Excavation on Hill in Sosúa

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
When down, start looking for a new place to visit. Unless you like concrete.

Go out past Puerto Plata, past Cofresi, past Amber Cove. You'll see a small gas station, take that road to the right down the coast towards the village of Guzmancito. About 20 minutes from Rt 5 there will be a beach on your right side that is very similar to Sosua Beach. Vendor shacks, trashy, shallow dug latrines, busy on Sundays.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Go out past Puerto Plata, past Cofresi, past Amber Cove. You'll see a small gas station, take that road to the right down the coast towards the village of Guzmancito. About 20 minutes from Rt 5 there will be a beach on your right side that is very similar to Sosua Beach. Vendor shacks, trashy, shallow dug latrines, busy on Sundays.
Oh, I have found my new spot already but I will try your spot, I am sure it is nicer than you describe as that is the way many describe Sosua beach and I love that. Thanks but lets not get off topic.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I can't say what's in el Presidente's head or his motives, but you can have both. Helping to pave the way to bring in real paying jobs with real benefits, does improve standard of living/quality of life. Everybody wins in my book.
I agree.

Unfortunately this transition is going to ruin a lot of people's livelihoods as this project will not be finished in a month or two.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Are you talking about the small church that's in Charamicos behind the empty lot alongside CaribeTours?
Yes I think that’s the one. the existing church is set back from the Hwy a bit, I only saw the steeple above the metal fencing.

Reactions: cavok

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The vendors have had about four meetings already where they supposedly "negotiated" and supposedly are going to get spots in the new plaza. Do they really have any negotiating leverage left at this point?
Yes but the day of the final negotiation they will be asked to bring some cash that probably try hey won't have.

JJ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was at Caribe Tours recently I asked what the construction was immediately adjacent to their current run down office and waiting area and they said it would be the new Caribe Tours offices and waiting area. I have no idea if that is true.

There is a sign on that property with all the rebar going up that mentions it has something to do with the nearby church?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's why the government has already mentioned that there will be loans available to the vendors, but they already know and are well prepared for the fact that many won't qualify or be able to pay any loans.
There will be no loans and no place for cheap hot dog and French fry vendors.
It's the famous politicians' slight of hand perfected by the US 44th president and now being practiced with great skill by Abinader
Look at this shiny object in my right hand but you won't see what my dirty left hand is doing.
Sure hearing a lot of grumbling amongst the masses blaming Abinader for higher prices for things like electricity and food.
So beginning to think Abinader might be one and done long before Sosua Beach is a well heeled hangout - blocking the Hoi Polloi

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There will be no loans and no place for cheap hot dog and French fry vendors.
It's the famous politicians' slight of hand perfected by the US 44th president and now being practiced with great skill by Abinader
Look at this shiny object in my right hand but you won't see what my dirty left hand is doing.
Sure hearing a lot of grumbling amongst the masses blaming Abinader for higher prices for things like electricity and food.
So beginning to think Abinader might be one and done long before Sosua Beach is a well heeled hangout - blocking the Hoi Polloi
When you think about it...when did re-development of a property, anywhere in the universe, go downhill and not go Uphill,AKA "more elite, more upscale, more expensive"? Funny how that always works the same way no matter how many twists and turns the developers take.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nothing new here at all? Did the "Beach Association" succeed in preventing the changes?

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
If this is such an important issue, and it seemed to be, and is to many, by past posts, it's interesting that no one that lives in and around Sosua, including, it seems, the "media" has bothered to make any recent updates.

If I were in the area I'd be all over it, and it would take minimal effort, but I'm not and won't be... There are so many other options, better on most points, but I still love the beach as it was...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If this is such an important issue, and it seemed to be, and is to many, by past posts, it's interesting that no one that lives in and around Sosua, including, it seems, the "media" has bothered to make any recent updates.

If I were in the area I'd be all over it, and it would take minimal effort, but I'm not and won't be... There are so many other options, better on most points, but I still love the beach as it was...
There has been no work there for 3 weeks. Not sure the reason