Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No idea, just some development company. You know how everything goes here, top secret, zero disclosure, no press releases… thus all the rumors. I still can’t believe they literally knocked down half of that mountain….
While on vacation I recently took a vacation up to Sosua.
Noticed a ton of new construction happening coming from
Montellano over to El Batey. Half the mountain is gone but
I didn't see any equipment at or near the site.

Allyn Bishop

Jun 14, 2023
Milkyway
Will it end up just being a parking lot for the beach?
With the rumor that they will be building a pedestrian bridge over the road right there, a parking lot makes sense.

This was mentioned and predicted going back to early posts in the thread, posts #16 and #24. There was not a lot of support for the ideas even though it's as or more likely than most other options or suggestions. It appears to be a high level project with the lack of normal permits and the speed it was started. It's certainly not some poor local or beach bar owner type of tourist responsible for and funding it.

The timing also suggests that it is somehow connected to the beach development or meant to take advantage of it and the expected large groups of weekend visitors from Santiago and other reasonably close locales.

What else could it be? ;)

Reactions: cavok

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
imo, no self respecting Dominican Businessman is going to spend that kind of Money, brining in all that Heavy equioment for a Parking lot .
Even if it were a Pay Lot . Sosua is not NYC where then can get $30 plus a day for parking.
So that makes no sense at all, especially in view of the fact that they Cut down some trees which were protected ?
Whoever is doing it has Big Plans and deep connections and even deeper pockets .

Reactions: XQT

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
This was mentioned and predicted going back to early posts in the thread, posts #16 and #24. There was not a lot of support for the ideas even though it's as or more likely than most other options or suggestions. It appears to be a high level project with the lack of normal permits and the speed it was started. It's certainly not some poor local or beach bar owner type of tourist responsible for and funding it.

The timing also suggests that it is somehow connected to the beach development or meant to take advantage of it and the expected large groups of weekend visitors from Santiago and other reasonably close locales.

What else could it be? ;)
This thread was started on July 5 2022
Looking at "progress" on this project gives you an idea what one is dealing with.

A Dominican project just like the beach improvement, zero urgency just talk.
If a pedestrian path continues to the beach will depend on the beach land owner.
They may not want hordes of people traversing their property,
Disturbing owners in their condos.

There may well be only an entrance in Charamicos and Sosua to the beach.
Peoples opinions and "support has zero bearing on what the land owner will do.
He will negotiate with the government on what his project entails, if permits are needed and payments need to be made.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If a pedestrian path continues to the beach will depend on the beach land owner.
The rumored pedestrian bridge would go over the road to the parcel that the government owns and is developing.

I'd be willing to bet that the present stairs that go down to the beach through private property will be closed.

Allyn Bishop

Jun 14, 2023
Milkyway
I suspect that it could be some condos...apartment style. How many buildings remains to be seen. How many floors I have no idea but I would guess more than the local normal standard of 3 or so. I would not be shocked to see 5-8 floors, something more like by The Waterfront but more elaborate. The views would be incredible.

Reactions: jd426

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I suspect that it could be some condos...apartment style. How many buildings remains to be seen. How many floors I have no idea but I would guess more than the local normal standard of 3 or so. I would not be shocked to see 5-8 floors, something more like by The Waterfront but more elaborate. The views would be incredible.
Its all about the VIEW of Sosua Bay , exactly .. Some of us said that since they broke ground .. its a perfect View .. why on earth build a Parking lot ? no way .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Its all about the VIEW of Sosua Bay , exactly .. Some of us said that since they broke ground .. its a perfect View .. why on earth build a Parking lot ? no way .
The view of the bay is nice. Looking out your bedroom window at a scarred hillside isn't though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK, it probably won't be a parking like . The Pastoriza's (sp?) will probably build condos.
More condos on the north coast are currently "the thing" and those so close to the beach will be a bigger "thing".
They are certainly moving slowly. Probably waiting until the shacks are cleared.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
OK, it probably won't be a parking like . The Pastoriza's (sp?) will probably build condos.
More condos on the north coast are currently "the thing" and those so close to the beach will be a bigger "thing".
They are certainly moving slowly. Probably waiting until the shacks are cleared.
The land is not owned by "The Pastoriza's".... According to some "well informed people.."it belongs to a family of someone close to the president and part to somebody close to the former mayor of Sosua..... :cautious:
:cautious:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The rumored pedestrian bridge would go over the road to the parcel that the government owns and is developing.

I'd be willing to bet that the present stairs that go down to the beach through private property will be closed.
Which parcel does the government own on the south side of the main highway and is developing?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The land is not owned by "The Pastoriza's".... According to some "well informed people.."it belongs to a family of someone close to the president and part to somebody close to the former mayor of Sosua..... :cautious:
:cautious:
OK. I just wondered what they plan to do with it. Only time will tell no matter who owns it.

Earlier on in time it was mentioned that one family owned the land on both sides of the main road from where the illegal casitas for years are that will be removed all the way up the hill.

That was probably an incorrect statement if what you say is correct.