Expats...Why did you become a resident or a citizen of the DR?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm interested in knowing the reasons one would become a resident or citizen of the DR if you were/are holding US or Can passports. More specially, if one of the reasons was you wanted to be more proactive in the politics of the country, have you now become active? What role do you play in Dominican politics? Was it because you wanted a complete break from the form of govt in the USA or Can? Mission accomplished?

Clearly, at least in my mind, it can't be because of "the shorter lines at immigration" as mentioned in so many other treads in the past. Very little value there for all the effort and time needed to change for status. Taxation? IDK, the laws in the US are pretty tight on that subject, especially reporting income, such as S.S. I suppose there are other reasons ( I can think of 2-3) that you would probably would not want to post here, and I understand that. I hope that's working out for you, but if they can be shared here they would lend some insight to the subject.

My inquiry in no way means I have a pro or con set in my mind. I'm here to learn. I think the subject is fascinating.

Reactions: CynthiaCom

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I'm interested in knowing the reasons one would become a resident or citizen of the DR if you were/are holding US or Can passports. More specially, if one of the reasons was you wanted to be more proactive in the politics of the country, have you now become active? What role do you play in Dominican politics? Was it because you wanted a complete break from the form of govt in the USA or Can? Mission accomplished?

Clearly, at least in my mind, it can't be because of "the shorter lines at immigration" as mentioned in so many other treads in the past. Very little value there for all the effort and time needed to change for status. Taxation? IDK, the laws in the US are pretty tight on that subject, especially reporting income, such as S.S. I suppose there are other reasons ( I can think of 2-3) that you would probably would not want to post here, and I understand that. I hope that's working out for you, but if they can be shared here they would lend some insight to the subject.

My inquiry in no way means I have a pro or con set in my mind. I'm here to learn. I think the subject is fascinating.

That's the million dollar question[/QUOTE]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not all expats are US citizens....
Old Age benefits from benefits from US & Canada still are paid to non-residents of those countries - I get both

As an overstayer - no matter how you look at it - you become illegal after the 30 days
That can work against you if anyone so chooses.

If you have put down roots - why not ?

Reactions: JD Jones

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Not all expats are US citizens....
Old Age benefits from benefits from US & Canada still are paid to non-residents of those countries - I get both

As an overstayer - no matter how you look at it - you become illegal after the 30 days
That can work against you if anyone so chooses.

If you have put down roots - why not ?

90 days, if you apply for an extension. I did it.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
For those who want to live full time, or for long stretches in country, residency does make sense. .As a legal resident you can get a drivers licence among other benefits.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I'm a resident, no plan to apply for a citizenship. I'm not running away from the US or Canadian government I'm European. A residency simplifies many issues not just the line at immigration, example.. drivers license.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Originally worked for a dominican company that was an affiliate of a US company they required residency then retired here and kept renewing the residency! Dominican law requires residency for employment, except for work related visa.

Reactions: JD Jones and johne

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I don't qualify for citizenship, but I wanted --- and got --- residencia, because I just wanted to be regularized. I like not having to pay over-stay fees, and I like being able to buy a one-way ticket. I'd like to get a Dominican driver's license. I just feel as if it confers a certain degree of legitimacy and demonstrates my commitment to living here permanently.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I prefer to be legally in the country. You can get a drivers license. You can legally work if you want to. No need to worry about what will happen if and when the overstay fee program ends. Some health insurers won't give you full coverage if you're not a resident. If you're in a serious accident driving and are not a resident - I wouldn't want to be you.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I got DR citizenship back when it was a relatively simple process due to being married to a DR citizen. In my mind I just thought since we would be living in the DR it would make things/processes a bit more easier. The political side of having citizenship really was not a factor. To be honest I never really give it much thought.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I prefer to be legally in the country. You can get a drivers license. You can legally work if you want to. No need to worry about what will happen if and when the overstay fee program ends. Some health insurers won't give you full coverage if you're not a resident. If you're in a serious accident driving and are not a resident - I wouldn't want to be you.
Medical insurance is an important factor. Another one is travel. But I think Americans don’t see that problem as its so close so they travel in from US and back. If you are from Europe for instance and travel to the US from DR and back to DR it can be tricky without the legal residency in the DR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I forgot to mention, you cannot engage in politics as a resident.
One of my key questions I have always thought about and why so much interest here on DR1 without having a say in the matter.Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To be legal. Do you like illegals in your country?
I am from the USA and got my first residency in 2002. This year I passed my test to be naturlaized as a DR citizen, but CV19 delayed the swearing in and it is still delayed. Now for the reasons.

Exactly the same primary reason as Seamonkey - To be legal.

Other reasons are that I live here, own a home here, I want to drive legally (which is my number 2 reason and is a part of my number 1 reason - as a US citizen I could no longer renew my US license because I don't live there), and I have local medical and auto insurance.

Becoming a citizen means I no longer have to deal with Migracion and if I care to I can vote.