Ex-Pat Fatigue

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Found this old thread....
it ties in with the CV exhaustion thread in my mind....some of us might be feeling a bit 'down' these days

here is the suggestion how avoid / minimize expat fatigue...

Don’t isolate yourself from your host culture and live in an expat bubble. You don’t have to throw yourself into your new country wholesale and try to turn yourself into a local. Having said that, some people do go native in this way – they are known as ‘adopters’ and are estimated to be about 10 percent of expats. While you might not want to be an adopter, bear in mind that people who reject the host culture tend to be the ones who have the most problems; and they can find it difficult to fit in when they return home, too. Around 30 percent of expats are referred to as ‘cosmopolitan’ – adopting the most congenial aspects of the host culture, whilst retaining significant elements of their own.

Ultimately, moving abroad is a learning experience, so treat it as such and make the most of it!

Sep 22, 2009
Found this old thread....
it ties in with the CV exhaustion thread in my mind....some of us might be feeling a bit 'down' these days

here is the suggestion how avoid / minimize expat fatigue...

Don’t isolate yourself from your host culture and live in an expat bubble. You don’t have to throw yourself into your new country wholesale and try to turn yourself into a local. Having said that, some people do go native in this way – they are known as ‘adopters’ and are estimated to be about 10 percent of expats. While you might not want to be an adopter, bear in mind that people who reject the host culture tend to be the ones who have the most problems; and they can find it difficult to fit in when they return home, too. Around 30 percent of expats are referred to as ‘cosmopolitan’ – adopting the most congenial aspects of the host culture, whilst retaining significant elements of their own.

Ultimately, moving abroad is a learning experience, so treat it as such and make the most of it!
Says William "Donnie Brasco" Webster as he sits pool side with the morning Haloperidol/Barcelo IV drip.

Sep 22, 2009
I've been down so long - it looks like Up to me !!

Survival, my boy - survival
I do enjoy your posts. Sometimes. I know I need some new material, though ive run the IV poolside thing into the ground. What u got for me? Hey, I'm considering a return to your pueblo. Maybe you can introduce me to Marlon.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As the retired nurse that you are - I expect medical references !!

hahaha

Funny, we were talking about him today..... I do not know him
Of him = Yes.... personally = No

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
isn't it entertaining that the first guys to offer up a sermon about free cheese, and pulling one's self up by one's bootstraps, are the same guys who try to wreck your hustle when you are trying to do some good and make a dollar?
there is no substitute for getting informed help when it comes to major purchases. Like buying a car. Like selling everything and moving here. Like getting married on a vacation here.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Expat fatigue?
Kinda weird but I only get it
when spending time with grumpy
expats who, despite having more
money than most Dominicans who've
never left the island, always have something to complain about.
90% of my real friends down here
have never left island. Problem solved.
Home sick? Nope. Do I wish I my family
would visit? Absolutely but life's never
perfect.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
there is no substitute for getting informed help when it comes to major purchases. Like buying a car. Like selling everything and moving here. Like getting married on a vacation here.
When writing comment while using mobile,
I see three buttons below.
"Attach files"
"Post reply"
and
"Preview"
Now then...
If one of them said "Cancel"
none of you would be reading
this complaint. Sorry for the
off-topic rant but seriously, how
hard could it be?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
When writing comment while using mobile,
I see three buttons below.
"Attach files"
"Post reply"
and
"Preview"
Now then...
If one of them said "Cancel"
none of you would be reading
this complaint. Sorry for the
off-topic rant but seriously, how
hard could it be?
Especially with Virtual assistant Professor Google head of evaluations, data, how to repair, where is it located, how much is the value, when are they open, whats their verified rep., do they accept Indian copper head pennies?

Sep 22, 2009
Expat fatigue?
Kinda weird but I only get it
when spending time with grumpy
expats who, despite having more
money than most Dominicans who've
never left the island, always have something to complain about.
90% of my real friends down here
have never left island. Problem solved.
Home sick? Nope. Do I wish I my family
would visit? Absolutely but life's never
perfect.
I kind of agree. I left for a few months in 2006 to work a project back in NYC because I was starving here. Since back here again in 07, I haven't been on an airplane. I complain, I've always complained. I complained of the central park traffic on 84th East and the garbage, I complained about women being too unapproachable in Zurich, and I complain here. Folks complain because it's our egos trying to be right. A complaint is an attempt to be right because by default the object of our complaint is wrong and we are right.

I have no expat friends. I know of some expats, including some on this forum.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Especially with Virtual assistant Professor Google head of evaluations, data, how to repair, where is it located, how much is the value, when are they open, whats their verified rep., do they accept Indian copper head pennies?
Thanks for taking time out of your
hectic schedule to clarify. Still no "Cancel"
option. I do appreciate it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
After seven years I am exhausted by the constant hassles just to maintain the necessities.
If it was not for my wife running interference I would have left long ago.

Thing I miss most is clear water diving and my boat. Spoiled from years of living in the Keys.
Coming in with fish and lobster in the cooler.
Always had the feeling that the DR does not like expats and makes life more difficult here.
Just as soon as this CV epidemic improves and the airlines begin flying we are off to Puerto Rico to look see.
Great diving, great visibility and even surf.
Puerto Rico honors your US concealed weapons permit, no limits on guns.
Close enough to the DR so my wife can quickly come and check up on the family.
I might even bring my Corvette over on the ferry when we visit.
Guess we will give the house to the kids as no way to sell it. At least we will have a nice place to stay on visits.
There have been the fun times to be sure but its time to look elsewhere.

Reactions: rfp and jstarebel
Sep 22, 2009
After seven years I am exhausted by the constant hassles just to maintain the necessities.
If it was not for my wife running interference I would have left long ago.

Thing I miss most is clear water diving and my boat. Spoiled from years of living in the Keys.
Coming in with fish and lobster in the cooler.
Always had the feeling that the DR does not like expats and makes life more difficult here.
Just as soon as this CV epidemic improves and the airlines begin flying we are off to Puerto Rico to look see.
Great diving, great visibility and even surf.
Puerto Rico honors your US concealed weapons permit, no limits on guns.
Close enough to the DR so my wife can quickly come and check up on the family.
I might even bring my Corvette over on the ferry when we visit.
Guess we will give the house to the kids as no way to sell it. At least we will have a nice place to stay on visits.
There have been the fun times to be sure but its time to look elsewhere.
thanks for the pic, Zoom!

vette1.png

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I think fatigue is quite subjective to say the least.... As individuals we all handle our environment differently. Sometimes another person will suggest a flaw in life and we say'' ya, me too''.
But then it goes away.
I have spent a decade living in the sub-arctic all in isolated communities . I couldn't wait for a flip out so I could indulge in a restaurant and fine wine.
While in the Military I spent three years in an isolation post..... very isolated to say the least,,,,
Isolation fatigue crept in.
But here in the DR, I have everything I want or need ; the thought that there are no flights out concerned me at first, not now.
So here I sit under the big mango tree waiting for the fruit to grow and ripen.... drinking whatever the drink of the day is.

Nice ocean breeze and cows lulling away in the meadow next door.
Other than that I spend idle times when I get anxious; upgrading the place.......

Fatigue.... no!
Frustration ... at times, YES!

Want to get out and return to Canada.... no!

Want another slush ice cooled beer .... yes!

Hope I am not off topic.

I woke up this morning again, not dead.
You all have a good evening.
Chill and enjoy.
Paradise is not lost.
Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think fatigue is quite subjective to say the least.... As individuals we all handle our environment differently. Sometimes another person will suggest a flaw in life and we say'' ya, me too''.
But then it goes away.
I have spent a decade living in the sub-arctic all in isolated communities . I couldn't wait for a flip out so I could indulge in a restaurant and fine wine.
While in the Military I spent three years in an isolation post..... very isolated to say the least,,,,
Isolation fatigue crept in.
But here in the DR, I have everything I want or need ; the thought that there are no flights out concerned me at first, not now.
So here I sit under the big mango tree waiting for the fruit to grow and ripen.... drinking whatever the drink of the day is.

Nice ocean breeze and cows lulling away in the meadow next door.
Other than that I spend idle times when I get anxious; upgrading the place.......

Fatigue.... no!
Frustration ... at times, YES!

Want to get out and return to Canada.... no!

Want another slush ice cooled beer .... yes!

Hope I am not off topic.

I woke up this morning again, not dead.
You all have a good evening.
Chill and enjoy.
Paradise is not lost.
Russell
Were you a Rubberhead( Comm research) ? My older brother was, 2 years in Inuvik, 4 years in Carp, with three vacations in Alert, and a posting to the Embassy in Poland.