Exchange rate question

R

rockero

Am new here heard before I think in early 2001 it was like 50 to the dollar and I think before like 26,,Seems stable in DR near 34 to 36 more or less..AM I Right on that??

Mar 2, 2008
Sounds about right to me.

During Hippolito's time, the rate fluctuated much more erratically, up to 55 pesos to a dollar, at one point.

It's been fairly stable for approximately 6-8 years now.

There has been a slow but steady increase in the relative value of the dollar and the euro, during the past year or so, but no more than 2-3 pesos.

The central bank does a pretty good job of helping to maintain a stable rate of exchange, in my opinion.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Rockero,
here on this thread we usually do not discuss, it is just to announce the daily actual exchange rates for the US$ compared to the dominican peso.
to discuss about currencies and such you have to open a new thread, best on the "economy section" of the bord.
Mike

R

rockero

OK Thanks I did not know on that but either way it seems the peso stays near 35 all the time...
hi Rockero,
here on this thread we usually do not discuss, it is just to announce the daily actual exchange rates for the US$ compared to the dominican peso.
to discuss about currencies and such you have to open a new thread, best on the "economy section" of the bord.
Mike

R

rockero

Ok this sounds fun,,Lets keep it going this way,,Hopefully though the peso still stays stable for awhile here compared the way the dollar is falling everywhere else,,Gee Hope I* can come to Dr with the Euro or Pound for sure...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Chiri is quicker in moving the stuff than someone could recommend to do so, ha ha.
thanks.

yes Rockero,
the exchange rate between the US$ and the Dominican Peso moved very little upwards in a long time period now, you can count that as very stable.
of course there is 'artificial' stability from the gubmin side involved, but in a needed way IMO.
if compared to other currencies there are up's and down's.
take the Euro,
been and still is very strong over the US$ and for that also raised a lot in it's exchange rate to the dominican currency.
Mike

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the peso is always stable until you put your life savings in a dominican bank and then for some reason it always drops in value against the dollar...............it's like the banks are waiting to reel in enough suckers for the high % return and then when their pot is full they will pull out the rug...........

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I noticed today that after a steady inching upwards towards 36 the dollar exchange posted at BanReservas today is back to 35. Good news for Dominicans. Bad news for the gringos.
was 35.85 at exchange house,Franks,on el conde,SD this am...
bob

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the exchange rate between dollar and peso did not change.
just do not compare exchange rates of a bank like the mentioned banco de reservas to the exchange rates on the street. they have always exactly that shown difference.
and i wonder lately that there is no difference in the exchange rate while the GAS rate at the gas stations is running quickly towards historical tops again.
Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
was 35.85 at exchange house,Franks,on el conde,SD this am...
bob

It is now 35.95 and there is also a casa de cambio around the corner at 35.95.

La Nacional Bank is 35.75 and I saw a casa de cambio on avenida independencia at 35.00.

R

rockero

Is there anychance in the near future it could go up to 40 at all?????? Or with the dollar falling worldwide are we looking more of it dropping in to the 30 range then????

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
saturday high noon i changed a 1000$ for my buddies weekend trip to Laguna de Limon and Miches and Samana,
got 35.95 at Banca Barrican in El Cortecito.
what i realized on a transaction strong today been the euro against week dollar, darn, i had to buy euros on that transaction, hate that currency game.
the dollar is darn sure not weak compared to the dominican peso, lol.
forget about falling down to 30 or such in the near future.

Mike

R

rockero

YEH Mikey is it still lingering at 36? OK then it wont go down to 30 what about up to 40? I Doubt it,,Ok then 35 or 36 very stable here then..

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Artificial Exchange

Money laundering and drug money have helped the BC to maintain a relatively stable Peso in recent years, the influx of US$ is tremendous.

IMO the buying power of the RD$ is overvalued and the real exchange rate ought to be somewhere near 1:45-50.

Just try to buy a chewing gum with Dominican Pesos outside the country... :bunny: (Bronx and Washington Heights excluded...)

donP

R

rockero

That would be great if went up for our benefit a little bit more..

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Caribe Express have been changing at RD$ 36.85 to the dollar for over a week now.