Expired Residency ? RENEW IT !!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The medical exam is a total joke. Nine million tourists entered the country this year and they couldn't care less about checking for any of the things done in the medical. I've had temporary residency here for 7 years and no medical needed to renew, but the moment I apply for permanent residency, suddenly they're now worried about what diseases I might have or if I'm using drugs. SMH.
My favorite thing to do is get blood typed for everything. As humans can change there blood type every time we need a new Dominican form. Total stupidity but there is a few dollars involved.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Once that is done we where told by the guy at immigration in Bávaro we come in to the Bávaro office, submit all the originals and wait a week or so and both the permanent residency card and cedula will be available for pick up in Bávaro.
This is all very true, you will leave all your originals in Bavaro, then be called back to have your picture taken then be called back again to pick up the card, it's super easy as that office is a dream compared to the Capital. I was fortunate to have my medical done at La Referencia in Bavaro, of course I had to do it twice as they lost the first draw. My wife went three months later and was told NO GO, she had to go to the Capital for hers. I think the lab (La Refferencia) screwed up too many times and was unreliable so Migracion dropped them, a real bummer for sure... Your new Cedula is not issued by the immigration office but the JCE is just a ten minute drive away, super quick, super easy. Take the stairs on the left when you get inside and head to the second floor and you'll be out in 10 minutes..

Reactions: melphis and cavok

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
This is all very true, you will leave all your originals in Bavaro, then be called back to have your picture taken then be called back again to pick up the card, it's super easy as that office is a dream compared to the Capital. I was fortunate to have my medical done at La Referencia in Bavaro, of course I had to do it twice as they lost the first draw. My wife went three months later and was told NO GO, she had to go to the Capital for hers. I think the lab (La Refferencia) screwed up too many times and was unreliable so Migracion dropped them, a real bummer for sure... Your new Cedula is not issued by the immigration office but the JCE is just a ten minute drive away, super quick, super easy. Take the stairs on the left when you get inside and head to the second floor and you'll be out in 10 minutes..
Could you let me know where the JCE office is in the Bávaro/ PC area

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Could you let me know where the JCE office is in the Bávaro/ PC area

I have no idea if this link will work here in the forum...

OR a capture...

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 8.31.57 AM.png

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Isn't the only place a legal resident can get a cedula still in Santo Domingo? Or did they expand that to some or all other JCE offices?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Isn't the only place a legal resident can get a cedula still in Santo Domingo? Or did they expand that to some or all other JCE offices?
I can't speak about the rest of the country but this Punta Cana / Bavaro office renews them without any problem. Obviously a valid residency card is needed to obtain a renewal.

Reactions: melphis

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can't speak about the rest of the country but this Punta Cana / Bavaro office renews them without any problem. Obviously a valid residency card is needed to obtain a renewal.
Then there are two places that do it, at least. I don't think any of the other JCE's will provide a cedula to a legal resident.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Bit of story. Once we sold our place on the beach, we wanted to move on as at that point we spent 15 years (5 to 8 months per year) and were Dominicaned out. We let our residency lapse as we wanted to explore other places. We sent long term rental requests to at least 100 different properties in 7 US states and 6 different Caribbean countries. We had 4 responses all at over $4000.00 USD per month.

There was no way we are going to endure a Canadian prairie winter so here we are. So based on all that and we can get a great place here for $1000.00 USD per month and we have great friends here and are very happy renters. It was a no brainer.

If the penalty for late renewal is in fact $700 RD per month we are looking at about $15,000 RD each plus the cost of renewal. So in hindsight we should have renewed but due to wanting to leave and having to leave due to covid we are looking at a lot of money for residency. With any luck we can get a 10 year as this will be our 3rd or 4th permanent.

I will keep you updated as things progress.
Maybe the experience you have with the DR makes it possible to find a cheaper rental. Many things always turns out to be more expensive when you are new to a place. The DR is also the cheapest place for me as I know it and have friends and a network.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Then I see no reason they could not do it at every JCE these days for legal residents
The one in Santiago appears to be a special "foreigner" JCE. Based on the address I saw, it's in the plaza where you go to renew your passport. With all the expats on the north coast, probably the heaviest concentration anywhere, you would think they could do this in Puerto Plata, too.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
UPDATE: Although I am not the OP, I resurrected this seemingly dead thread a week ago with post #42 seeking assistance on how to get my Certificate of Good Conduct in order to renew my temporary residency for the 5th year. The government website where I always got it in the past was refusing to issue the Certificate because my cedula expired 6 months ago. That website instructed me to contact the Junta Central Electoral to find out why my cedula is no longer valid. But I already know why it is no longer valid – it’s expired. I sent messages to the email address on the migracion website requesting assistance on how I should proceed but no response.

So then I went back to the website that issues these Certificates and attempted to get the Certificate using my passport instead of my cedula. Even though they had already taken my 600 peso fee before advising me that they would not issue the Certificate, I don’t mind paying the fee again. But I kept getting the same result. Somehow they knew that I was that gringo with the expired cedula and there was no way that they were going to spit out a Certificate. I tried entering my passport information using a VPN with different browser as well as a different email address. But no dice.

So today I drove to the Palacio de Justica in Puerto Plata as Cavok had suggested. Apparently that's the agency that actually issues the Certificates so I thought that made sense. The guard at the door directed me to the appropriate office and fortunately there were no other customers. I explained to the lady behind the glass barrier why I was there and after taking photos of my passport and my online payment receipt, she told me to go sit down. After waiting about 40 minutes, she called me back to the booth with a document in her hand. I assumed that was my Certificate. But no such luck. Instead it was simply a document confirming my request and ordering me to appear in person next week on November 29 at the same place. I asked if there might be some way to obtain my Certificate online and was told absolutely not. I need to return to the same location in 5 days. Not sure if there will be a hearing for me present my argument on what a good person I am or what. I’m just amazed that something that had always been so easy and routine has suddenly become so difficult.

And in case anybody is wondering, I have never been arrested or charged with anything in either my home country or this country, and I have no outstanding traffic fines. My record is clean. I will appear before them on Wednesday of next week as ordered but if I do not walk out of there with a Certificate in my hand then this will be the end of this nonsense. I will simply forget about residency and pay the overstay fine/fee. It’s just not worth the hassle.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
rhanson1. Too bad about that.

Nonsense is why I became a citizen instead of keeping residency.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
rhanson1. Too bad about that.

Nonsense is why I became a citizen instead of keeping residency.
I am admittedly unfamiliar with the requirements to obtain citizenship but I thought you still had to secure residency first. Pehaps I am wrong. And then I understand you need to have an interview in Spanish to prove your fluency in the native language. I'm afraid I wouldn't impress anybody with that. I've heard that one way to simply the process is to marry a Dominican but I can guarantee that ain't hapnin'.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
UPDATE: Although I am not the OP, I resurrected this seemingly dead thread a week ago with post #42 seeking assistance on how to get my Certificate of Good Conduct in order to renew my temporary residency for the 5th year. The government website where I always got it in the past was refusing to issue the Certificate because my cedula expired 6 months ago. That website instructed me to contact the Junta Central Electoral to find out why my cedula is no longer valid. But I already know why it is no longer valid – it’s expired. I sent messages to the email address on the migracion website requesting assistance on how I should proceed but no response.

So then I went back to the website that issues these Certificates and attempted to get the Certificate using my passport instead of my cedula. Even though they had already taken my 600 peso fee before advising me that they would not issue the Certificate, I don’t mind paying the fee again. But I kept getting the same result. Somehow they knew that I was that gringo with the expired cedula and there was no way that they were going to spit out a Certificate. I tried entering my passport information using a VPN with different browser as well as a different email address. But no dice.

So today I drove to the Palacio de Justica in Puerto Plata as Cavok had suggested. Apparently that's the agency that actually issues the Certificates so I thought that made sense. The guard at the door directed me to the appropriate office and fortunately there were no other customers. I explained to the lady behind the glass barrier why I was there and after taking photos of my passport and my online payment receipt, she told me to go sit down. After waiting about 40 minutes, she called me back to the booth with a document in her hand. I assumed that was my Certificate. But no such luck. Instead it was simply a document confirming my request and ordering me to appear in person next week on November 29 at the same place. I asked if there might be some way to obtain my Certificate online and was told absolutely not. I need to return to the same location in 5 days. Not sure if there will be a hearing for me present my argument on what a good person I am or what. I’m just amazed that something that had always been so easy and routine has suddenly become so difficult.

And in case anybody is wondering, I have never been arrested or charged with anything in either my home country or this country, and I have no outstanding traffic fines. My record is clean. I will appear before them on Wednesday of next week as ordered but if I do not walk out of there with a Certificate in my hand then this will be the end of this nonsense. I will simply forget about residency and pay the overstay fine/fee. It’s just not worth the hassle.

No worries, it is normal

A certifacado de Buena conducto is delivered in 5 mn at the Palacio de justicia, in person, on presentation of a cedula and the impuesta.

However with a foreign passport, it is 5 working days.

You can also ( at least in Santiago ) send somebody to pick it up.

Reactions: cavok

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Note to self - do not let residency expire.

Honestly, the only hurdle was the certicado de buena conducto, as I paid the 600 pesos impuesta using my cedula as ID.

It was only when I got to the tribunal that they told me I should have used my passport as ID. Credit due where credit is due, they took a copy of my passport and sorted it out. A week later I picked up the certificado.

All the other requisotos were the same as a regular renewal ( if I remember correctly).