Expats...Why did you become a resident or a citizen of the DR?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Or after 10 yrs - the 10 yr card - definitiva

I opted for citizenship instead of the 10 yr....November last was sworn in
no more renewals- they are now 2 SD trips - medicals every time
Was easier get citizenship.... no more difficult

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

They don't offer that anymore AFAIK.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure.... you may be right......it was when I was thinking about how to proceed
But that was a while back

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I am from the USA and got my first residency in 2002. This year I passed my test to be naturlaized as a DR citizen, but CV19 delayed the swearing in and it is still delayed. Now for the reasons.

Exactly the same primary reason as Seamonkey - To be legal.

Other reasons are that I live here, own a home here, I want to drive legally (which is my number 2 reason and is a part of my number 1 reason - as a US citizen I could no longer renew my US license because I don't live there), and I have local medical and auto insurance.

Becoming a citizen means I no longer have to deal with Migracion and if I care to I can vote.
I don’t really think there is a problem having property here a home without legal residency.

Reactions: CynthiaCom

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
If you have residency or citizenship no one can argue with your legitimate right to be in the country. As long as you comport with the subsequent requirements. I remember I signed a document that says I agree not to participate in insurrections, for example. I wish I had a copy of that document. I don't.

Secondly, I have residency for investment (Residencia Inversion) which allows some tax and other financial advantages in the RD. But, in fact they are very hard to claim, in my experience. So I would say that does not carry as much importance as I thought it would.
Any type of benefits like that with investment and tax etc seem so bureaucratic that its not worth it anyway.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

My residency expires July next year and I have had it over 10 years. I am considering applying for citizenship now and have to file application 6 months before it expires. Denmark my country of origin only allowed dual citizenship since 2015. Obviously I would not have given up my Danish citizenship and Danish/EU passport. Now I can have both. I would want the Dominican passport to. There could be some funny situations where a country requires a visa from Denmark and not the DR which would be an interesting story to tell.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That would be easy to research...which (if any) countries

I have not bothered w/ the passport.... the cedula says it all... different color
My other passport is Canadian

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That would be easy to research...which (if any) countries

I have not bothered w/ the passport.... the cedula says it all... different color
My other passport is Canadian
Maybe during a nacional emergency like the pandemic the Dominican Passport is more convincing at immigration at the airport.

I think maybe China is one example where the DR passport means no visa whereas Danish/EU requires a visa but I am not sure at all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I say- the cedula is markedly different ..... that signifies your citizenship

At SDQ - the passport gets you in the automatic kiosk...
I rarely use SDQ - -- POP is my airport of choice (in normal times)

Reactions: aarhus

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
but in your case... for outside the country use.... a passport will be needed

The cedula is a national/internal use

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I may get it one day....
these days - there have a newly designed passport.... that everyone wants
so the line is long - so long they won't allow renewals until close to expiry

You and I would be new applications - front of the line

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I put 1000 grease in my lawyers hands and got my residency .... i still had to give blood ....and backround check

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Blood from a stone - is the saying ---- hahaha

1,000 on top of the fee - or total ??

It costs about that....1,000

let me know when you go for citizenship.... grease me to write the test for you !!!
:p
🤑