Expired Residency ? RENEW IT !!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I realize that this is an old thread but I can't find any more recent information about expired residency, so here goes. Hopefully somebody can help.
Dealing with Migracion bureaucracy is like banging your head against a brick wall, doubly so if you've gotten yourself into a non standard situation. It's only money - Hire a decent immigration lawyer to renew your residency, let them jump through the hoops for you. Step up to permanent residency as soon as you can to get away from yearly renewals

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks again for the suggestion. Maybe I will do that. In the meantime I have sent an email message to migracion explaining my situation and asking for their advice. I will post here if I get any response.

In regards to the cost for renewing residency, I see that the 5000 peso application fee is now 7000, and the 500 peso per month late fee is now 700 per month. Those are pretty hefty increases for just one year and I assume that the cedula fee and cedula late fees have probably increased accordingly. I don't mind wasting 600 pesos for Certificate of Good Conduct, but I certainly don't want to waste $80 to $100 for the repatriation insurance unless I know that I am continuing go through with this process.
That sure is bad news. I paid 5000 for the renewal fee. The repatriation insurance is a total rip-off. Nothing but a government money grab. Expats are paying to deport all the Haitians.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Dealing with Migracion bureaucracy is like banging your head against a brick wall, doubly so if you've gotten yourself into a non standard situation. It's only money - Hire a decent immigration lawyer to renew your residency, let them jump through the hoops for you. Step up to permanent residency as soon as you can to get away from yearly renewals
Actually that's exactly what I did for my first temporary residency. Never again. She screwed up nearly everything. It was a disaster. I've done everything myself ever since then with no regrets. But I don't disagree with what you are saying. Obviously I hired the wrong lawyer - lesson learned.

Reactions: Billp16

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
As we're on the residency topic does anyone have any idea of the minimum amount of days required, consecutively or not one needs to be physically in the country to keep their Permanent Residency status valid?. Example: If one was to take a job offer in Europe for 15 months would that jeopardize their permanent residency status here in the DR?...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Repatriation insurance is insurance to to pay for shipping your body back to your home country in case you get run over by a guagua or otherwise meet an untimely death. It's a scam but proof of this insurance from the Dominican government's designated provider is one of the documents that must be submitted with your application for temporary residence.
I have my residency and never had that insurance. But then I've had my residency since 2002 and didn't need it then. I just renewed for 10 years and don't have any type of insurance. It's on my list of to-do.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have my residency and never had that insurance. But then I've had my residency since 2002 and didn't need it then. I just renewed for 10 years and don't have any type of insurance. It's on my list of to-do.
If DGM didn't require you to have it, only get it if you really want it.

Reactions: Jan

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Do you have a source or a quote of this information by chance ? I would love to read more.
Unfortunately, no. I think I read it on one of the government websites(?). I doubt it's ever been enforced. Never heard of it being enforced anyway.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
What is this insurance everyone is talking about? I never had any insurance.

I have the investor category (Residencia por Inversion) as I have rental income from abroad, and that residency doesn't need you to take out insurance nor have a medical, at least in my case I have never needed to do either. It is more expensive to renew and you have to renew every two years, but there are tax advantages in DR and you are fast-tracked through renewal so they guarantee you will be in and out of Migracion in 1 hour.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have the investor category (Residencia por Inversion) as I have rental income from abroad, and that residency doesn't need you to take out insurance nor have a medical, at least in my case I have never needed to do either. It is more expensive to renew and you have to renew every two years, but there are tax advantages in DR and you are fast-tracked through renewal so they guarantee you will be in and out of Migracion in 1 hour.
Have you always had to renew every 2 years? That's a PITA.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Once you have 10 years of legal residency, you should be able to get a 10 year residency term. I was at that point when there was an issue where Migracion could not do it because of some lost documents and various incompetence, so I had to clear that up and then became a citizen instead of ever having to deal with them again. For anyone that can, I would recommend the citizenship route and be done with it. No more trips to Santo Domingo for that, at least.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was 2008.... I don't remember how long 'temporary' was.... but not long before 4yr terms were applied

Minimum Stay
Yes, no min stay but absence no longer than 6 mo is the rule....... if/when applied

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Hello,
I think if you don't want to lose your residency, you need to be in the country at least 183 days (same as many countries).
183 days every year? That's over six months. If so, that's another reason why repeat visitors who regularly overstay, such as snowbirds. wouldn't go through the hassle of the Residency process.