Expats...Why did you become a resident or a citizen of the DR?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
drstock said:
Why is the OP only asking about people with US?Can passports? Not interested in the rest of us?

Johne, he handed you a great opening line for a joke. You blew it. :ROFLMAO:
I didn't want to start up the usual banter of off topic that goes to politics and insults ,etc. I tried my best to stay the course which is close to impossible here at DR1. I don't know how the mods maintain their sanity.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Can

Sorry for the oversight. Be my guest. Fire away.
Right! Now I'm allowed in, my main reason to get Residency was to be able to drive legally with a Dominican licence, and now I have it I feel better about life. I'm interested in politics, but with all the corruption here there doesn't seem to be much point in getting involved.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
If you have residency or citizenship no one can argue with your legitimate right to be in the country. As long as you comport with the subsequent requirements. I remember I signed a document that says I agree not to participate in insurrections, for example. I wish I had a copy of that document. I don't.

Secondly, I have residency for investment (Residencia Inversion) which allows some tax and other financial advantages in the RD. But, in fact they are very hard to claim, in my experience. So I would say that does not carry as much importance as I thought it would.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
To be legal. Do you like illegals in your country?
Why. I believe in being legal and doing things within the rules. My wife is Dominican and we have both business and residential property, and a corporation. All easier if you are a citizen. Having the luxury of a Canadian passport we can leave whenever we want. Having a DR passport does make it much easier coming and going from the country. Dominicans appreciate you for becoming a citizen. Inheritance and death are easier as well, not death itself and dealing with the remains. Me, I don't care where I AM BURIED OR CREMATED.

Reactions: Seamonkey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
When Brazil required visas from Americans, the cost was ridiculously high compared to Dominican citizens who were charged just US$20 for the same visa. So, you have an itch to travel to Brazil in those recent times and there is a total of 4 travelers, you pay the visa for every one of them. Plus, all are also Dominican citizens. Guess which citizenship will be used to purchase the visa to Brazil? I'll give you a hint: its a country on Hispaniola and it isn't Haiti.

That's only one example.

Reactions: I love Azua

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you are a TRUE expat.... you are almost driven to Res/Citizenship

True expats have left their homeland.... are non-residents and thus don't qualify for things like
driving licenses, etc w/o skirting the rules a bit

Trust me - I tried being a 'Citizen of the World'..... it don't work
sooner/later some Immigration Official delves a bit deeper into things and you're screwed...

So, in fact - you have no choice - ultimately

I have a long list of 'Why's'.... not the least of which is affordable care in my old age - if-as & when

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
If you are a TRUE expat.... you are almost driven to Res/Citizenship

True expats have left their homeland.... are non-residents and thus don't qualify for things like
driving licenses, etc w/o skirting the rules a bit

Trust me - I tried being a 'Citizen of the World'..... it don't work
sooner/later some Immigration Official delves a bit deeper into things and you're screwed...

So, in fact - you have no choice - ultimately

I have a long list of 'Why's'.... not the least of which is affordable care in my old age - if-as & when
I learned the hard way to. Today they call it Digital Nomad being a citizen of the world. I follow many digital nomad groups on SoMe now and many got stuck and had problems during this pandemic and continue to. You need a place to hang your hat and for emergencies like a pandemic.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm waiting for windy who just his citizenship and I'm interested in his take on the subject.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm waiting for windy who just his citizenship and I'm interested in his take on the subject.
More or less my reasons:

1 To be legal
2 To get a driver's license since I have no other option to get one. See 1 above.
3 I live here. And be legal where I own my only home. See 1 above.
4 To have local medical insurance and not have an issue with it. See 1 above.
5 To not face an issue by being illegal, like driving after 90 days on a foreign license which is illegal.See 1 above.
6 See 1 above.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
More or less my reasons:

1 To be legal
2 To get a driver's license since I have no other option to get one. See 1 above.
5 To not face an issue by being illegal, like driving after 90 days on a foreign license which is illegal.See 1 above.
6 See 1 above.

#3: Would you have bought a home here if you weren't legal?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
AND SEA BISCUIT IS AGAIN GETTING BEAT TO DEATH ....OVERSTAY CHARTS AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
More or less my reasons:

1 To be legal
6 See 1 above.
Thanks windy.

Reactions: windeguy