Expired Residency ? RENEW IT !!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The thread is about renewing expired residency, we are not going to revisit the "paying an exit fee" topic. That topic has been well posted about for years.
AMEN. Those threads, that have stopped recently, got to be at one point... boring as watching paint dry.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I realize that this is an old thread but I can't find any more recent information about expired residency, so here goes. Hopefully somebody can help.

My temporary residency expired at the end of May this year while I was in the United States. I did not return to the Domincan Republic until November. Before discovering this thread I assumed that I would simply be charged a late fee of 500 pesos per month like I was before. So I went to the government website to get the Certificate of Good Conduct required to renew my temporary residency (5th year), but after paying the 600 peso fee was advised that the Certificate cannot be issued because my cedula has been canceled. The message goes on to say that I need to go to the Junta Central Electoral to learn the reason why it has been canceled. But of course I already know the reason - it expired nearly 6 months ago.

So can anybody explain what I'm supposed to do now? Does this mean that I would need to begin the residency process all over again as if were the first year? If so, then this becomes a no-brainer - forget it. Or do I need to beg forgiveness and explain why I had to be in the United States for 6 months?

I tried to get the Certificate of Good Conduct using my passport instead of my expired cedula but that didn't work either because the website apparently recognizes my email address and will not allow me to register using my passport as the identity item. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Head to the migration website (https://migracion.gob.do/servicio/renovacion-residencia-temporal-ordinaria-rt-9/)
there is everything about renewal process and it states:

A QUIÉN VA DIRIGIDO ?. "Foreigner with an Ordinary Temporary Residence card, expired or about to expire within thirty (30) days before the expiration date."...

Follow the instructions, if you hit a wall call them or send an email from the provided link and ask them how to proceed. I've sent email requests and they are pretty good about responding, I've found they are actually quite helpful over the phone too.

Good luck

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That sounds like a real "catch-22". I'd suggest going to one of the offices that issues the carta de buena conducta and explain it to them. Maybe in person you'll be able to get it(?).

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Head to the migration website (https://migracion.gob.do/servicio/renovacion-residencia-temporal-ordinaria-rt-9/)

A QUIÉN VA DIRIGIDO ?. "Foreigner with an Ordinary Temporary Residence card, expired or about to expire within thirty (30) days before the expiration date."...

Follow the instructions, if you hit a wall call them or send an email from the provided link and ask them how to proceed. I've sent email requests and they are pretty good about responding, I've found they are actually quite helpful over the phone too.

Good luck

Are they migrating or immigrating. The pitfalls of mixing espany with inglee

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012

Good luck

Thanks for the information and the web link. But this website states that the request for renewing expired temporary residency must be accompanied by a Certificate of Good Conduct. But the government website that issues these Certificates refuses to issue me a Certificate because my cedula has expired. And it won't allow me to register using my passport. Unfortunately my Spanish is not good enough for a phone call but perhaps with the help of Google Translate I will send an email message.

Either that or may just throw in the towel and resign myself to paying the overstay fee. God knows I dread that trip to migracion in Santo Domingo every year. And renewing my residency every year is far more expensive than the overstay fee and certainly far more stressful. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. I've always questioned whether or not it was really worth the hassle. I renewed my Dominican drivers license earlier this year just before my cedula expired and in the future, I'm guessing that my expired cedula will probably be accepted by most non-government entities. I need to think about this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still whipping that Dead Horse.....................
Just the truth. You might think you pay a fee for overparking, but that would also be a fine.

It should be simple to pay the amount needed to renew an expired residency and get a new cedula.
Only if one cares to be legal and not have to pay exit fines.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for the information and the web link. But this website states that the request for renewing expired temporary residency must be accompanied by a Certificate of Good Conduct. But the government website that issues these Certificates refuses to issue me a Certificate because my cedula has expired. And it won't allow me to register using my passport. Unfortunately my Spanish is not good enough for a phone call but perhaps with the help of Google Translate I will send an email message.

Either that or may just throw in the towel and resign myself to paying the overstay fee. God knows I dread that trip to migracion in Santo Domingo every year. And renewing my residency every year is far more expensive than the overstay fee and certainly far more stressful. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. I've always questioned whether or not it was really worth the hassle. I renewed my Dominican drivers license earlier this year just before my cedula expired and in the future, I'm guessing that my expired cedula will probably be accepted by most non-government entities. I need to think about this.

Where are you in the country?. if your on the east coast or south east the migracion office in Punta Cana is super small and almost always empty, you'll be in and out in 10 minutes with a solution.

• Love
Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I may try and look into this. Mine expired june 2021 and I now live in Denmark. I am traveling to the DR in 2024 and will also fly to the US from there and back after a month. To me there is not a good correlation between the hassle of renewing and the benefits of having it. If one lives permanently in the DR of course I think one should have it. That’s just wrong to live long term in the DR as a tourist and must lead to some practical problems.

Reactions: windeguy

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Where are you in the country?. if your on the east coast or south east the migracion office in Punta Cana is super small and almost always empty, you'll be in and out in 10 minutes with a solution.
I am in Sosua. I should probably go the migracion office in Puerto Plata for advice but I try to avoid driving to Puerto Plata with that Cangrejo bridge still out. Either that or perhaps I will just walk down the street to BanReservas to request a Carta de Buena Conducta to see if the problem can be resolved there. As I stated earlier, phone calls to governmental agencies are difficult or impossible due to my limited Spanish skills.

The website where I normally get my Carta de Buena Conducta is telling me that I need to go to the Junta Central Electoral to resolve the problem. If that means a separate journey to Santo Domingo to resolve this issue, then fahgetaboudit. I will happily pay my overstay fee/fine/penalty/bribe or whatever you want to call it and take pleasure in avoiding that onerous annual trip to Santo Domingo.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I am in Sosua. I should probably go the migracion office in Puerto Plata for advice but I try to avoid driving to Puerto Plata with that Cangrejo bridge still out. Either that or perhaps I will just walk down the street to BanReservas to request a Carta de Buena Conducta to see if the problem can be resolved there. As I stated earlier, phone calls to governmental agencies are difficult or impossible due to my limited Spanish skills.

The website where I normally get my Carta de Buena Conducta is telling me that I need to go to the Junta Central Electoral to resolve the problem. If that means a separate journey to Santo Domingo to resolve this issue, then fahgetaboudit. I will happily pay my overstay fee/fine/penalty/bribe or whatever you want to call it and take pleasure in avoiding that onerous annual trip to Santo Domingo.
I will try and make calls to immigration while I am there and post on here what they tell me. But as soon as I realize it’s a big hassle I will let it go. If it’s really true expired cedulas can’t be renewed easily I suspect many will.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

I believe there is a JCE office in Sosua, almost opposite Margot restaurant. That is where Dominicans go to replace lost cedulas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So someone comes for 2 or 3 months a year. Cedula- For What does he need it?
Drivers License- He can use his foreign one. No one ever been 'charged" for this.
Legal Status- Means ZERO. No tourist has ever been charged with "Not Being Legal".........
I live in the DR. I have no other place to get a driver's license. I tried to renew my US license back in the day,
but the state I was in picked up on the fact I no longer lived there, so that option disappeared. Oh well, I had already
become a legal resident in the DR and got my license here. That was over 20 years ago now. My situation is probably unique
since I had no other place to get or maintain a driver's license.

It is true that nobody cares if someone from a tourist card country stays permanently in the DR without legal residency.
They might as well eliminate legal residency for such people and just let them work here as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am exactly the same Windy

A person cannot be a’ citizen of the world’
You need an official residence

I learned the hard way as did my friend

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I live in the DR. I have no other place to get a driver's license. I tried to renew my US license back in the day,
but the state I was in picked up on the fact I no longer lived there, so that option disappeared. Oh well, I had already
become a legal resident in the DR and got my license here. That was over 20 years ago now. My situation is probably unique
since I had no other place to get or maintain a driver's license.

It is true that nobody cares if someone from a tourist card country stays permanently in the DR without legal residency.
They might as well eliminate legal residency for such people and just let them work here as well.
The only reason that I decided to go through this frustrating residency process is because I drive a car here in the DR and I fear my plight if I was ever involved in a serious motor vehicle accident that involves death or serious injury if I am here illegally. But if you don't drive a car and you don't live here fulltime, I see no good reason for going through this.

Reactions: aarhus