Ex-pats (3 or more years in the DR), any change of heart?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I have been here for 9+ years and still love it. As far as crime never had a problem in fact I lost my wallet two times and both times it was returned to me try that in another country.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Ive lived here for 3 years and do I want to move away from here? YES!!!

Dont get me wrong, I loved this country when I moved here and still did up until recently. But after having a baby here, I worry constantly about how dangerous life is here and the worry has made me want to move away from here.

Also, missing my 'home' and family and home comforts play a big role too.

Reactions: rio2003

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This brings up a serious question... at least for me.

Do they have cremation here? Yes? Where?
The funerals here put them in the ground quite quickly.. its hot!!

What will I do when/if I die here?
I have no trouble staying here... just how to handle it.
Funeral pyre an option??

"yust wrap me up in dus flagge and flott me out to da sea"
My old Viking friend always said this

Not so bad, huh?

So, new thread..... DEATH IN PARAISO

Who's going first ??

WW

I always told mi esposa to just put me outside with the rest of the garbage, in case of my death (now, as I am a weed, and everybody knows it is impossible to kill weeds... lol)

In Europe she would have to sort me through the garbage, and even then it would cost her a fortune to have me disposed of, by buying all those green bags from the government for ecological waste...

Here she can dump me on the trash-heap early friday morning, and wouldn't even have to bother with a plastic bag... and I would leave this world in the way I have lived my life... being good to animals... I'm sure the vira lata would have a feast on me...:bunny:

Reactions: MikeFisher

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I asked my wife that if I pass way here in the State to take my ash and go to the very top of "El Monumento" in Satiago and spread it around but she don't wanna do so for this reason I need to make sure the day the death come for me I will be there.

JJ

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I asked my wife that if I pass way here in the State to take my ash and go to the very top of "El Monumento" in Satiago and spread it around but she don't wanna do so for this reason I need to make sure the day the death come for me I will be there.

JJ

Do you have a date set yet.....lol

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
It just so happens that my lawyer happened to mention to me last week that you can only be cremated in SD or Santiago but that not many do because it is very expensive.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We are going into our 5th year here. We came with a 10 year plan and every year we extend our "contract" for another 10 years. I am not saying that one day we might want to leave, for where who knows, but right now we are perfectly happy here.

Bob K

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
william webster said:
Thank you. Pto Plata, I assume ?

Unfortunately, it may imply a short hop to Santiago for the deceased... See granca's post above:
It just so happens that my lawyer happened to mention to me last week that you can only be cremated in SD or Santiago but that not many do because it is very expensive.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What a moral uplifting topic this thread has turned into. In a glooming raining week like this, santo domingo is drowning and streets are flooding which would make china's flooding look like kiddy bathtub and we are talking about cremation or disposed in some green biological degradable bags? What is wrong with you people? Unlike many other senior citizens, I didn't come here to be burnt over fire and have my ashes spread all over the broke-back mountain. I am here to live a new life, stress-free and without the first-world problems.
I am planning on living a long healthy and pleasurable life.
AZB

Save it bushbaby, I do see the humor in the previous posts. So read mine with a smile as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia. Its my (family) home and I would like to be buried next to my parent's grave.
AZB

We will all remember that and try to see to your wishes.

If transporting your body becomes too much of a legal hassle .... cremation... and we can ship you like coffee......
Seriously, extricating a body from a country can be difficult.

WW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
We will all remember that and try to see to your wishes.

If transporting your body becomes too much of a legal hassle .... cremation... and we can ship you like coffee......
Seriously, extricating a body from a country can be difficult.

WW

Thanks for the concern, but I am not planning on dying for the next 30 yrs. If in case of an unfortunate end to my existence in this country, I am sure my family will be here on the next plane to take me away.
Now lets talk about living here as opposed to dying here.
AZB

Jan 3, 2003
Ive lived here for 3 years and do I want to move away from here? YES!!! Also, missing my 'home' and family and home comforts play a big role too.

So far only one nay. I thought with the wave of crimes against ex-pats, there would be more nays. I guess you guys don't perceive the situation as dire as I thought you would.

Same here.

After more years here than I care to remember, I have considered checking out Colombia as well.

An exploratory trip is in the works in the near future.

What is it about Colombia that entices you?