or 5 others. He was promised payment after 3 months. That came and went without getting paid,in spite of the Chrismas holidays, but eventually got paid.
I don't know what the pay rate was. I walked by some of these workers several times and I must say...they weren't doing very much other than each of them checking their phones.