Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This is how to kill the DR for those who came to live here.
I guess the Politicos win with bulging pockets of pesos.
But if they want that sterile version of beaches they will have to give a few locals discount entry passes, grace them with a few crumbs to keep them 'happy'.
But unrest happens when you take away recreation places for the poor to escape.

The DR is showing its real racist roots ( at least it is economic racism )

Reactions: ramesses and jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is how to kill the DR for those who came to live here.
I guess the Politicos win with bulging pockets of pesos.
But if they want that sterile version of beaches they will have to give a few locals discount entry passes, grace them with a few crumbs to keep them 'happy'.
But unrest happens when you take away recreation places for the poor to escape.

The DR is showing its real racist roots ( at least it is economic racism )
For those being denied access while walking along one stretch of beach onto another, those blockages are completely and totally illegal.
If they do it, they are getting away with it because nobody cares enough to challenge them.

As for killing off the DR for those of us that live here, do you mean the planned renovations to Sosua beach do that as well?

Reactions: AlaPlaya

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
For those being denied access while walking along one stretch of beach onto another, those blockages are completely and totally illegal.
If they do it, they are getting away with it because nobody cares enough to challenge them.

As for killing off the DR for those of us that live here, do you mean the planned renovations to Sosua beach do that as well?
Sure if one has to pay to enter the beach and a beer will cost 400 pesos, that definitely kills off some of the trill for locals who made this their new home.
What's next - charging to drive into Encuentro Beach too ?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That ain't right.

Agreed. Public beach is public beach.

There is an gov't office (assuming it still exists) that determines public beach access thru private land when someone is developing up against a 60 mtr setback. They look at everything and decide if a public access path is needed or not. It probably depends on current public use of that particular beach, proximity of other public beaches, other access points, etc. But then over passage of time, things get ignored, nobody challenges them, and a resort/hotel/condo will leave the path unmaintained and start denying access on the beach itself.

I'm guessing that doesn't happen at Sosua Beach. It's too popular of a beach. Although I do see public usage changing dramatically. Sundays ain't going to be what it used to be.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Years ago there was similar kerfuffle at Palya Grande beach.

They wanted to reduce the number of vendors and move them to the east end (where they are now)

As I remember , it was Boykin Curry who orchestrated it.
They paid the leaving vendors ~$15,000 and moved the rest...... nobody was very happy about their 'new world'.

A few months later, I asked how they were doing ------ Never done better.

Still strong today and the Playa Grande Beach Club shares the beach .

One caveat - the Beach Club discourages reservations during Semana Santa..... a bit chaotic

Sooo, it can be done - a refurb is possible with good results

Reactions: windeguy and ctrob

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Private property indeed.
It will certainly allow them to discriminate against those of you who do not past their smell
test so I guess you can get in where you fit in or get the ckuf out ;)

Playeros no tienen derechos de impedir transformación de Playa Sosúa, la ciudad quiere el proyecto.
FULL EPISODE BELOW:

I don't agree with much of what the guy from Detras del Rumor says. As I understand it with my less than perfect Spanish, he says that the existing vendors should just shut up and accept whatever they are allowed. Those existing vendors are saying, as I understand it, that they object to not having sufficient information about what will happen - for example how many units will there be in the new beach plazas, how large will the units be, and how much will they have to pay.

Again, if I understand correctly he also seems to be saying that the new land clearance on the other side of the road will be for a plaza for beach vendors. If that is the case it will be much too far from the beach itself.

If my language deficiency means I have misunderstood any of this, I am happy to be corrected.

Reactions: cavok

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
At 9;00 minutes in Danny mentions Sosua beach and predicts privatization for Sosua as well.
He might also finally understand he does not have a business there for long as reality hits home for his Malibu Beach Bar on Sosua Beach.

My question is how are the hotels in Bayahibe blocking access to public beaches and getting away with it?

If the mods want to make a separate thread about this, please do. But the question is how does Hilton (and others in Bayahibe shown in this video) get away with keeping people off a public beach within the 60 meter mark when they can access that part of the beach from another section of the beach?

Go Directly to 9:02, ( for those interested in the Sosua comparison , not directed at you Windy)
that is where he is finally admitting what is about to happen on Playa Sosua ..

I Really LIKE this Guys Videos ,, even though I think he needs to give his Liver a Rest ( side topic)...

But his Content is EXCELLENT ... just extremely Misinformed , when it comes to his Home Turf, Playa Sosua ...

It seems when he TRAVELS to other places on the Island , his Mind finally opens up to Reality .

Reactions: windeguy

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sure if one has to pay to enter the beach and a beer will cost 400 pesos, that definitely kills off some of the trill for locals who made this their new home.
What's next - charging to drive into Encuentro Beach too ?
I agree with you guys 100% on Principle ..

but , is the 89 Pesos for a DAY WRIST BAND for the beach ?
( please tell me this is not DOLLARS / lmfao)
the Wrist band and the guy putting it on COSTS that much .
Personally I dont have a problem Paying the 89 Pesos , to keep the other Riff Raff OUT ..
You are walking into a Nicer , and somewhat Protected Environment.
I am assuming only certain Vendors are also allowed in ?

Sandu

Jan 6, 2018
reminds me on many places in florida.....might be glad i did not purchase a place in sosua....could be my last time here depending on the finished beach...already paid for plane ticket and condo....love the beach just the way it was

DannyMalibu

Jun 13, 2022
Sosua
Go Directly to 9:02, ( for those interested in the Sosua comparison , not directed at you Windy)
that is where he is finally admitting what is about to happen on Playa Sosua ..

I Really LIKE this Guys Videos ,, even though I think he needs to give his Liver a Rest ( side topic)...

But his Content is EXCELLENT ... just extremely Misinformed , when it comes to his Home Turf, Playa Sosua ...

It seems when he TRAVELS to other places on the Island , his Mind finally opens up to Reality .
Thank you :)

As for Playa Sosua, none of us know exactly what is planned. My view point shifts on a daily basis. At one point it appeared that the Beach Association had reached an agreement with the government to keep most of the casitas. The day after that meeting all of the casitas were renumbered and a new census of operational businesses was taken. - this seemed to indicate good news for those of us operating businesses.

Then the President arrived and delivered another speech in the beach parking lot. Heavy security with lots of important looking Dominicans in white shirts and slacks. The speech was short and he didn’t hang around to shake any hands. The next day the new plaza schematics were leaked. When I reviewed them it became very apparent to me that there wouldn’t be any casitas sharing the beach with them. Why would you build that type of plaza and have it over look the back of old run down beach casitas?

My best guess as of today ( this might change tomorrow ) is that the cruise ship companies are getting at least one of the plazas. Passenger drop off, pick up, food, beverages, chairs and umbrellas - all billed directly to your cabin.

It was fun while it lasted.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At 9;00 minutes in Danny mentions Sosua beach and predicts privatization for Sosua as well.
He might also finally understand he does not have a business there for long as reality hits home for his Malibu Beach Bar on Sosua Beach.

My question is how are the hotels in Bayahibe blocking access to public beaches and getting away with it?
If you have enough money and the right connections you can do whatever you like in this country. Yes, this is starting to change however "change" in the Dominican Republic never happens over night.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

As for Playa Sosua, none of us know exactly what is planned. My view point shifts on a daily basis. At one point it appeared that the Beach Association had reached an agreement with the government to keep most of the casitas. The day after that meeting all of the casitas were renumbered and a new census of operational businesses was taken. - this seemed to indicate good news for those of us operating businesses.

Then the President arrived and delivered another speech in the beach parking lot. Heavy security with lots of important looking Dominicans in white shirts and slacks. The speech was short and he didn’t hang around to shake any hands. The next day the new plaza schematics were leaked. When I reviewed them it became very apparent to me that there wouldn’t be any casitas sharing the beach with them. Why would you build that type of plaza and have it over look the back of old run down beach casitas?

My best guess as of today ( this might change tomorrow ) is that the cruise ship companies are getting at least one of the plazas. Passenger drop off, pick up, food, beverages, chairs and umbrellas - all billed directly to your cabin.

Thank you for Coming aboard this Forum and giving us first Hand info.. I hope you post a lot more often . You are exactly the type of person this Board needs more of , and I think it can help get you more Subs on your Channel as well .

As to the Cruise ships , please see my earlier post #59 .. I feel exactly the same way .
No one else would have such Deep Pockets , and be so far ahead of their time , (before any of he Casitas are even knocked down, as you said they would obscure the view ) so these people obviously are very deep in the Know and have the connections
. they at least are pretty sure about what is happening next .

Wishing you all the Best at Your bar .. I for one will be sure to stop in next time I am down for some Cocktails and perhaps some Convo .
your Novia / Esposa is delightful btw .

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't agree with much of what the guy from Detras del Rumor says. As I understand it with my less than perfect Spanish, he says that the existing vendors should just shut up and accept whatever they are allowed. Those existing vendors are saying, as I understand it, that they object to not having sufficient information about what will happen - for example how many units will there be in the new beach plazas, how large will the units be, and how much will they have to pay.

Again, if I understand correctly he also seems to be saying that the new land clearance on the other side of the road will be for a plaza for beach vendors. If that is the case it will be much too far from the beach itself.

If my language deficiency means I have misunderstood any of this, I am happy to be corrected.

What I see that has happened is the beach vendors have realized most of them will be gone. That will certainly upset them.

Fabio essentially said they have no rights to stop the changes that will benefit Sosua for the sake of their special interests. Not to object or block the changes as they are trying to do by stopping the work. He called the actions of the beach association a fault of respect for the POTDR and Director of Tourism. Fabio strongly feels these changes are for the good of Sosua.

My Spanish isn't perfect either, so I may have missed some details as well.

I expect the beach vendors will be forcibly silenced in the near future. How soon? That depends upon how fast the government responds to having their plans halted.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Hi Danny. Reality has indeed hit home .

I never saw this as happening any other way with respect to any of the beach vendors being allowed to stay as is. No matter "how nice" their place was.

Who does get some of the spaces is still a guessing game. Cruise ship companies to get one? As good a guess as any.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A higher tax base/collection is another area many people seem to be overlooking.
It's no secret this Administration is a huge proponent of increased taxes,
closing loopholes (minus the bancas of course) and collecting more government
revenue from both the formal and informal economies.

I think Luis has much more planned for the North Coast and Sosua is just the tip
of the iceberg. From an investor's point of view, tackling the worst and most obviously
problems like the eyesore Sosua has allowed itself to become, is a very smart move.
I would not be surprised to see them move to eliminate the "night life" the town has
become so well-known for once this beach redevelopment is complete... once and for all.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Agreed. Public beach is public beach.

There is an gov't office (assuming it still exists) that determines public beach access thru private land when someone is developing up against a 60 mtr setback. They look at everything and decide if a public access path is needed or not. It probably depends on current public use of that particular beach, proximity of other public beaches, other access points, etc. But then over passage of time, things get ignored, nobody challenges them, and a resort/hotel/condo will leave the path unmaintained and start denying access on the beach itself.

I'm guessing that doesn't happen at Sosua Beach. It's too popular of a beach. Although I do see public usage changing dramatically. Sundays ain't going to be what it used to be.
And that's the saddest part.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Think maybe some of the "preferred" Puerto Plata Malecón vendors might get a 'grant' of a preferred space.
Maybe the same vendor that now has all the taxis from the cruise ships dumping them in front of his beach side casita to buy those over priced lunches?
We are all like blinking eyes in the train tunnel - yeah you can hear the rails humming.
We mean nothing - You get out of the way or run down.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
In his first speech in the parking lot El Presidente specifically said that beach access would remain open to the public,just sayin'.....If I can't walk the entire beach because some or most of it is blocked off in some way I don't care,I only need enough room for a chair,an umbrella and my fat a$$. Once I'm in the water it's all good I can swim wherever I want to,I swim that beach 3 or 4 times a week and will continue to do so.