Expat Communities in Rio San Juan and Gasper Hernandez

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
Actually, any American is not just called an expat by some, but also a gringo. That's regardless of color.

BTW, expect your post to either be deleted or warned for the subtopic not to continue due to regulation prohibiting race talk in the forum.

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
So my question is simple. Are there any real expat communities in either of these areas?

Cheers
Very few expats in both of those places. Concentrations of expats that can be easily seen/identified along the Atlantic coast are near Puerto Plata with Sosúa having the greatest concentration and the surrounding areas of Las Terrenas. Expat numbers fall off a cliff anywhere else. Even in places like Sosúa/Cabarete/Las Terrenas the most obvious people are Dominicans and even Haitians are run into much more quickly than gringos that either speak Spanish with an English accent or none at all (not to mention that many Americans and Canadians are spotted by the way they dress and even the way they carry themselves).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RSJ has a good sized French Cdn community....

You see them together quite a bit in various places

LT is more French French...I would say

Reactions: Auryn

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Actually, any American is not just called an expat by some, but also a gringo. That's regardless of color.

BTW, expect your post to either be deleted or warned for the subtopic not to continue due to regulation prohibiting race talk in the forum.
I asked a question about expats living in an area I am considering relocating to within the DR. Why is that against the rules? Very confused.

Reactions: snoozer

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Tourist zones..... GH&RSJ are 'country' lifestyles
Thanks, I spent a few days in GH and RSJ recently and came away with the feeling that there are very few non Dominicans in those areas apart from occasional of the beaten track tourists and the life was as you say, more country style.

But you never know and that's why I asked to see if anyone knew any different.

Cheers all.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Very few expats in both of those places. Concentrations of expats that can be easily seen/identified along the Atlantic coast are near Puerto Plata with Sosúa having the greatest concentration and the surrounding areas of Las Terrenas. Expat numbers fall off a cliff anywhere else. Even in places like Sosúa/Cabarete/Las Terrenas the most obvious people are Dominicans and even Haitians are run into much more quickly than gringos that either speak Spanish with an English accent or none at all (not to mention that many Americans and Canadians are spotted by the way they dress and even the way they carry themselves).
I have lived in LT for many years and seen it grow rapidly into a place that I no longer am a fan of. Hence the search for something a little different. I know of Sosua, PP etc and they are not really what I am looking for,

Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks, I spent a few days in GH and RSJ recently and came away with the feeling that there are very few non Dominicans in those areas apart from occasional of the beaten track tourists and the life was as you say, more country style.

But you never know and that's why I asked to see if anyone knew any different.

Cheers all.
The expat crowd in RSJ is more seasonal than permanent..... they're there now for instance

Reactions: DRDreamer72

veraugamike

Jul 22, 2019
I live in Verauga. It is about halfway between GH and Cabarete. There are at least a dozen full time expats living here. Swedish, Austrian, Canadian, American, Italian, German etc. No one concentration of nationalities. I would not call it an expat community. It's not like we play bridge together or anything. The town is very welcoming. If I feel the need for that true expat community feeling Cabarete is but a few minutes down the road.

chico bill

Silver
May 6, 2016
I spent a long month one day in zlGaspar Hernández.
No offense to those who live there but it's the arm pit of the north coast.
RSJ is beautiful but far from many services and no supermarket of quality

Reactions: Gadfly

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
GH is a fairly busy small town with no real small town charm. Not much reason for any expat to go there that I can see. With all the traffic, GH and Sabaneta will soon be major choke points along the north coast highway.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Silver
May 6, 2016
GH is a fairly busy small town with no real small town charm. Not much reason for any expat to go there that I can see. With all the traffic, GH and Sabaneta will soon be major choke points along the north coast highway.
Soon like - 2 years ago for GH

Status
Not open for further replies.