Exit Fees still being paid in cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been seeing reports from people exiting various DR airports that people are still be allowed to pay exit fines for illegally overstaying a tourist card in cash.

I wonder how long they will be able to use cash? Some say forever....

Nov 9, 2023
SC
You should ask your government about that. Also ask them about the progress of the longer stay visa and the simplification of the residency process. I would be happy to use one of those when available.

Btw your topic header is wrong, these are not “exit fees” but “illegal overstay fines”.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Btw your topic header is wrong, these are not “exit fees” but “illegal overstay fines”.
Lol, thanks PB! Btw are there still warrants out for your arrest?
IMG_0108.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You should ask your government about that. Also ask them about the progress of the longer stay visa and the simplification of the residency process. I would be happy to use one of those when available.

I have been following the lack of news on a 6 month visitor visa. There is no progress and no discussion on that.
The government does not care about keeping the extra legal work around in place to pay an exit fine that was
put in place by the PLD. Oh well.

You are correct, the money is paid for overstaying a tourist card illegally and is indeed a fine for being illegal.
It is not a fee and it is not a tax. Some people must think they pay a fee when they overpark.. And so it goes.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You are correct, the money is paid for overstaying a tourist card illegally and is indeed a fine for being illegal.
It is not a fee and it is not a tax. Some people must think they pay a fee when they overpark
Accounting 101 you will learn that fees are to cover services rendered while a tax is revenue. While govts may not want to go though the efforts of providing services, the sure love to levy a tax!

All you had to do was read the receipt I posted.

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Many charge overstay fees and most are way more onerous that what the DR charges. Some will also deny re-entry if you overstay your tourist visa.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's what I figured. People are complaining when, my opinion, the fees are reasonable. One doesn't follow the rules one must pay the price.
The overstay fees are downright cheap IMO. I'm surprised the DR hasn't raised them when they see how much other countries are charging.

• Angry
Reactions: Jan and Gadfly

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The overstay fees are downright cheap IMO. I'm surprised the DR hasn't raised them when they see how much other countries are charging.
The Dominican Republic is a relatively cheap and hassle free travel destination.
I believe it is in this administration's best interest to keep it this way. In other words...
if it ain't broke, it don't need no fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.