Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The so called sterile Sosua has been desired by the DR government for many years.
Anyone following developments and attempted developments in Sosua realizes this.
And that is what that is.

Let us see if work proceeds as well on other areas that were being blocked by the association this coming week, of if those members need some persuasion from government officials to get out of the way.
Did I miss something? What other area was being blocked?

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Did I miss something? What other area was being blocked?
I have no idea exactly where or how. Those are two reasons I ask the question. Are they starting to take down any casitas?
I can find nothing on the currently more relevant sites about Sosua.

I know there was work being done on near the western entrance ( the Caribe Tours end of the beach), but the Detras Del Rumor video does not mention exactly where the beach association people were preventing work to be done.

Why would the beach association care at all about the work on the clearing of the hill that has no direct impact on their businesses being removed?
As others pointed out, they are likely only to work on this during the week and remove the machines unless they want to post 24/7 watchman to prevent vandalism.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have no idea exactly where or how. Those are two reasons I ask the question. Are they starting to take down any casitas?

I know there was work being done on near the western entrance ( the Caribe Tours end of the beach), but the Detras Del Rumor video does not mention exactly where the beach association people were preventing work to be done.

Why would the beach association care at all about the work on the clearing of the hill that has no direct impact on their businesses being removed?
As others pointed out, they are likely only to work on this during the week and remove the machines unless they want to post 24/7 watchman to prevent vandalism.
I was on Sosua beach on Friday. Business absolutely as usual - so far.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

There has been no shortage of folks here speculating that somehow the two projects are connected.

I've never gotten that impression so I was wondering why would the machines be vandalized?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
There has been no shortage of folks here speculating that somehow the two projects are connected.

I've never gotten that impression so I was wondering why would the machines be vandalized?
Now, I live on EASTSIDE!! and so I am not in touch with the day to day affairs of the North Coast.
But I have the same question...has anyone made a connection between these two projects that involves something other than their opinion?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

The original plan way back was for condo/hotel towers on the beach side of 5 and some pricey villas on the hill side. The Pastoriza family owned both sides of rt 5. Of course a lot can change in a decade plus. But I think once they started the actual site planning recently they decided putting parking on the hill side was a good idea. The parking could be for both beach goers and the condo/hotel development. That would free up much needed space on the beach side.

Sosua Beach (the sandy part) being as public and well used as it is, they have to know there is going to be a ton of foot traffic going to and from the sand. By putting in parking and organized paths (if thats what they're doing) they can control the foot traffic and keep people out of the condo/hotel areas. So I think it's still connected to the beach side project. That's just my experienced guesstimate.

Reactions: windeguy and jd426

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Wouldn't a foot bridge provide safer passage from the speculated parking lot over to the beach?
Traffic on route 5 on Sundays is already a goat (insert inappropriate language of your choice here).
Hundreds of people in route crossing on the surface street would just increase problems and create a safety hazard.

Reactions: ramesses

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The original plan way back was for condo/hotel towers on the beach side of 5 and some pricey villas on the hill side. The Pastoriza family owned both sides of rt 5. Of course a lot can change in a decade plus. But I think once they started the actual site planning recently they decided putting parking on the hill side was a good idea. The parking could be for both beach goers and the condo/hotel development. That would free up much needed space on the beach side.

Sosua Beach (the sandy part) being as public and well used as it is, they have to know there is going to be a ton of foot traffic going to and from the sand. By putting in parking and organized paths (if thats what they're doing) they can control the foot traffic and keep people out of the condo/hotel areas. So I think it's still connected to the beach side project. That's just my experienced guesstimate.
If that were the case, why is the excavation all the way at the west end of the beach area?

Reactions: ramesses

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It seems to me that the logical place to have access would be at either end of the beach since that's where the plazas will be. There is also a rumor that a foot bridge will be built across the road where the excavation site is.

Which also negates the need for the Playa Media path. I wouldn't want that going thru the middle of my new big dollar project.

Reactions: jd426

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016

Western entrance work might be a church project. I drove by Friday and that area, now fenced with corrugated metal, had a sign above it with church info, and an existing church in back, possibly church expanding or renovating?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Western entrance work might be a church project. I drove by Friday and that area, now fenced with corrugated metal, had a sign above it with church info, and an existing church in back, possibly church expanding or renovating?
There's been some very good fotos of the excavation site posted. I never saw any old church there(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Where's the church?

Attachments

• 1658078442751.png
    1658078442751.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'll check later, but I have no doubt the vendors have concerns. They're finally starting to wake up.
The vendors will have to negotiate, they might be relocated to a different beach or a different area of the city.
I've seen this happened before, example "El Monumento" Santiago, when I was young Area Monumental was packed of vendors...Food trucks or "Drink truck" everywhere some them used to have friendly Chicas...
One day the city major said, no more.
They fought for months until they agreed to be relocated on Av. Circunvalación what soon became to be the popular "El Riocon".
Few years later the residents of near neighborhoods started complaining about noise and prostitution... Finally most vendors went on bankruptcy and closed doors.
Only one remains in service today, AMARRAY he went back to zona Monumental right beside La Braza Carnes but this time in a prive owned land.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The vendors will have to negotiate, they might be relocated to a different beach or a different area of the city.
I've seen this happened before, example "El Monumento" Santiago, when I was young Area Monumental was packed of vendors...Food trucks or "Drink truck" everywhere some them used to have friendly Chicas...
One day the city major said, no more.
They fought for months until they agreed to be relocated on Av. Circunvalación what soon became to be the popular "El Riocon".
Few years later the residents of near neighborhoods started complaining about noise and prostitution... Finally most vendors went on bankruptcy and closed doors.
Only one remains in service today, AMARRAY he went back to zona Monumental right beside La Braza Carnes but this time in a prive owned land.

JJ
The vendors have had about four meetings already where they supposedly "negotiated" and supposedly are going to get spots in the new plaza. Do they really have any negotiating leverage left at this point?

• Wow
Reactions: bachata