Epidemiology director says: Positivity rate needs to drop under 5% for in-person learning to resume

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ronald-Skeewes-Ramm-N-Digital-1024x669.jpg

The director of Epidemiology at the Ministry of Public Health, Dr. Ronald Skewes conditioned returning to a version of in-person learning at schools nationwide to when the Covid-19 positivity rate drops to under 5%. Today the positivity rate hovers around 10%. Dr. Skewes said that for weeks the rate had been gradually descending, but now it has plateaued to around 10-11%. In the Dominican Republic, the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Education authorized only distance learning programs for the 2020-2021 school year.

Dr. Skewes is also against reducing the present Covid-19 preventive measures, including curfew during the Christmas holidays. He warns Dominicans should not let down their guard and continue to wear facial masks, keep physical distancing and wash hands when meeting friends and family.

Educa, the local pro-education society, has been...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The impact of this decision will have a very long lasting (negative) impact on these children's (handicapped) future. I'm guessing Dr. Skewes children are getting their educations in private?
Rember these words....
Rice and beans for thee but not for me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with the 5 percent but the problem is there are areas where it is already lower than that and hot spots that are much higher.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Meanwhile all those drunk idiots can show up in the tourist areas & hosts pool-parties every weekends (!!!)