Expectations are high

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-El-Jaya-e1593174487215.jpg

By DOLORES VICIOSO, DR1 Editor

People are counting the days. This coming Sunday, 16 August 2020, after five terms in office, the Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) will no longer be the ruling party. Enter the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) that in 2020 swept the municipal election (15 March) and the presidential and congressional election (5 July).

Expectations are high. This time around Luis Abinader ran for President promising an independent Attorney General as a first step to end corruption and impunity. With just days to go for the end of the Medina administration, the media has been focusing on irregularities in past actions in government of the President’s close family members and relatives. Will they be prosecuted? Former President Hipólito Mejía, a high-ranking member in the PRM and contender to Abinader for the presidential nomination, said: “Presidents...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The new government faces huge challenges ahead and as stated in the article the first one is tackling Corona virus. As it continues to spread in the DR it will hamper the economy. The DR needs to look to countries that have managed to control the spread and as a result the number of new cases are lower and the flattened rate is maintained. Abinader has every opportunity to right the ship. Let’s see if he has the political will to change past behaviour. The biggest one being corruption and one I always hope to see is investment (correctly) in reforming the public education system.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I truly hope that proper steps are taken to temper the infection rate in this country. I hope they don't cause too much pain but we should not see 1200+ new cases a day as acceptable.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I truly hope that proper steps are taken to temper the infection rate in this country. I hope they don't cause too much pain but we should not see 1200+ new cases a day as acceptable.

An infection rate of 1200 new cases a day is high in DR or anywhere. However, everyone has to be on the same page. The government needs to put in place the measures and people adhere to them. Social/ physical distancing and wearing a mask does help to control the spread. However, if people don’t cooperate, or are inconsistent, don’t care or are too concerned about themselves (non health reasons for not wearing a mask) then it will continue. There are so many examples of countries that have flattened the curve vs. those that have not and the reasons for success and failure are the same. In this situation, I just think there is no choice. Try to control the spread or let it spread like wild fire. I choose option one- try to control the spread.

’A ritmo de bachata y tomando bebidas alcohólicas’......I don’t get this behaviour knowing how the virus spreads.

Reactions: Harleysrock

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
An infection rate of 1200 new cases a day is high in DR or anywhere. However, everyone has to be on the same page. The government needs to put in place the measures and people adhere to them. Social/ physical distancing and wearing a mask does help to control the spread. However, if people don’t cooperate, or are inconsistent, don’t care or are too concerned about themselves (non health reasons for not wearing a mask) then it will continue. There are so many examples of countries that have flattened the curve vs. those that have not and the reasons for success and failure are the same. In this situation, I just think there is no choice. Try to control the spread or let it spread like wild fire. I choose option one- try to control the spread.

’A ritmo de bachata y tomando bebidas alcohólicas’......I don’t get this behaviour knowing how the virus spreads.

For how many more months?

Reactions: TropicalPaul

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
For how many more months?

Frankly, until the countries with the largest influx of tourism in the DR, especially the US, gets their infection rates under control.

They were doing fine, staying ahead of the curve, until they relaxed the curfews and started letting tourists back in. Double whammy.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Frankly, until the countries with the largest influx of tourism in the DR, especially the US, gets their infection rates under control.

They were doing fine, staying ahead of the curve, until they relaxed the curfews and started letting tourists back in. Double whammy.
I think they should round up anyone who is caught (trying to enjoy themselves)
and stick them into camps.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Exactly. It is not hard to review data. The number of cases either goes up or down and if they head in the wrong direction (up in this situation) then they (the DR government) need to put procedures in place to control the spread. The infection rate in the US is out of control but not because it can’t be controlled. Leadership issue.

Reactions: DRob and colmcb

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

"Social/ physical distancing and wearing a mask does help to control the spread" IF this is true can you please explain the big increase in cases in Colombia which has been on a 24/7 shut down since March??? Colombia and other places like I believe Santiago Chile with some of the strictest shut downs continue to have substantial increases in cases https://abc3340.com/news/nation-world/colombia-reports-biggest-daily-increase-in-virus-cases

Closing countries economies is going to to incredibly more damage than the Wuhan Virus.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Exactly. It is not hard to review data. The number of cases either goes up or down and if they head in the wrong direction (up in this situation) then they (the DR government) need to put procedures in place to control the spread. The infection rate in the US is out of control but not because it can’t be controlled. Leadership issue.

This is complete B.S. IF you were correct explain what is happening in Colombia which I have listed here many times but people of your thinking do not have an explanation. 24/7 shut down and big increase in cases. OPEN EVERYTHING UP!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
This is complete B.S. IF you were correct explain what is happening in Colombia which I have listed here many times but people of your thinking do not have an explanation. 24/7 shut down and big increase in cases. OPEN EVERYTHING UP!

I have nothing to explain to you. You are not the authority on anything. I post my point of view like everyone else and if you don’t like it read it and skip over.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No amount of social distancing and curfew regulations is likely to have any great effect in the DR on CV19. It is a very contagious virus and the people are not adept at social distancing. It is an interesting social experiment, but is extremely likely to continue to fail as it already has failed. People don't become more compliant over time.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Nope not a leadership issue, a people issue. Protestors don't listen to leadership, Governors and mayors of certain cities doing the opposite to spite the national leadership.

Reactions: irishpaddy