Encuentro Beach Shacks Bulldozed today in Cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This move makes absolutely no sense to me. The surf shacks and the vitality they brought to that stretch of the beach were good for the area, good for the locals working there, and a great draw for tourists who aren't looking for just drinks and all-inclusives on the beach. And they kept that part of the beach relatively clean! It seems like if the real problem is that they were too close to the water, well, then wouldn't it be better to help them relocate across the road? If they were dismantled because they were on private land, its too bad an agreement couldn't have been reached to legalize them, pay some rent, or whatever. All seems short sighted to me!

Think of it this way. Someone has the money to make it happen. That is all that matters. Think of what Lifestyles as been allowed to do in Cabarete. The land is by law in the public domain. The shacks were illegal. Perhaps the land will be privatized illegally.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
I suspect that your grasp of the typical dominican mindset is limited.

Oh, I understand the typical Dominican mindset. Doesn't mean I agree with it. Just voicing my dismay at yet another potentially viable, grassroots operation has been bulldozed in the name of big (outside?) money, government that doesn't seem to care about the people, and technicalities that seem to be overlooked in other cases (Lifestyles steals the beach, people protest and nothing happens. Surf shacks steal the beach, people protest to keep them, but government tears them down anyway. Follow the money).

Last edited:

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
No. Since when is it the govt's responsibility to help squatters find a legal place to rent? They're squatters. Move or get moved.

Sure. That's the hard line. But if there's a development in the works for the land, wouldn't it be an interesting idea to incorporate the surf shacks- collaborate with the entrepreneurs who invested a bit of their money into boards and gear etc, and have them reopen in legal storefronts in the new development? Perhaps that's a pipe dream in this country ... but just because they're squatting doesn't mean what they've started isn't viable- and couldn't make someone some money in rent, perhaps. It's already proven to be a popular draw for tourists and locals alike.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sure. That's the hard line. But if there's a development in the works for the land, wouldn't it be an interesting idea to incorporate the surf shacks- collaborate with the entrepreneurs who invested a bit of their money into boards and gear etc, and have them reopen in legal storefronts in the new development? Perhaps that's a pipe dream in this country ... but just because they're squatting doesn't mean what they've started isn't viable- and couldn't make someone some money in rent, perhaps. It's already proven to be a popular draw for tourists and locals alike.

There is no way they could afford to pay the rent in legal storefronts. A pipe dream indeed.

( The illegal shacks were being charged a modest rent (illegally) of the land by someone who never legally owned the land. Such is the real way of the DR. )

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

The chicas and surfers have started a support group in Sosua they meet fridays ! Called Squatters rights ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
37017704_10216008573068356_316528730254082048_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216008573028355&set=gm.10155949412357983&type=3&theater

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Probably a lot of mis-truths in that thing. If someone is planning on developing private property, it's probably because of the water sports draw the area already has.

Either way, key word there being private property.

And oh yeah, but it's ok for the squatters to build shacks and defecate into the sand. That's fine.
What a joke.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The waves will keep coming, the sand will come and go with the seasons. It will always be a world class surfer's beach regardless of who is occupying the area beyond 60m from the waterline.

So they've knocked down a few illegal surf shacks that were paying rent to a local mobster. Big deal! Let someone with money come in and actually beautify the place.

I don't care about the surf shacks. They were an eyesore. I do care about the sort of people who would use this area at night time for all sorts of nefarious dealings.

I live and own property in Encuentro and I support the actions of the government.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Probably a lot of mis-truths in that thing. If someone is planning on developing private property, it's probably because of the water sports draw the area already has.

Either way, key word there being private property.

And oh yeah, but it's ok for the squatters to build shacks and defecate into the sand. That's fine.
What a joke.

I certainly understand beeza's comments about that region and what was happening there. One of the main reasons for the "cleaning" that just happened.

The beach and the 60 meter set back (which includes the access road to that area) are in the public domain and cannot be legally made private. Operative word is legally.

Ilana Neumann, the mayor of Sosua, said last night on the news that people will not be blocked from accessing Encuentro beach. She would not allow that to happen. I doubt any illegal business will be allowed to set up there again, but you can take your own surf board there and surf.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Later today I have seen pics of work being done allegedly to close the road to the public.

Maybe the access is going to be moved to a different spot? There's a gov't office that determines the "need" for a public access across private property. So if a development of that area is underway, I'm sure that office is involved.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Another one bite the dust, soon there will no beach the public can go to - unless you stay in their "development".... !

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Another one bite the dust, soon there will no beach the public can go to - unless you stay in their "development".... !

Where on earth are you getting that from? People can buy land and do what they want with it.

Go make an offer on the land behind that beach. Outbid everybody else. Then turn it into a public park for all. On your dime.

You can do that you know.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
The waves will keep coming, the sand will come and go with the seasons. It will always be a world class surfer's beach regardless of who is occupying the area beyond 60m from the waterline.

So they've knocked down a few illegal surf shacks that were paying rent to a local mobster. Big deal! Let someone with money come in and actually beautify the place.

I don't care about the surf shacks. They were an eyesore. I do care about the sort of people who would use this area at night time for all sorts of nefarious dealings.

I live and own property in Encuentro and I support the actions of the government.

Same here live and own property just next to the surf shacks that they just knocked down.

Saw multiple trucks of caliche coming in with a bulldozer working quite late, past 7:30 pm.
So, work already started on the other side of the road.

Do we know if as part of this effort to renovate the area ,the abandoned construction which looks like a resort of 100+ rooms will be renovated or teardown ?