Ex pats are just as likely to let you down as any native!

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Wow...glad the original post wasn't about anything complicated 'cos this one's burning my poor expat brain! Being a 'native' Brit I would be well pleased if someone thought I was a 'native' Dominican...never gonna happen in my lifetime though with my sh*t spannish :( (note to self...get your a*s into gear and get some proper lessons NOW)

Oh, and Yes...the only person to try to rip me off big time was an expat Brit!!!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ok I asked ALL of my spouses family about the word "native" (ok it was a slow day for me) and basically what they said was (translated in english) that they are proud to be called "natives". My father in-law said he is a "native Dominican", this is his "native land". He is from here. Now this is him speaking not me.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think someone is ashamed of their own heritage and wants to blame it on others. Why I dunno, possibly his education, going by the reasoning behind his BS on here.
I'm past this but hell, I hope I never need to share a beer in a bar with this guy, that chip on his shoulder is big enough to overshadow any wonderful day I might be having. Damn, some people are just happy to be morbid and miserable ah!
Glad he isn't a victim of the natives other side of the border, can you imagine his grief if that was the case, geeesh!!

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Ok I asked ALL of my spouses family about the word "native" (ok it was a slow day for me) and basically what they said was (translated in english) that they are proud to be called "natives". My father in-law said he is a "native Dominican", this is his "native land". He is from here. Now this is him speaking not me.
This kind of reply ( from your father inlaw ) is what one would expect from a reasonable person, In my whole life and all my travel I've never had the term "native " viewed as negative.