Everything about parasites!

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Yes. But now we have lime trees in our garden and I drink a lot of lime juice every day - when others have a Presidente I have lime juice. And apparently no worms. :):)

Forgive my ignorance on this subject :D but you just drink pure lime juice? Can sugar or honey be added to make it a bit more bearable?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Encline Designs,

Once as a teenager I has some kind of parasite (i dont recall what). A naturopath prescibed to me grapefruit seed extract (like 3drops per day for a month). It tasted horrible but it worked!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Celery has to be soaked in bleached water.

Celery has to be soaked on a roaring fire for a few hours...

I wash my teeth in the shower (I've got sensitive teeth so prefer to rinse them in warm water). I rinse in the shower water when in DR but spit don't swallow (which is the opposite advice that... perhaps not) I reckon there are plenty of nasties in the sea water and being so good at sinking, I usually end up swallowing more of that than tap water when rinsing. Probably not the most sensible logic I admit!

I would cook in tap water that has been boiled for about five minutes before the food goes in (rice & pasta etc). I make coffee & ice with bottled water.

And yes, I eat from street vendors from time to time. That goes for other countries as well as Dom Rep (Vietnam & Thailand among others)

I've never yet been ill, but then, I don't live there, perhaps if I did, I'd be increasing my risk of becoming ill by living in this manner?

I am also intrigued (& concerned) about the barefoot thing? I prefer to be barefoot at home and pretty much anywhere really. Not sure what the risks are re this?

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Any person that comes here will have to have their system adjusted to the common bacteria found here. For example, Dominicans, accordinding to my Doctor and evidenced by a blood test) have 5 or 6 types of Salmonella bacteria in the intestinal system, which many foreigners may not have. The danger is when they are "activated" - a small amount in the system will actually prevent this.

Therefore over time one's body over time will gradually acquire the needed bacteria and be stable. This is what happen to most people that come here as it happened to me.

We only drink bottled water but brush our teeth, bathe and wash the dishes with tap water(even rinsing out a glass before uding it to drink).

Dominicans will drink tap water w/o giving it a second thought. I won't do this as I know it is not a good idea.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Touch Wood

We have been going to Cabarete every 2-3 months for a week or so at a time. We don't live there permanently but when we are the we

Use bottled water for: brushing teeth, tea, coffee, ice, boiling pasta etc, washing non-peelable fruit/veggies i.e. lettuce.

We use tap water for: showering (obviously), washing dishes, rinsing peelable fruit if it is dirty

My husband eats from the street vendors...I don't. In 2 years we have not been sick and only once each had a touch of the runs in the early days. I'm sure living there increases your chances of catching something but so far (touch wood) we have been lucky.

I do go barefoot a lot...not sure what that's about but can only assume it is from nasty bite-y bugs or spiders?

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Symptoms?

For those of us who have not had the joyful experience of an infestation by parasites, what tips you off that that is the problem? Symptoms similar to food poisoning I would guess?

Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those of us who have not had the joyful experience of an infestation by parasites, what tips you off that that is the problem? Symptoms similar to food poisoning I would guess?

Thanks.
There are varying levels.
Stomach gurgling, the poops, poops and fever, poops-vomiting & extreme fever, sometimes known as Typhoid fever.
And yes, similar to food poisoning, in varying degrees.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Thanks.

A strange feeling of unease when you are not within sprint distance of a loo. :) And wind............some people get a forewarning hurricane of flatulence, both ends, occasionally simultaneously.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
barefoot: I believe hookworms are contracted through the feet.

The tap water here where i live is NOT good. I once had some that had been boiled and it had a very very bad taste to it.

Stay out of the rivers and fresh water. trust me you do not want to know how many pig farms are up stream that use the river as a dump.

I check to make sure my glass/plate/silverware is dry before use, and i stay away from salad.

I brush with bottled water.

I take a antiparasite pill once or twice a year.

Been here 4 years and never had a problem.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I prefer to get some parasite in DR than getting some type of cancer here in the US, since it is an epidemic almost in the whole country.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
I prefer to get some parasite in DR than getting some type of cancer here in the US, since it is an epidemic almost in the whole country.
My thoughts exactly! Although, last time I was in DR, years ago, it wasn't too fun when I did catch a parasite and spent the night hugging the porcelin throne :eek: But I'll take that over cancer anyday!;)

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Mebendezole/Albendezole and going barefoot

Fel-6 (mebendezole) and Zentel (albendezole) are available everywhere with instructions for taking. They are exactly the same medecine used for cats and dogs. A 200mg dose in the pet aisle of a US supermarket costs $1.95. At the pharmacy it costs $15 plust $60 for a first visit to a physician to get a prescription. They are completely side-effect free and should be taken twice a year, or when you have symptoms. I used it on my children 45 years ago in south Florida when they got pin worms.

Not only hookworm but viruses can penetrate through the feet, not mentioning "mossy-foot" and various fungi infections. Some larvae that enter through the skin from the soil can grow worms as long as 1-2 meters, at least in Africa. Walking barefoot on coral and volcanic soils can lead to Kaposi malignacies and odd viral infections. Celulitus (elephantisis) can be caused by staph entering lower limb scar tissue -- I know, I got it that way. As well as cholera, malaria, six kinds of salmonellas/paratyphoids in Asia and the Caribbean/South America.

BTW it's not typhoid fever, but PARAtyphoid. I don't believe much typhoid, if any, exists here (Rocky Mountain fever, etc.).

Point is: don't go barefoot in the tropics! Cook all meats well-done, and do the things in my previous post. If you have a rain-catch with a cistern that you filter and once in a while treat with a bit of chlorine, you can make ice, coffee, brush your teeth, etc. Public sources of water, usually not. It isn't Kansas anymore. It's a whole lot better.