Emergency Message From US Embassy

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Universities and college students have been in the forefront of strikes, protests and social movements in the USA since at least the early 1960's. Why should it be any different here? Would you prefer revolutionary guerrillas instead, as was the case in so many other Latin American countries? K

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Ok sooooo

Here in the states,I bust my behind to provide for my family,yet people come here illegally,have children,now they get food stamps,cash,section 8,housing,free health care,etc,etc,etc,....you think I care? I care about me being able to run the ac all night for my boys.Little advise so your cardiac system runs for a few more years,don't worry about things you can't change.

how about having a nice, lovely air conditioning on all night? because they pay a flat rate for power regardless of the usage?

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
own? no. they have no titles. people move to cities every day. they do not buy the land they build on. this land belongs to the government, or to no one in particular.

the government also provides housing on regular basis. for instance they put up apartments to house the people who live along the rivers and on the beach. they were constantly being flooded. and you know what happened? many who received a free apartment sold it and came back to living in a shack.

there are many projects like this all over the country. the government constructs houses because they want votes. but all they teach is that everything in life comes free.

Two government housing projects that I know of are:

Rocky posted this: Yes. La Union is a barrio (suburb) of Sosua.
Originally built approx. in 1995, to house the people who live in the Charamicos ghetto, called El Tablon.
Unfortunately, a corrupt governor at the time sold the apartments off to friends & aquaintances. When Balaguer came up to inaugurate the opening and found out what had happened, he left in a huff, and the rest of the story, we'll never know for sure, but El Tablon is still there, the number 1 ghetto on the North coast.

I knew a retired Italian with a young Dominican wife who bought a three bedroom apartment there in 1997 for $3,500us. He put another $2,000us and had a beautiful place. A lot of the people who were able to get a unit did sell them and move back to El Tablon.

A similar situation happened when they cleared the people out of the ocean from area know as Playa Bergantine and relocated them to small box cutter houses on the east side of Monte Llamo. Where they better off than where they were living before? Now they had power (some times) sewers and water with paved streets. It was free housing to my understanding. Where else has this happened? I don?t know but I expect it?s common thoughout the island.

Helping the poor, setting a bad example who knows for sure.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The biggest "Public Housing Scam", is when they build very elegant, High Rise Apts., then sell them to politicians, who then re-sell them at 3 to 4 times what they payed.
CCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 15, 2005
the usual stuff: Los manifestantes populares reclaman construcci?n de escuelas, arreglo de calles, saneamiento de ca?adas y la construcci?n de un hospital materno.

(...) para exigir construcci?n de viviendas para pobres, un centro materno infantil, asfaltado de calles y otras demandas.

Las demandas son: arreglos de calles, electrificaci?n y la construcci?n de distintas obras comunitarias, construcci?n de una plaza de la cultura, una biblioteca moderna en el Curne-UASD, saneamiento y encachado de la Ca?ada Grande, la carretera ecotur?stica Naranjo Dulce-Rancho Abajo, un asentamiento agrario, liceo en la salida a Tenares, la avenida circunvalaci?n, un hospital materno infantil y equipamiento de los laboratorios de la carrera de Ingenier?a, entre otras.

Casi na

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Actually, Navarette, Licey, San Francisco and San Pedro have always been the big ones. Haina/Nigua isn't far behind.

Yes, I didn't mean that SFM was the only one. And there are others besides the ones you listed. Gaspar Hernandez, for example, has always been a strike town, and there is another near Nagua, but i can't remember its name.

But for shootings, SFM is at the top or one of the top on the list.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The MORE, The MERRIER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Too many 40 year old "Students" anyway!
They graduate with a "Major In Huelga", and a "Minor In Gomas Quemao"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many have a "Double Major",
"Huelga Y Tira Piedras"! :dead::dead::dead:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Dominican barber shop, has a "Split" AC, LOTS of lights, a big TV, several fans, all at "OUR EXPENSE"!
My wife gave her sister a 12,000btu "AC" that we weren't using. They don't pay a "dime" for "Luz"!
I'm waiting for the expected increase in my kw useage charge.
Thanks to the "IMF"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The house that I looked at to buy that had free electricity was serviced by a #16 cord coming form a neighbor's house and wouldn't have carried enuf current fora nice lovely airconditioner to run all night, probably wouldn't have even supported a sporadic one for a few minutes at a time.

derfish, for every barrio that has crappy electricty where you cannot plug in anything but light and TV there is a barrio here with 24/7 luz where you could have a cryogenic cabin instead of a bedroom.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
kerisa has a great post illustrating this huelga:

2d9w66v.png

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Huelgas are a funny thing in the DR. When I am in the country during huelgas, it is best to go to a tourist beach town and hang out for a few days on foot. Strikes are used to sort of put those in control that they are getting close to crossing the line or have crossed it. SFM is somewhat infamous for strikes but I have rode a quite a few without any problems. A few pesos has gotten me passed a few burning tires when one appeared that I was unaware and being a gringo has gotten me many a free pass. I have also found out that the organizers of the strike get paid off to stop the strike. Sort of Dominican ying and yang.