That works Gary - floating around ---

I do it... SD, LT ,STI... a night or two... breaks the monotony

W

william webster

In July/August....Lake Huron can be hotter than here.. and more humid.. deadly

Toronto was 40C Thursday

K

keepcoming

Been spending more time in the USA since last year when my dad passed. But prior to that I needed a get away every 5 or 6 months. Maybe it comes with age (lol) but as much as I love living in the DR and have been for over 22+ years now, I find myself needing a bit more time away. I find that I feel better after sometime (3-4 weeks) away.

C

chico bill

A trip to Playa Grande with a friend in this low season does wonders for the irritability.
But one must leave and catch up sometimes with medical, or mail or friends.
But definitely to load a suitcase to bring back some things (like tools) or other that are cheap Chinese disposable junk.
And of course gifts of some better quality items for close friends. (or lovers if that's your niche)

A

AlterEgo

In July/August....Lake Huron can be hotter than here.. and more humid.. deadly

Toronto was 40C Thursday

Very true, BUT when it’s brutal outside (been in the 90s with high humidity in south Jersey) most homes have AC. Our home in DR only has AC in bedrooms, and then only when we have electricity, inverter won’t power them.

L

LindseyKaufman

Sorry, folks. I love it here. Have lived in Sosua and now in Jamao. Two entirely different cultures. I have thousands of acquaintances here in the DR, but cannot really say that I have one friend. Yet, my US friends old and new are still as close to me as ever, despite the distance.

What I do have here, though, is precious. A slow life. Less concrete. More green. Warmth and generosity from the locals. Simplicity. Smiles. And the illusion that time will go on forever.

I do go to the US a couple of times a year for meetings, but after 2 days, I am homesick for the DR.

Last time we did a quick run to the US, my husband made the fatal error of driving on I95 using the Dominican rules of the road. We were caught in the middle of road rage that almost got us killed. I told my husband that he is not in Oz any more. He needs to be alert and follow US driving rules because people there get angry quickly and don't forgive.

......But everyone has their needs and life rhythms. That is what makes the world go round.

Lindsey

W

william webster

Lake House had no A/C... fans - just like here
and water 50yds away.... soak your head before bed.

keepcoming is on to it.... regular visits off island.... or out of the culture... pick one (or two!!)

W

william webster

The article I ;posted says that LK...

Some adapt better.... to the cultural changes....
I think I'm Mr In-Between
but I have reminded myself about the US driving rules..... rein myself in....

It doesn't work well in the US - different culture (again)

D

drstock

Maybe it's the distance involved or maybe I'm just lazy, but I don't need to go home to the UK unless it's absolutely necessary. I can't go to enjoy a Presidente on the beach every day there!

B

bigbird

Very true, BUT when it’s brutal outside (been in the 90s with high humidity in south Jersey) most homes have AC. Our home in DR only has AC in bedrooms, and then only when we have electricity, inverter won’t power them.

That is one thing I have always said to myself. If I can't have close to the same creature comforts in la rep dom as I have stateside than time for me to be somewhere else. Being in SD Centro I can easily do without a car but 24/ electric, A/C, washer/dryer are a must. Oh, I can also manage without a dishwasher. LOL

C

chico bill

Lake House had no A/C... fans - just like here
and water 50yds away.... soak your head before bed.

keepcoming is on to it.... regular visits off island.... or out of the culture... pick one (or two!!)

I soak my head in rum...doesn't seem to cool me down ?

H

Harleysrock

I get the itch when I go back to Canada or the US, I want back here ASAP.
It feels like an annoyance to me to leave here most of the time. I sure do prefer the weather, air and food back home but I don’t feel I am even really Canadian anymore, the Country seems almost foreign to me.

Totally understand why some need to leave here, it can be a lot at times!

B

bigbird

It feels like an annoyance to me to leave here most of the time. I sure do prefer the weather, air and food back home but I don’t feel I am even really Canadian anymore, the Country seems almost foreign to me.

I used to feel the same way. I think a major contributing factor is what did a person leave behind in their native homeland?

I can think of several things I can't do in la rep dom that I enjoy when stateside. The novelty of living abroad has worn off so I spend a little less time in la rep dom. Actually late spring and summer I just as soon be stateside. Not quite as hot plus saltwater fishing and gardening keeps me quite busy when not visiting family.

Now when the snow hits the ground in NE USA not better place than Santo Domingo............. LOL

N

NALs

All places change with time, some more than others. If you don’t spend enough time in a place that was important to you, eventually that place changes so much that you begin to not recognize it. You remember how it used to be, but that old place no longer really exists.

N

NanSanPedro

That is one thing I have always said to myself. If I can't have close to the same creature comforts in la rep dom as I have stateside than time for me to be somewhere else. Being in SD Centro I can easily do without a car but 24/ electric, A/C, washer/dryer are a must. Oh, I can also manage without a dishwasher. LOL

How do you deal with the traffic? That would drive me up a wall and I don't drive here.

B

bigbird

How do you deal with the traffic? That would drive me up a wall and I don't drive here.

Like I mentioned I don't have a car. Most things for daily living are close by and I walk, usually around a 10 minute walk. The Metro subway stop is 8 minute walk so I go underground. If I can't do either than Uber, let someone else drive and I piddle with my cell phone.

S

suarezj519

I loved living in SD Centro. SD to me feels like just the right size city I can tolerate, not too big not too small :p. I did feel spoiled with the 24/7 electricity and faster internet speeds than when I'm in cotui. But after being in the DR back and forth these past years, I can deal without 24/7 electricity, it actually allows me to go out and do stuff and not just be a homebody. Whenever I come back to the US I get this down mood and just wanting to go back. I don't hate the US after being in DR, but I now I just find things funny when people complain about things that just seem trivial to me now. I know 24/7electricity and other amenities are common to Americans, but it just makes me chuckle from time to time. I would love to be able to have certain foods, drinks and other stuff from the US. But I just make do with what I have or find the Dominican version of it I guess. I think it was on these forums I read a story of their dominican spouse not being able te bear more than 3 months at a time in the DR and wanting to return back to normal life in the US, but once they're back, they're itching to return to the DR. I told this to my Dad who's thinking of going long term and he doesn't believe that'll happen. He hasn't been in the DR (his own birth country) more than 3 weeks at a time in 28 years.

T

the gorgon

Hermanos Villar is air conditioned. stop in for a few frozen lemonades and get nice and chilly..

E

El Rey de Mangu

Sad, but I guess this is a good a place to dump this since someone did the work of creating the thread.

I came here when I was 33, thought I was going to do consulting and real estate (never heard that before). I didn't know much about the place other than from what my gf (Dominican, met in NY) told me about from what she remembered from being a kid and being sent to DR for school summer vacations.

We moved to SDE, this was end 2003. Wow, what a horrific place at that time (well I still wouldn't go back). I worked for a while, got lucky, made some contacts, but spent the money on a fancy apartment and booze. After that relationship broke, I floundered for years, married, divorced and moved to the North Coast. Income had ups and downs, shacked up with young Dominican gals, living a life of palm trees and pUt--. Well that burns out fast. Police and fiscalia incidents because of your involvement with folks you shouldn't be involved with. Drama for years.

No women anymore (well, like that). Kids and just trying to work to pay the bills. 15 years later. Can't drink because all the money goes and things spiral quickly to problems that I can no longer fix.

I guess if I had "money" I would be in Switzerland. I worked there for some time out of college. I probably wouldn't elect to come back here, but this is where I am at and I am grateful for my kids and this day.