Expect more stringent restrictions to control the upward trend in Covid-19 cases

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Plutarco-Arias-2-El-Caribe-e1606817800748.jpg

Public Health Minister Plutarco Arias said that the health cabinet is meeting on Tuesday, 1 December 2020 to review actions to be taken now that Covid-19 cases are on the rise. Despite the generalized use of masks, it is clear people in the Dominican Republic have let down their guard and activities are almost back to normal.

Dr. Arias said the government is assessing measures to be implemented from 1 to 20 December. The idea is to act now to prevent the continued increase in the positivity rate. He said if stricter measures are not enforced now, Dominicans may have to forget about the government relaxing measures in time for the Christmas and New Year festivities.

“The health cabinet will meet tomorrow, Tuesday, and it will define what we are going to do, so for the moment, I don’t have an answer,” he told the press. He added: “However if they [the people]...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael DR

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I had to go into town today and was very surprised to see that most people were not wearing masks and those that had one were not wearing it properly. The public has clearly become complacent. In the past the opposite was the case where masks were the norm for the vast majority of people out in the streets. I had to ask different people to give me some more space no less than three times in the 45 minutes before I headed home. I would hope that most people can draw the link between cause and effect. Wear a mask and keep your distance from others and all will eventually work itself out. Don't do these things and the number of cases rises and the govt feels compelled to enact more restrictions. We'll see what they decide to do tomorrow.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I had to go into town today and was very surprised to see that most people were not wearing masks and those that had one were not wearing it properly. The public has clearly become complacent. In the past the opposite was the case where masks were the norm for the vast majority of people out in the streets. I had to ask different people to give me some more space no less than three times in the 45 minutes before I headed home. I would hope that most people can draw the link between cause and effect. Wear a mask and keep your distance from others and all will eventually work itself out. Don't do these things and the number of cases rises and the govt feels compelled to enact more restrictions. We'll see what they decide to do tomorrow.

Ignoring the fact of course that almost all scientists say that wearing masks has zero effect if you are outside.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I question the MENTAL health of those people I sometimes see at 7am in the morning running/walking on an open beach.One foot from the sea, no one within 50 feet, if that ,and the air as pure as can be. This again is following by meme, or rote and never stopping for a moment to use your brain.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Ignoring the fact of course that almost all scientists say that wearing masks has zero effect if you are outside.

"Outside" is one thing, stuck in a mass of people outside without masks is something entirely different.

If one could be stuck in the middle of a group of people without fear what would be the reason to wear a mask at all?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's my point exactly. The water droplets expelled by someone with the virus do fall to the ground quickly. If you maintain your distance, you most likely will not breath any in while you are outside. However, if sufficient distance is not maintained all bets are off. The mask is for those times that someone invades your bubble space either indoors or outdoors. . Of course this happens often. It's as simple as walking past someone on the sidewalk who has coughed or sneezed and left a cloud of particles in their wake that you then walk through. Hand washing, wearing a mask and keeping physical distance are three things one can do to lessen the risk of infection. No single measure is sufficient on it's own. I don't like wearing a mask but if I am going to encounter other people, I make sure I have one on. Furthermore, it is supposedly the law of the land these days. Enforcement seems to have dropped off substantially based on my observations yesterday.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Agreed.
I was in Sosua last night.
No one was wearing a mask
and I was told several times
by the tourist around me to take
that damn diaper off of your face.

The increase in cases coincides with the increase
in tourist arrivals which the average Dominican is
in no way, shape or form responsible for.

The Covid freaks need to sit down
with the Money men (Resort/ Tourism Businesses)
and hammer this shit out.

Under no circumstance do they
need to punish the general population
with more draconian measures to further
handicap/ punish this society.

People who are advocating for more restrictive
measures need to pull their heads out of their
asses and get a grip on reality.

You are more likely to be killed in a car accident
down here than to die from Covid.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
TLDR;

You could also correctly say that you are more likely to be killed falling down the stairs. That doesn't necessarily mean that people are freaks for trying not to fall down a set of stairs. Trying not to catch Covid and subsequently spreading it about is I still believe is a worthwhile endeavor especially for those who are not confident that a bout of the disease will leave them alive or without major complications/after effects. It is one's civic responsibility to do what they can to prevent the spread of this disease, any disease really. Doing so benefits everyone economically and socially. There are a lot of people who can't see past the end of their own nose and don't give any consideration for anyone else which is why the disease continues to spread in this country and elsewhere in direct proportion to the number of people who just can't be bothered to put up with the minor the inconveniences of wearing a mask, keeping some distance and cleaning their hands often. It's not forever. Just longer than most people are willing to accept and not give in to selfish self interest. So some of us stay home alone as much as we can, being bore out of our minds wishing times were different but knowing they are not. At least not yet. The voluntary shut-ins continue to hope for better standardized treatment and an effective vaccine so that we too can once again go about our days without having to ask ourselves is that other person is too close or if our our server has washed their hands after handling the money paid by the last customer. The self-isolators do these things because we choose to. We wear a mask because we feel that something acting a possible block to virus laden exhalations is better than wearing nothing. I've never understood the need to stand so close to someone else that you can count the hairs growing out of their ears. While not comforting and certainly not spiteful, when I do hear about or think about some of these people who are not doing all they can to protect themselves or others getting sick I can't help but feel it's their own fault but realize that someone else gave them the illness and they caught it probably because they did so little to not get infected. If you engage in risky behavior by definition you have to consciously and willingly accept the risk.

At least at home, I can be fairly confident that I can breath without a mask, touch stuff and then touch my face without having to worry about catching CV19. Yet I still wash my hands and use santizer far more often than I ever did before. I never used to think about reaching into a pocket in my pants to retrieve something and wondering when the last time I had money in that pocket or if the item has been in someone else's hand in the last seven days. Living this way can wear you down but the alternative of not being mindful and doing these things can be much worse for some of us and the ones at home that we love. So we do what we can and remind ourselves everyday why we do these things to renew and solidify our commitment to carry on as safely as we can until the day comes when being this obsessive is not quite so necessary. Yet, you will always have to be mindful going up and down the stairs.

For me, sitting in a restaurant or bar is not important. I can get my dinner to bring home if that is really what I want to do. I can buy drinks and consume them at home. I can even have a friend or two over once in a while to share in the comradery, food and drink while observing some distance and being outdoors. but then for 14 days, the certainty of the safety of my house is not as certain. People touch stuff like toilet handles toilet paper and doorknobs and light switches, hand railings etc. It's laborious sanitizing and cleaning up after having guests. So only guests who are also self-isolators are ever invited over. It is a very short list. But every day that I can get out of bed in the morning and not be sick is the reward for the effort. It sometimes is difficult remembering this but every time I see my wife being CV19 free, I remember.

Reactions: Neargale

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Indefinite quarantine for the fear mongering Covid freaks while the
rest of us get on with living our lives
sounds like the best solution possible at this point in time.

This way they will be stuck in their little bubbles, won't have a clue about what the rest of society is doing and therefor will have nothing else to complain about.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I assure you none of us "freaks" enjoy living this way day after day. For some it is necessary though in part due to those who are "getting on with living their lives" just a tad too much and prematurely. With cases in the DR and around the world going up now is not the time to throw caution to the wind. We all have a part to play until the virus is brought under some sort of acceptable control. How and when this will happen I cannot say, but doing those things we know increases the spread seems counter productive for everybody No one can get on with a normal life while there are hundreds if not thousands of newly discovered cases everyday - not the healthy people and not the sick people, certainly not the economy or society. The inappropriately and callously named "freaks" at least recognize the reality of disease transmission. The fed up "name caller" types are just irresponsible reality deniers in my opinion. These are the very people that concern the "freaks" the most. Even if we never meet one face to face, through a chain of infection "they" can seriously harm us and our families and they don't seem to care one bit. No es mi culpa indeed. smh.

There are clear international examples of how rampant spread can be brought under control and it is not a pretty or particularly appealing process. We need to avoid this type of hardship at all costs and that means everyone has to conduct themselves accordingly whether they like it or not. Whether they want to or not. Someday we'll all be able to do what we want again, just not today.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I assure you none of us "freaks" enjoy living this way day after day. For some it is necessary though in part due to those who are "getting on with living their lives" just a tad too much and prematurely. With cases in the DR and around the world going up now is not the time to throw caution to the wind. We all have a part to play until the virus is brought under some sort of acceptable control. How and when this will happen I cannot say, but doing those things we know increases the spread seems counter productive for everybody No one can get on with a normal life while there are hundreds if not thousands of newly discovered cases everyday - not the healthy people and not the sick people, certainly not the economy or society. The inappropriately and callously named "freaks" at least recognize the reality of disease transmission. The fed up "name caller" types are just irresponsible reality deniers in my opinion. These are the very people that concern the "freaks" the most. Even if we never meet one face to face, through a chain of infection "they" can seriously harm us and our families and they don't seem to care one bit. No es mi culpa indeed. smh.

There are clear international examples of how rampant spread can be brought under control and it is not a pretty or particularly appealing process. We need to avoid this type of hardship at all costs and that means everyone has to conduct themselves accordingly whether they like it or not. Whether they want to or not. Someday we'll all be able to do what we want again, just not today.
With any luck the idiots pushing this crap will start dying off soon. Problem solved.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am surprised that anyone would be surprise that after 9 months Dominicans would be pushing back on regulations to wear masks, and follow other protocols including social distancing and curfews. I would only be surprised if they DID follow them.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014

Just curious, how many people do you know with covid? How many of those people have been very ill? How many have died? I'm genuinely curious, because people (through their friend/family circles) know thousands of people.
I happen to know many many folks who literally know NO-ONE with this virus, or they know of some friend of a friend who had the sniffles and tested positive.
Since the virus has been so highly politicized, I believe anecdotal evidence is relevant. Perhaps you know a lot of people who've died of covid and that fuels your caution?

Reactions: Big

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Just curious, how many people do you know with covid? How many of those people have been very ill? How many have died? I'm genuinely curious, because people (through their friend/family circles) know thousands of people.
I happen to know many many folks who literally know NO-ONE with this virus, or they know of some friend of a friend who had the sniffles and tested positive.
Since the virus has been so highly politicized, I believe anecdotal evidence is relevant. Perhaps you know a lot of people who've died of covid and that fuels your caution?

I'm going to answer this for my circle of friends and family. No one I know in the DR has gotten it. I have no clue (and could care less) if I have had it and remained asymptomatic. I care more about dinner.

In my family and friends back in the states, I know 4 people, my sis, her hubbie, a family friend who is 75 recovering from hip surgery, and her daughter. Sis and hubbie are both about 60, got sick, got well (and as Dylan would say, hang around the ink well), and everything is both hunky AND dory. Maureen, the family friend, is doing better but not out of the woods yet even though she's now testing negative. It's kinda slow for her because of the hip surgery and she's old. Her daughter got it from her and is not doing well. I don't know the daughter personally but have been told she's an alkie. We will see about her.

My oldest son was sick but tested negative. I'm glad for that because he is morbidly obese.

But no mortalities. No debilitating health issues as of now. The jury is still out on Maureen's daughter.

Reactions: Big and nanita

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am surprised that anyone would be surprise that after 9 months Dominicans would be pushing back on regulations to wear masks, and follow other protocols including social distancing and curfews. I would only be surprised if they DID follow them.
Social distancing?
Anyone been to Plaza Denny's in the heart of Santiago lately?
How's about glanced over at a publico/ concho while sitting at
a red light and been unable to count the number of passengers
crammed into the car?

I am all for people wearing masks while having close contact with
others in public. Most people are. Its common that people who are
sick do this in Asia as a form of common courtesy so to not infect others.

The curfew ruined people's livelihoods. Some beyond repair anytime
in the near future. It did not stop people from socializing in large groups,
nor will it.

Kids in this country were at a clear disadvantage when it comes to getting
a proper education in the DR long before this virus came along. The amount
of damage these freaks are doing to these children's futures is criminal.

It's real easy to say "yes, we must have these measures in place" when
all of your income comes in from abroad in the form of retirement,
pension or the like. Your inability to get a grip on reality should not interfere
with other people's lives.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The guaguas are an interesting example. The guagau to the capital from Boca Chica went frim 70 pesos to 100 but only 1 person to a seat if not together.

But you get into the capital and every guagua I took, which was mostly on 27 de Febrero coridor had standing room only. Most wear masks, but it really is a-holes to belly buttons in the capital.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Social distancing?
Anyone been to Plaza Denny's in the heart of Santiago lately?
How's about glanced over at a publico/ concho while sitting at
a red light and been unable to count the number of passengers
crammed into the car?

I am all for people wearing masks while having close contact with
others in public. Most people are. Its common that people who are
sick do this in Asia as a form of common courtesy so to not infect others.

The curfew ruined people's livelihoods. Some beyond repair anytime
in the near future. It did not stop people from socializing in large groups,
nor will it.

Kids in this country were at a clear disadvantage when it comes to getting
a proper education in the DR long before this virus came along. The amount
of damage these freaks are doing to these children's futures is criminal.

It's real easy to say "yes, we must have these measures in place" when
all of your income comes in from abroad in the form of retirement,
pension or the like. Your inability to get a grip on reality should not interfere
with other people's lives.
Was in Plaza Denny buying toilet paper last Saturday. I didn't see anyone without masks, but lots not wearing them properly. My cashier had hers on her chin, probably wanted to show off her cute face. The whole city was swarming with people like ants. We are turning children away from our school, even though we are doing the virtual things as well, just not using the government program.

Reactions: CristoRey

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
The guaguas are an interesting example. The guagau to the capital from Boca Chica went frim 70 pesos to 100 but only 1 person to a seat if not together.

But you get into the capital and every guagua I took, which was mostly on 27 de Febrero coridor had standing room only. Most wear masks, but it really is a-holes to belly buttons in the capital
The guaguas from San Pedro to the Capital most of the time full, no respect for social distance and they all raised their prices.
"Dominicans just accept the transport mafia and the new and old government turn a blind eye. The health minster does not use guaguas.........

I surprize the new government has not crack down on this, I guess bigger fish to fry.