Exodus in Cabarete?

moonzulu

Jun 16, 2007
Shots exchanged

Last night there was a bit of a gun battle within 100 meters of my house near Cabarete. At least two thieves, one armed with a shotgun and the other with a 9MM automatic, from the sound and pace of the shots, exchanged at least two shotgun blasts and between 16-20 9mm rounds with a homeowner while trying to rob a house nearby.

We stayed on the floor to avoid any stray rounds. The police were called but did not arrive for at least 1/2 hour. I believe that the homeowner started the shooting, and the thieves shot back; it was theorized by local security that they did so to prevent pursuit, they might have shot in the air. As far as I know, no one took a round. I imagine I might learn more in time, but maybe not. Facts are sometimes hard to come by.

The Cabarete area really is a lively place.

Last edited:

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Chris and Johne

I don't have the answer. I heard both 1/2 hour and 7am. Sure would be appropriate for Amber Guardian and/or the Condo Association to give us some answers!

botc115

Aug 8, 2005
caberete - orilla del mar

Could someone please let me know what happened and was anyone hurt.
Did the police arrive finally?
Was the crime actually in the court yard at orilla del mar.

We have a condo there and were wondering exactly what happened.

We won't be ther until 10/1.

Thanks for you help.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Oct 1???????????????????

Could someone please let me know what happened and was anyone hurt.
Did the police arrive finally?
Was the crime actually in the court yard at orilla del mar.

We have a condo there and were wondering exactly what happened.

We won't be ther until 10/1.

Thanks for you help.

Forgetaboutit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Could be history by then.
Only kidding--sleep tight nothing to worry about.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Orilla del Mar--A revenge armed attack Friday by 4 bandidos?

Please clarify Amber Guardian, Josephina Covents, and Condo Association. I was away during the attack. If true, this is most dangerous for all residents, Apparently, Polica did not respond!

moonzulu

Jun 16, 2007
moonzulu - are you east or west of Cabarete? seems east Cabarete is getting the lion's share of excitement these days...

I am west of Cabarete.

Regarding the incident, it appears that 1/ there were four men with at least one pistol, 2/ they tried to access a house and were discovered before entering, 3/ security guards from an unrelated assignment fired the two shotgun blasts, in addition to a local resident firing at least five rounds, and 4/ the men fired quite a few rounds -- up to fifteen -- in the air to discourage pursuit.

Tonight -- Sunday, 10:30 PM, about 1/2 hour ago -- I ran into a group of seven men stationed at a road entrance. Four of them were in a square, spread out formation around the entrance, and three were waiting in a van parked off to the side, motor running, driver at the wheel. It was likely the getaway team, so there may be, as I write, some members of the team wandering around this moonless night with some target in mind. I have darkened car windows, and rolled through slowly without stopping. I got some hard looks, but saw no weapons -- again, it is very dark out tonight. I then passed by a local developments, and the security guards who work there, and whom usually out in force, were entirely missing tonight. Maybe they were told to take the night off.

Many of the recent attacks appear to have taken place between Friday and Sunday nights. There were a couple of pistol shots fired in the neighborhood around 8:30 PM, but maybe just a homeowner practicing.

There is definitely a largish group behind many of the recent assaults.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Stumbled on this

It seems that Cabarete was the the "crime spree" centre 3 years ago.
Have the ladrones cleaned out Cabarete and moved west?
Is that why Sosua is now the crime capital of the DR?
Mack.

Mar 2, 2008
Cabarete has graciously responded to our request for all banditos to be sent here. The Cabarete community has been doing their part, along with many other fine cities and towns in the DR.

There seem to be a few hard-line holdouts, but we have been working with them in order to bring our dream to fruition. It's just a matter of time.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
There are problems in Cabarete also...

Don?t u follow the news? And many incidents in certain areas are not even reported because they want to sell their properties. "2 bedroom 2 baths, pool in calm area close to the beach 100 000 US" U go figure. Calm area is not a good word.

I love Cabarete, the sun wind and ocean and really hope it picks up again. More tourists, more people, more money in..makes it a much better safer place.

Btw, the article, almost all businesses are for sale, have always been and will always be. Hey if a loco that made big bucks comes in and desperately wants to buy something in paradise. Hey a for sale sign is not a bad idea ehhh

Last edited:

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
same coin...just different side :)

if you type cabrete on to a cd disc and play it backwards it says sosua!
at least that's what i'm expectin someone else will say so i thought i'd steal thier thunder :)

micha

Dec 26, 2009
Crime...better or worse, compared to 3 years ago...

I don't know about it being "The majority of posters" but I was ONE of the guilty ones up until 6 months/one year ago. I was quick to say that the 'happenings' were generally few & far between AND due to lack of sensible precautions by owners in the Sosua/Caberete area. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NO LONGER THE CASE!!!!

Robberies in our area of Puerto Plata are fortunately NOT the norm. I do not have a property I wish to sell & I don't intend moving unless I have to so an increase in my property value is of no monetary value to me. However, we are now looking at contingency plans in the event that this present wave of violent crime is not checked & it spills into the Puerto Plata suburbs!! Further, I am not singing the praises of the country to possible re-locators in the way that I used to & all are getting a very clear message that the country is under serious attack from drug needy criminals not too worried as to what they have to do to get their fixes!!

Come on Mr President .................. do what you promised to do in your inauguration speech & CRACK DOWN ON CRIME - NOW!!! Grahame.
Reality check, did things in terms of fighting crime improve or did it get worse...?

Mar 2, 2008
I think we are are all becoming somewhat immuned to crime and violence. After all, it is what we view on TV every day, and it is what we find exciting and provocative.

However, I also think we are becoming smarter and more protective. Furthermore, I believe the wave of crime and violence will increase in every country before it gets any better. The economic conditions around the world make it much more difficult for those who are marginally positioned to survive. That is simply a fact of life.

I wish things were different, but they are not. The DR is no different from any other location on the globe. We are in for some tough sledding for next few years, like it or not, and no matter where we are located.

micha

Dec 26, 2009
I think we are are all becoming somewhat immuned to crime and violence. After all, it is what we view on TV every day, and it is what we find exciting and provocative.

However, I also think we are becoming smarter and more protective. Furthermore, I believe the wave of crime and violence will increase in every country before it gets any better. The economic conditions around the world make it much more difficult for those who are marginally positioned to survive. That is simply a fact of life.

I wish things were different, but they are not. The DR is no different from any other location on the globe. We are in for some tough sledding for next few years, like it or not, and no matter where we are located.

Aren't the chances of getting robbed at gunpoint dramatically lower if you live in a well guarded community? In other words, if you have the means to afford that particular lifestyle (security guards replacing bars on windows and doors) you should be considerable safer....

Mar 2, 2008
There are many ways to improve personal safety, but no fool-proof method. There is also a point at which the measures taken provide diminishing returns.

In other words, there is no perfect solution to crime, and the more one becomes fixated with the possibility of crime the more the quality of one's life diminishes, in my estimation.

It's sensible to take certain protective measures, but at some point those measures tend to interfere with living a full and satisfying life.

Just my opinion.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There are many ways to improve personal safety, but no fool-proof method. There is also a point at which the measures taken provide diminishing returns.

In other words, there is no perfect solution to crime, and the more one becomes fixated with the possibility of crime the more the quality of one's life diminishes, in my estimation.

It's sensible to take certain protective measures, but at some point those measures tend to interfere with living a full and satisfying life.

Just my opinion.

I think the best way to stay safe is to have nothing or at least to be perceived as having nothing. That should stopped planned attacks, home invasions and the like.
The more visible security one has the more one is seen as being worth hitting. It is an arms race you will never win.

For the random stuff you have to be smart and/or lucky.
Scared looking people are more vulnerable.

One paradox of the security business is that the people giving advice are often the people supplying the security. They have a vested interest in you being scared. You need to develop your own instincts.

A very old joke;

2 rabbits were gazing across the field at a hungry looking fox.
Flopsy turns to Mopsy and says, "we are screwed - will never outrun the fox."
Mopsy turns to Flopsy and says, "I don't have to outrun the fox - I just have to outrun you!"

micha

Dec 26, 2009
I think the best way to stay safe is to have nothing or at least to be perceived as having nothing. That should stopped planned attacks, home invasions and the like.
The more visible security one has the more one is seen as being worth hitting. It is an arms race you will never win.

One paradox of the security business is that the people giving advice are often the people supplying the security. They have a vested interest in you being scared. You need to develop your own instincts.

A very old joke;

Mopsy turns to Flopsy and says, "I don't have to outrun the fox - I just have to outrun you!"

I understand the concept of not flashing ones wealth, trying not to draw unwanted attention....but the fact that I am going to plunk down a more or less considerable amount of money to purchase a house makes me a target already.....?

micha

Dec 26, 2009

A very old joke;

I understand the concept of not flashing ones wealth, trying not to draw unwanted attention....but the fact that I am going to plunk down a more or less considerable amount of money to purchase a house makes me a target already...